TED

I'm not a fan. Maybe I hit a bunch of bad ones. I don't like some of the agendas being pushed in the background. I find some of the presentations pompous.

+1.

There is also flat out lying. One broad was proclaiming how wonderful it was that there were more people alive today than had ever died. I did a college paper on this in the 80's; then, the estimate was that the total population since "the beginning" to present was about 50 billion. The extrapolation (wars, famine, population spurts, etc) was fairly detailed.

More people alive today than had ever died - unadulterated h0rse sh!t.

The latest was a guy with a story about a startup with flying drones in Africa, and how wonderful it is that breakthrough innovation now is happening there, with locals.

Turns out, the guy is the CEO and all of the high-end technical staff is in Silicon Valley working remotely, funded by some of the big guns there.

Signal to noise ratio has dropped significantly, but there still are a few wonderful pearls and talks there.

I enjoy the TED radio hour on NPR. Great podcast if you don't want to watch.

+1.

There is also flat out lying. One broad was proclaiming how wonderful it was that there were more people alive today than had ever died. I did a college paper on this in the 80's; then, the estimate was that the total population since "the beginning" to present was about 50 billion. The extrapolation (wars, famine, population spurts, etc) was fairly detailed.

More people alive today than had ever died - unadulterated h0rse sh!t.
Wow. It's over 100 B now. You would think you could Google your assertions before popping off with them on TED.

There's some great stuff out there.Sort of makes me feel smart for a few minutes, until I forget it all.

There's also some pretty squishy stuff. But that's what's great about it - something for everyone.
+1. Some great stuff and other (let’s call it) esoteric stuff. It would a dull world if there wasn’t something for most everyone...

OK, I will go back and watch a few. Maybe best when I am tired at the end of my day?

We had an interesting member named Ted years ago, made me think this was a post about him:)

Back
Top Bottom