Warm places to visit "on the cheap"

dontworry

Recycles dryer sheets
This Minnesota winter has been long and ugly. DH and I (ok maybe just me :) have talked about snowbirding someday but when it comes right down to it, I doubt that we will. We have pets and I don't see myself giving that part of my life up. Also, we have a big family and they all live in Minnesota. We have made three trips to Mexico (South of Cancun) during the middle of winter and those trips really seemed to make the winter more bearable. We may go to Mexico again but I am wondering about inexpensive southern United States trips. We really enjoy more rural, less populated areas near water (ocean or lake). We like to camp as well. I am not thrilled about flying but will do it if needed. Any suggestions?

You may want to look at the Myrtle Beach, South Carolina area. This winter was colder but most winters there are mild. There are great off season rates. You could rent a house for a month in the winter there and get a really good deal.

Oh I forgot, if you have a camper look at Huntington Beach State Park with a nice campground, just south of Myrtle Beach. It is a great state park and they have a deal in the winter where you can rent a space for a month or so at a large discount. Not a rural area but right on the beach and once you are in the Park it feels like you are a million miles away.

don'tworry, greetings from another Minnesotan who is (as I type!) basking in the sun in Florida. It is unbelievably gorgeous here--78, dry, sunny. I am currently in Orlando at a Disney resort hotel but am leaving tomorrow for a few days on Clearwater Beach. This is my first visit so I can't tell you yet about the Clearwater hotel I booked, but it was definitely not expensive. PM me if you want the name.

We are going to snowbird between WI and FL. That is why we are going to RV back and forth (3 dogs) We will never give them up so many plans are made around them.

That's also why all our travel will be in US at parks so they can go. I hate even the idea of kenneling them.

We are going to snowbird between WI and FL. That is why we are going to RV back and forth (3 dogs) We will never give them up so many plans are made around them.

That's also why all our travel will be in US at parks so they can go. I hate even the idea of kenneling them.

Us, too. "No beagle left behind."

We are from northern Michigan, retired for 4 years now. We have a big dog (yellow lab). After 35+ years of Michigan winters, we decided it was time to spend part of the winter in a warmer climate, so we started coming to the Gulf Coast of Texas 4 years ago (for 2 months each winter). We bring our dog, and rent a house that allows pets. It's great down here, and we are SO GLAD we missed the worst of this winter up north, in particular, as brutal as it has been. We have lots of family back home also, but I'm not going to stay home and shovel snow all winter just to stay close to family.........they will be there when we get home. I am actually thinking of staying for 3 months down here next winter, but we'll see how it goes. The cost of renting a small house here is very reasonable, in my opinion (easily affordable, even for us, and we are quite frugal). And we are on the water.....if you rent a house off-water, the cost is less.

My DW and I moved to the South Carolina coast a couple of years ago from Michigan. We love it here. Low cost of living, friendly people, low RE taxes. The only surprise was wind and flood coverage.

I have an aunt/uncle who spend a couple months at Hilton (or is it Hilten?) Head during the winter. They love it. I can see possibly spending a couple of months in warmer weather during our fun MN winters ... If we could bring our dogs with! My dream would be to camp (in a nice comfy camper of course). Time will tell. Thanks so much for all the input!

My DW and I moved to the South Carolina coast a couple of years ago from Michigan. We love it here. Low cost of living, friendly people, low RE taxes. The only surprise was wind and flood coverage.

One DS is attending Clemson currently, so we want to do a bit of SC exploring - including the coastal regions. I really like the state so far.

I've traveled on the cheap most all my life starting with backpacking and traveling in an old VW bus over most of the US. I wish camping was still an option for me but there are many camping areas in National Parks, State Parks, and private campgrounds that have cabins for rent if you don't have an RV of some kind. (Google is you friend to find them. Google Earth is handy too). Once you get to the general area you want then get off the interstate and on to the back roads to see the "real" country stopping in local diners, bakeries, local points of interest, etc. while enjoying warmer weather.

Anywhere north and south of I-10 would be a good start for warm weather during the winter.

Cheers!

We moved to coastal SC 5 years ago to get away from the northeastern winters and congestion. We are in a smallish town on the ICW just north of Hilton Head. It is certainly much warmer than the northeast or Midwest in the winter but it is not "beach" weather for most of the winter months. You can get some warm days (we hit near 80 this week) but we actually had a tiny bit of snow this year (just a dusting). This year was much colder than the norm. We love it here but if you are looking for guaranteed warm weather, you may need to go further south. However, you can get really good deals here in the winter.

Check out the KOA at Maderira Beach, Fl. Bring your camper or rent a cabin. Pet friendly and very convenient less than five minutes to the beach.

I'd be looking for house rentals if you don't want to do the RV thing. Lots of places to choose from in the southwest or along the Gulf Coast.

If you want truly tropical, low cost, in the US and are willing to fly, you can camp in Puerto Rico pretty easily and cheaply. Nice camping especially on the beach in Vieques. The San Juan weather station has never recorded a temp below 60F or above 95F.

It sounds like DH and I need to keep our Bay Area house, buy FIL's SoCal house, move between the two, and share with select ER folks. Win-win.

I would drive to the Gulf Coast with your animals. Cheapest way to get warm. Rent a double-wide for cheaper accommodation. Go further south if you need the warmth.

Oh yeah...forgot to say that we don't like to spend a lot of money! ;)
The Texas Rio Grande Valley is a very popular spot for snowbirds on a budget. Not our cup of tea, but it must have some appeal as thousands from 'up nort' head there in their RV's each winter. Every year between Christmas and New Years Day we witness a huge migration, with flocks of RV's flying (OK, lumbering) south down I-35. Texas RV Resorts, RV Park directory, Rio Grande Valley TRVA

Interested in what area of SC you chose. DW and I are looking at Charleston area. We have another 8 years before we move though. Waiting until our twins graduate from high school before relocating.

Interested in what area of SC you chose. DW and I are looking at Charleston area. We have another 8 years before we move though. Waiting until our twins graduate from high school before relocating.

And then what happens if one of both marry and you now have grandchildren? Just curious.....would you still leave?

I grew up in Chicago and joined the Navy when I was 18. I met my wife some 30+ years ago. We currently live in Jacksonville Fl. and have also lived in the Virginia Beach area. We often talked about where we will relocate to when we retire, right up until our first grandchild was born and my wife said: "I'm not going anywhere now"! :)

Mike

Rent a house for a month or two? Interesting.

Obviously fully furnished etc. Am curious about experiences regarding living with other peoples stuff.

That's why the DW and I want to move out of Wisconsin as soon as they graduate. Hopefully they'll follow us down there and end up settling there. We don't have any family in the area as we moved here for work 9 years ago. The winters here are absolutely brutal.

That's why the DW and I want to move out of Wisconsin as soon as they graduate. Hopefully they'll follow us down there and end up settling there. We don't have any family in the area as we moved here for work 9 years ago. The winters here are absolutely brutal.

We have a family cottage in the Lake Geneva area. Actually, Lake Como. :)

Mike

It seems like everytime there is a tradgedy in my family, and I have to go back to Chicago, it happens in the winter time. Not sure I could live in that winter climate as an adult, even though I loved it as a kid. When I retired from the Navy I suggested to my wife (my kids were still very young) that we consider moving to Chicago since my entire family is still there. She asked me if I was crazy asking her to leave Florida for Chicago. We've been in Florida ever since! :)

Mike

Back
Top Bottom