What is your pet peeve of the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today's pet peeve is all those "points" cards that I feel compelled to carry, making for a very fat wallet. Today I spent about 20 minutes struggling with a slow Walgreens online system to register my "rewards" card only to find that my seemingly massive number of points added up to about $3.50.

I keep all those cards in a small old card case in the console of my car. When I go to a store where one of them is appropriate, I take it out and put it in my pocket. When I leave the store it goes back in the case as soon as I get back to my car.

It's the only solution, because I have so many the stack is about half an inch thick!

I have an app that will record most cards auto-magically using the phone camera. Other ones, I type in the name of the company and the card number. Beats carrying so many cards around.

I have an app that will record most cards auto-magically using the phone camera. Other ones, I type in the name of the company and the card number. Beats carrying so many cards around.

Yep- KeyRing.com. The only place I've found so far that won't work with an electronic version of the bar code is Costco. They want the physical card. I really like it for places such as Kroger or A&P which I visit only when I'm visiting family in the Carolinas, and for airline or hotel loyalty cards.

Yep- KeyRing.com. The only place I've found so far that won't work with an electronic version of the bar code is Costco.

I tried to be slick by providing my phone number once at the supermarket, they said they cant enter it by phone number. The cashier took pity on me and swiped her card for the discount.

My pet peeve today is DISH....

I stumbled across some movie channels a couple of days ago... every once in awhile we get free channels to view.... but they never tell us about them.... if you do not happen to come across them (which I rarely would look outside of my favorites) you have no way to know that you can view them....

REALLY!!!! If you want 'advertisement' to work you actually have to get it in front of your audience....

I was lucky to get a few movies recorded, but have no idea how long I had them... but, they are already gone....

Amazon prime video! Why do they decide to randomly change their menu?
Last night decided to watch a couple more Justified. They changed their menu so my watchlist was not there! Had to search for the show. But they must have heard my grumbling since it was back to normal this morning.

I keep all those cards in a small old card case in the console of my car. When I go to a store where one of them is appropriate, I take it out and put it in my pocket. When I leave the store it goes back in the case as soon as I get back to my car.

It's the only solution, because I have so many the stack is about half an inch thick!

+1 except it is in a velcro wallet. We also keep gift cards we get in there so that we can use them in the correct store.

when we remember.

which is not often..:facepalm:

The word: Heuristic.

I have yet to find a description or explanation of the meaning that I can actually understand.

My best guess is that it is some form of successive approximation to get a close enough result.

Maybe some sages on this forum can explain.

Last edited:
The word: Heuristic.

I have yet to find a description or explanation of the meaning that I can actually understand.

My best guess is that it is some form of successive approximation to get a close enough result.

Maybe some sages on this forum can explain.
The best definition is Rule of Thumb. In other words, a faster way to solve a situation without a lot of calculating.
An example is the "Rule of 72" where you divide the interest rate into 72 to determine how many years it takes for money to double.

The best definition is Rule of Thumb. In other words, a faster way to solve a situation without a lot of calculating.
An example is the "Rule of 72" where you divide the interest rate into 72 to determine how many years it takes for money to double.

Thanks. So there must be many rules of thumb to fit a variety of situations in problem solving. Each rule unique to the type of problem to be analyzed.

Today's pet peeve is people who don't say thank you for a favor done.
Twice this last month I've done rather time consuming favors for people with no thanks or even acknowledgement. Here's one: a person asked my local genealogical society for a document translation. I undertook it (I'm a volunteer) and worked for a couple hours on it since it was a handwritten 1900 civil document in Italian and not easy to read. I did a thorough job, double checked everything, sent her the translation via email and heard nothing back. After about a week, fearing the email had gone astray, I sent a follow up asking if she had received it. The reply was Yes I got it. That's it--no thank you. In my second instance of doing a favor of a different type for another person there was no response at all.
Is saying thank you a lost art these days?
Enough whining, but I feel rather peeved about this.

Twice this last month I've done rather time consuming favors for people with no thanks or even acknowledgement. Here's one: a person asked my local genealogical society for a document translation. I undertook it (I'm a volunteer) and worked for a couple hours on it since it was a handwritten 1900 civil document in Italian and not easy to read. I did a thorough job, double checked everything, sent her the translation via email and heard nothing back. After about a week, fearing the email had gone astray, I sent a follow up asking if she had received it. The reply was Yes I got it. That's it--no thank you. In my second instance of doing a favor of a different type for another person there was no response at all.

Thank you for posting this reminder to all of us how important those two little words can be in a person's life!

Next time, send it to me, Ill translate it all messed up:LOL:. Ill tell them that its an ancient curse on the family and that the curse is going to manifest itself on them with a fierce wickedness.

Thanks. So there must be many rules of thumb to fit a variety of situations in problem solving. Each rule unique to the type of problem to be analyzed.

I like to use my chess career as an example. A heuristic is a rule that generally works. If you follow it, you'll be generally correct without needing any real thought. Thus, I became a middling chess player with zero talent just by following a couple dozen heuristics, such as control space by placing bishops on open diagonals, or simplify the game by trading pieces as soon as you have a material advantage.
Sometimes, I'd fall victim to a trap that'd be obvious to others simply because I was advancing a pawn to control the queenside instead of paying attention to what my opponent was doing. If only I had know more heuristics!!

And here I thought that heuristic was a Frenchman with a wristwatch. :blush:

I like to use my chess career as an example. A heuristic is a rule that generally works. If you follow it, you'll be generally correct without needing any real thought. Thus, I became a middling chess player with zero talent just by following a couple dozen heuristics, such as control space by placing bishops on open diagonals, or simplify the game by trading pieces as soon as you have a material advantage.
Sometimes, I'd fall victim to a trap that'd be obvious to others simply because I was advancing a pawn to control the queenside instead of paying attention to what my opponent was doing. If only I had know more heuristics!!

Thanks for another bit towards my understanding. Seems then, it does not provide definite answer, but gets a good enough result, most of the time.

I happen to be reading a book called Thinking fast and slow. The author, an economist, uses the word frequently, in support of his postulates. Me thinks the word obfuscates more than shedding light. But then again maybe my understanding of English is a tad limited.

Your and Souschef's explanations are helpful. Thanks to both again. ls99

Last edited:
I like reading the pet peeves, I find most of them very entertaining, I used to love reading the 1 star Amazon reviews for products I wanted to buy. Some are straight out hysterical

The razor blades disguised as clothing tags and labels sewn into the back of shirts and sweaters at the collar. Sorry, mfr, I cut them out and thus you lost your branding when I need a new one. If you can't print them inside, just sew them with the laundering instructions at the lower side seam.

The razor blades disguised as clothing tags and labels sewn into the back of shirts and sweaters at the collar. Sorry, mfr, I cut them out and thus you lost your branding when I need a new one.

Almost the first thing we do is cut the ***** labels out.

The razor blades disguised as clothing tags and labels sewn into the back of shirts and sweaters at the collar. Sorry, mfr, I cut them out and thus you lost your branding when I need a new one. If you can't print them inside, just sew them with the laundering instructions at the lower side seam.

My hubby cuts out many of his tags too!!

Heck, I have been cutting them out of shirts for decades... and underwear.... and towels (just run one of those tags over a sensitive part :mad:)....

I do not even like the ones at the lower seam as that can bother me at times.... not as bad as the neck, but still....

I also hate when they sew them in where the whole shirt would be worn out but that tag would be hanging onto that collar even through a nuclear blast.... you know, all around the tag with tight stitches with 1,000 pound test thread....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom