Hello, I'm new to this site.

jonzy1954

Confused about dryer sheets
Hello everyone,
I'm 60, married, and hoping to retire in 2 years.
Pretty sure I'm ok financially to retire, but still have some questions.

Living in Minnesota, this winter has convinced me that I have GOT to find a warmer place to spend the winters. I just don't know where that would be.

Look forward to learning from everyone.

Stay warm

Welcome jonzy1954.

Yes, those Minnesota winters are enough to make almost anyone yearn for warmer climes!

I think REWahoo is trying to discourage anyone moving to Texas:

Texas is infested with scorpions, rattlesnakes, fire ants, crazy raspberry ants, cockroaches on steroids, killer bees, mosquitoes, ticks, chiggers, tarantulas, brown recluse spiders, love bugs, swarming crickets, copperheads, cottonmouths, rabid skunks, wild hogs, alligators, oppressive heat & humidity, bleak desolate scenery, dirty beaches, polluted air, dust storms, drought, wildfires, water shortages, recurring floods, tornadoes, hurricanes, rednecks, huge piles of flaming mulch, spontaneously combusting playgrounds, roads hot as flowing lava, the stench of natural and unnatural gasses, amoebic meningitis lurking in area lakes, recurring ebola virus outbreaks, flesh eating bacteria, staggering homeowner insurance rates, unbelievably high property taxes, mandatory death sentences for DUI convictions, polygamous religious sects, and, lest we forget, doesn't look kindly towards Yankees (per Orchidflower).

Welcome Jonzy1954. I am also trying to figure out a bit milder climate to retire to. We are in the Chicago burbs and this has been the coldest, most snowy winter in the 27 years we have lived here. This afternoon I was looking for lake front properites on Table Rock Lake near Branson Mo. Nice area with milder winters, but may be a bit too isolated for us.

If you find that ideal warmer please be sure to let me know!

I'm a fellow Minnesotan (St. Paulite) who has also been convinced by this winter that I will become a snow bird in retirement. Not sure where but have already begun the search!

I think REWahoo is trying to discourage anyone moving to Texas:

But did he say that most of that stuff only happens on Wednesdays? The part about Yankees ain't true. I'm one and it only took me 20 years to get let into a two-step bar in Pasadena.:dance:

Welcome Jonzy1954. I was born in Texas and can tell you its a great place to live for those who are self reliant. Its the Lone Star state who's unofficial motto is" live free or die" . One word of caution, our Texas summers can be just as brutal as your winters. I will be semi retired in 2 years at age 55. After that, I plan on spending my summers somewhere up north returning to Texas after September.

If you want warmer than Minnesota, according to this source you have 46 other states to choose from The Coldest States in the U.S - Yahoo Voices - voices.yahoo.com. :)

Welcome to the forum jonzy! How about coming to the great state of Wisconsin? It's waaaay down on MichaelB's cold list... number 8 versus Minnesota's 4. Actually, I have a feeling we won't be far behind you if you head south. Feels like we've been around zero this whole winter. Brrrrrrrr!

Thank you for the feedback.
I suspect we will take the 'snowbird' route. With most of our family in MN, we might spend winters someplace warm and the rest of year in MN.
And, Texas has been on our radar with one son and his family in Austin, and my 86 year old mother in Alamo.
Love to hear from others who have worked there way through the decision.

I hear you, I've never been a good 'sitter', like to stay active and involved. Lake front property sounds wonderful, but I keep asking myself if I will get bored

Take a look at NW Arkansas (Bella Vista), we have the hills and woods of the Ozarks, a fairly mild winter (ok, other than this year, which has been crazy) unbelievably low real estate prices and property taxes. Seven lakes (sorry not 10,000) and 8 golf courses.

The only reason I chime in is the fact that there are a ton of Minnesota transplants here so they must all have found something they liked about the area.

Jonzy 1954...greetings from a fellow Minnesotan. This winter has been brutal, no question there. I'd love to snowbird someday, DH not so much. Nice to have you here!

I second those who suggest you should check out Arizona - Tuscon, Phoenix area, Flagstaff area. I don't live there myself, but I love the area.

Welcome to the forum Jonzy 1954. You will get tons of useful information from the members thrown in with some off the wall sarcasm that will keep you learning and laughing. Enjoy and be forewarned that this place becomes addicting!

I cant help much with the warmer weather winter destinations. With 15 years until retirement we are just starting to think about this as well. Right now the Carolina's are looking good but still a bunch of places to investigate.

Thank you for the feedback.
I suspect we will take the 'snowbird' route. With most of our family in MN, we might spend winters someplace warm and the rest of year in MN.
And, Texas has been on our radar with one son and his family in Austin, and my 86 year old mother in Alamo.
Love to hear from others who have worked there way through the decision.

We've done this in reverse. For the last 4 years we have wintered in Texas and spent our summers in cooler climates.

Getting closer to the day, we are thinking of moving a few hundred miles south. In the northeast that is a couple of a states. In March we are driving to Tampa, so expecting something defrosted.

Welcome to the digital village.

After this winter, it may have been a good idea to be invested in Florida real estate...
I'm in Florida, suddenly seeing one downside. Got my first quote yesterday for a new roof. The sound you heard was my jaw dropping.

Welcome to the forum! DW and me are heading to Costa Rica in November. We can't handle 1 more winter here in Pittsburgh.

Welcome! If it's no snow AND no rain you're looking for, California is the place to be lately :)

Costa Rica is on our list, sounds like a great place.
Are you doing the permanent move, or just for the winter?
Love to hear more about your experience..
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom