Qualified dividend tax question

sailfish

Dryer sheet aficionado
Qualified dividends in a taxable account are taxed at 0% if total income falls under the 25% tax bracket.
Are the the qualified dividends figured into the total amount or kept separate and not included until the other income has determined the tax bracket. In other words , can the Q dividends carry you over into the 25% bracket or are they only taxed afterwards on a separate basis?
Our income in retirement is 25% Soc Sec, 50% IRA distribution, and 25% Qualified dividends from a taxable account.
Hope I made myself clear on this.
Thanks

QD are taxed at 0% if your income is below the 15% bracket, Publication 17 (2013), Your Federal Income Tax

QD count towards your income. Try the Taxcaster tool at turbotax https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/calculators/taxcaster/

No, they are taxed at 0% if your taxable income is in the 15% bracket or lower (not below 15% because it include the 15% bracket). OP had it right, if your bracket is lower than 25%.

The maximum rate of tax on qualified dividends is:

0% on any amount that otherwise would be taxed at a 10% or 15% rate.

15% on any amount that otherwise would be taxed at rates greater than 15% but less than 39.6%.

20% on any amount that otherwise would be taxed at a 39.6% rate.

And like LTCGs the income is counted, it is just when taxes are calculated different rates are applied one for ordinary income and another for qualified dividends and LTCGs.

Last edited:
Don't know why I said 25% in the first line I wrote. Thanks for the reply. I'll check out the app.

No, they are taxed at 0% if your taxable income is in the 15% bracket or lower (not below 15% because it include the 15% bracket). OP had it right, if your bracket is lower than 25%.

Yes I meant in the 15% ( below 25% ). :facepalm:

I saw a good demonstration of how these parallel tax brackets work when I was preparing my own taxes back in 2008, the year I cashed out my company stock and ERed. (I was able to cash it out using NUA, or Net Unrealized Appreciation, and as a result most of it was taxed as LTCGs just like QDs are.)

My taxable income, excluding the huge LTCGs, was in the 15% bracket. This meant that a small portion of the LTCGs from the sale of the company stock ended up being taxed at 0% with the remainder of it (most of it) taxed at 15%, the highest rate applicable at the time. Of course, while this huge LTCG was mostly taxed at only 15%. it still tossed the rest of my income into the AMT so the small saving from having some of that income taxed at 0% was dwarfed by how much more I had to pay from the AMT. Still, paying only 15% on that huge, lump-sum payout was a key part for me to be able to ER when I did.

Back
Top Bottom