Server Upgrade tonight (Friday)

Janet H

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
Folks we have a server upgrade planned and anticipate that the forum will be offline for a little while late in the evening EST. Once we're back online you should see increased page load speed. Thanks in advance for your patience. :flowers:

Thanks and good luck, hope it goes as planned.

Just in case, I would like to wish everyone a fond farewell, and express my appreciation for your input over the past years.
:greetings10:

Just one isolated data point, but I should mention that since the upgrade, page load has been a LOT slower for me.

Just one isolated data point, but I should mention that since the upgrade, page load has been a LOT slower for me.

I see no slow down. You may want to clean your cashe or clear browsing data.

The site is working well for me. But generally any problems I have are related to my router, which is ancient (must-buy list for 2014).

Think I am having weird problems. I sign in. The site acknowledges I have signed in.
But when I click on a thread, when the page returns, I am not signed in. It tells me I am not allowed to post. Although I'm posting on this thread but am doing so as a "reply" which seems to be the only way I can do it.
I'll keep investigating but in the meantime...is anyone else having this issue?

Almost the same thing here this morning. I logged in, got the portal page as usual, then every time I tried to go to a different page it showed me logged out again.

I did reboot but didn't try again for several hours, now all seems back to normal.

Think I am having weird problems. I sign in. The site acknowledges I have signed in.
But when I click on a thread, when the page returns, I am not signed in. It tells me I am not allowed to post. Although I'm posting on this thread but am doing so as a "reply" which seems to be the only way I can do it.

I received a PM from another member who is having exactly the same problem. I'll be sure to let the site team know of the issue.

bbbamI said:
know if they are working on the forum tonight?

I can sign in and access PMs, but when I go to the forum, it shows me logged out. I can't reply to any of the threads.

Please check the "remember me" button when you log in.

We use cookies to keep you logged in at page changes and the new server means new cookies. When you first login a cookie is set to keep you logged in at page changes. If you don't tic the remember me box, the cookie is purged by most computers when you leave the page. At the next page you are no longer logged in a various site features begin to become unavailable. Each subsequent page change makes the issue worse and eventually you will probably receive a "no permissions" message when you try to access account features.

If simply checking that box doesn't do the trick you may need to do this:

• Log out
  • Empty your temp internet files (cache)
  • Delete the old E-R.org cookie from your browser settings

If you are using a mobile device you may need to reboot the device and login again.

This happened to me too using Safari on an iPad. After I checked the "remember me" button it seemed to be resolved.

Perhaps someone ate the cookies! :LOL:

Last edited:
That seems to work guys and gals. Since I had not changed any settings I wasn't looking to have to recheck the "remember me" button. :facepalm:

Please check the "remember me" button when you log in.

We use cookies to keep you logged in at page changes and the new server means new cookies. When you first login a cookie is set to keep you logged in at page changes. If you don't tic the remember me box, the cookie is purged by most computers when you leave the page. At the next page you are no longer logged in a various site features begin to become unavailable. Each subsequent page change makes the issue worse and eventually you will probably receive a "no permissions" message when you try to access account features.

If simply checking that box doesn't do the trick you may need to do this:

• Log out
  • Empty your temp internet files (cache)
  • Delete the old E-R.org cookie from your browser settings
If you are using a mobile device you may need to reboot the device and login again.

My login is disappearing too. I have re-booted, cleared my cache and deleted cookies (not necessarily in that order), but my login still gets dropped when I go to a new thread. I can't vote in the "would you use pot?" poll, or edit my reply on that thread, even if I go right to the thread and enter my login and PW. I'm using Firefox and it's set to remember cookies until I close Firefox, but I get dropped anyway.

I haven't checked "Remember Me". Isn't there any alternative to doing so? ISTM that having the computer remember my password and input it automatically runs completely counter to the reason for having a password in the first place. :nonono:

Remember me does not remember your username and password. It just keeps you logged in until your specifically log out.

So will there be another server update tomorrow (Friday)? And every Friday there after?

Perhaps the title of this thread should be updated to a date?

-ERD50

Remember me does not remember your username and password. It just keeps you logged in until your specifically log out.

I didn't used to have to do this - click the "remember me button" with every log in. In fact, I never had to do this until the most recent server upgrade.
Clicking on "remember me" was never part of my login. I promise it wasn't! It was as if it always 'remembered me". :)

Not complaining just saying.

Was this a change?

I didn't used to have to do this - click the "remember me button" with every log in. In fact, I never had to do this until the most recent server upgrade.
Clicking on "remember me" was never part of my login. I promise it wasn't! It was as if it always 'remembered me". :)

Not complaining just saying.

Was this a change?

+1:confused:

We've made a few adjustments to the login process today. You may have to log in one more time but after that things should be back to normal-ish.

We've made a few adjustments to the login process today. You may have to log in one more time but after that things should be back to normal-ish.

Thanks Janet.

Thank you Janet! Looks normal to me too! :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom