Beginner Telescope?

travelover

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
My DW has expressed an interest in getting a telescope to look at the sky, but I know nothing about what would be appropriate. I suspect that this is something that could be a good Craigslist score if I knew what I was looking for. I was thinking of spending less than $200. Suggestions?

Check out the Edmund Scientific Astroscan. The basic model is about $290. Edmund also sells other brands. The astroscan is easy to carry around but is quite a wide field scope, good for deep sky objects and less good for solar system moon and planets. You might want to do some reading up on focal length and field of view.

Telescopes - Meade, Celestron, telescope kits & accessories | Edmund Scientific

Last edited:
+1
I bought an Astroscan about 20 years ago, and have been using it regularly ever since. With a few extra eyepieces, it can be used nicely as a terrestrial telescope as well as for stargazing.

A simple, relatively inexpensive gadget, but your first view of Saturn may truly startle you!

The upside of something like this is that you can easily see if you really have an interest. If so, you'll know enough to start looking into higher grade telescopes. If not, you can always sell an Astroscan for much of what you paid for it.

This one is a lot less. Is it likely that it would have some issues, like a dirty mirror or alignment problem?

Edmund Scientific Co Astroscan Telescope with Lenses | eBay
The Astroscan is sealed so as long as the eyepiece hole is covered the mirror will remain clean and the mirror is fixed in place so alignment is not a problem. The clear cover over the aperature could get scratched but the scope comes with a cover for that so as long as the previous owner kept reasonable care of it there should be no problems. The one at your link shows the aperature and eyepiece covers in place.

Last edited:
I like the 6" Newtonian reflector. I built one in high school. It's a standard starter for a serious amateur. The bigger mirror will allow more magnification and a brighter image. However, it won't be very portable.

Bought one of those cheap (<$100) refractor telescopes years ago and it was useless for star viewing, too hard to keep in focus. Only use it on low magnification as a spotting scope to check for wildlife in the mountains behind the house.

I just wanted to second what Braumeister said about your first view of Saturn, it truly is spectacular. A few years ago I was in the primitive camping area of Icelandic State Park west of my home town viewing Saturn. the park has good dark skies. I had been there about 20 minutes when a guy camping at the park asked what I was doing. I showed him Saturn and we talked for a few minutes and he left. Shortly thereafter he came back with his kids to look. From there it got quite strange and within a half hour I had about 40 people lined up waiting to look. That was with a Questar 3.5 inch Maksutov scope.

Bought one of those cheap (<$100) refractor telescopes years ago and it was useless for star viewing, too hard to keep in focus. Only use it on low magnification as a spotting scope to check for wildlife in the mountains behind the house.
The cheap refractors sold by places like Walmart are useless for any sky viewing. I know people that have given their kids one of those scopes and they are so bad they pretty much turn the kids off of astronomy. My first scope was also a 6 inch reflector F8 that I built myself. It worked very well but they're kind of a PITA to haul around and keep aligned. The Astroscan is a four inch relector.

Last edited:
Is it worth buying and messing with the storage of a telescope if you don't live in a reasonably dark sky area?

How about going to McDonald Observatory and enjoying one of their star parties (or equivalent) instead? Great viewing and you don't have to set up any gear!

I started with a 6" Dobsonian after researching and discovering that for the money it is better than a refractor. It is not portable but once set up provides better viewing. I lived in the Dallas suburbs at the time and it was useful for a number of deep space objects (Jupiter and Saturn) as well as great views of the moon, who's light you actually have to filter, when full as it is too bright.

The choices really seem to come down to portability and then of course cost. I sought out an astronomy group that met at the local community college for assistance before buying, they will know the best source and may even have used equipment for sale.

Star charts are good for learning when things come into view for the area you are in.

Dark sky areas certainly improve the enjoyment and the astronomy clubs often have private sites for viewing. The Dallas area club used an old house foundation at a site in Atoka, OK.

Happy stargazing!!

I like the 6" Newtonian reflector. I built one in high school. It's a standard starter for a serious amateur. The bigger mirror will allow more magnification and a brighter image. However, it won't be very portable.
I built one with my daughter and it works quite well. But it would be a lot more convenient (and space efficient) to buy something like the Astroscan.

OP here. Thanks for the replies so far. The compact and rugged Astroscan looks like just the ticket for DW - reasonably cheap, easy to move and set up. I am currently on the hunt via eBay and Craigslist to find a used one.

We live in a darkish exburb and would take it with us camping where we could definitely have dark skies. And they seem to hold their value, so if it doesn't work out it can be moved along. ;)

If you ever want to meet your neighbors, just set your telescope up in the front yard and wait for them to come out of the woodwork. It's irresistible.

The Astroscan is sealed so as long as the eyepiece hole is covered the mirror will remain clean and the mirror is fixed in place so alignment is not a problem. The clear cover over the aperature could get scratched but the scope comes with a cover for that so as long as the previous owner kept reasonable care of it there should be no problems. The one at your link shows the aperture and eyepiece covers in place.
I ended up buying the eBay Astroscan with an extra lense for about $150 with shipping - half new price. This one is made in Japan, new ones are Chinese.

I hope DW likes it.

It is fun manually tracking down Messier objects but if you really enjoy this thing you will start drooling over a 9 or 11 inch "goto" scope where you can just dial in the object you want to view. The market is up and we need diversions in ER so what the heck.

It is fun manually tracking down Messier objects but if you really enjoy this thing you will start drooling over a 9 or 11 inch "goto" scope where you can just dial in the object you want to view. The market is up and we need diversions in ER so what the heck.
For now I'm going with the KISS principle. I have several cameras, but the simple one takes the most pictures. Hoping this will apply to telescope use.

The classic advice for a beginner's scope is not a telescope at all, but a pair of binoculars with 7x50 being a very good size for astronomy. Binocs give a wide field of view making it easy to find things, and you will learn your way around the sky while doing it. Plus, if you decide to take the plunge and invest in a "real" telescope, you will still use the binocs a lot. I own an 18" Dobsonian (hence my screen name) but I still routinely use my binoculars. Plus, you can use binoculars at ball games, etc.

The Astroscan is a very close second recommendation. It also gives a wide field (although not as wide), and you will also keep and use it if and when you go for a bigger scope. One big advantage of the astroscan is that it uses standard, 1.25" eyepieces instead of the cheaper 0.965" eyepieces that come with the el-cheapo refractors at Wally World (a/k/a "Christmas Trash Scopes"). A good friend of mine still loves his astroscan after several decades of use and his main scope is a 25"!

Some celestial objects are quite large (in apparent size against the sky, I mean) and need a wide field. For example, M31 - the Andromeda Galaxy - is far too large to fit into the field of view of almost all telescopes except the astroscan. The occasional good comet also demands the astroscan. I could list others.

A second "purchase" might be to join your local astronomy club. There you will find all sorts of good advice.

Good luck, and clear skies!

EDIT: Forgot to mention to the OP to be sure to get something to deal with dew, especially a dew cap. I have attended astronomy club meetings where the entire meeting was devoted to how to deal with dew. As a minimum, have an old hair dryer handy if you're near power. Unless, of course, you live in the dry desert or something.

Last edited:
The classic advice for a beginner's scope is not a telescope at all, but a pair of binoculars with 7x50 being a very good size for astronomy....... !
Thanks. DW already spends a fair amount of time using the binoculars in conjunction with an iPad app to track the comings and goings up there

EDIT: Forgot to mention to the OP to be sure to get something to deal with dew, especially a dew cap. I have attended astronomy club meetings where the entire meeting was devoted to how to deal with dew. As a minimum, have an old hair dryer handy if you're near power. Unless, of course, you live in the dry desert or something.
Right. Edmund sells a dew cap for $16 including shipping. I may just make one, though.

No joy in Muddville

I ended up buying the eBay Astroscan with an extra lense for about $150 with shipping - half new price. This one is made in Japan, new ones are Chinese.

I hope DW likes it.

I got the scope today, but was alarmed to hear it clunk when I took it out of the box. One of the two cast iron counterbalance weights has broken loose and broken the mirror. :(

The good news is that the seller has cheerfully offered to refund my money, so it looks like my loss is limited to the $20 or so to ship it back.

Back to the hunt..........

If you are near Seattle, I have a 10" Dobsonian Orion SkyQuest series in excellent condition. It is rather a monster, almost 5 feet long. All manual though..no auto tracking. They are pretty inexpensive for the quality, but there is no way I can fit this in our RV when we ER next year so I am trying to downsize everything.

Back
Top Bottom