How to determine % made this year??

frugal-one

Recycles dryer sheets
I know I should know this but.....

I have a Vanguard account and it shows only the percent gained or lost for the past year (ie April 2013 - April 2014). How do I figure, say from Jan 1 to present? Duh!

Where:confused:? I look under performance and there is no YTD tab:confused:? It just shows for the past year ... April to April.

On the account overview page I have a YTD option under the personal performance tab.

When I click on the performance detail link, I have to put in a custom range to get YTD performance

Mine shows a tab for: 5 year, 3 year, 1 year, Year to Date and Custom Range.
It doesn't show 10 year however??
:confused:

Better yet sign up for a free mint.com or my personal favorite: personalcapital.com to get the real scoop on your investments, hidden fees, charges, spending etc.

Pencil, paper, long division?

(Today's Price - Jan 1 Price) / (Jan 1 Price)

Use a Google Docs spreadsheet and plug this formula into a cell:

=GoogleFinance(tickersymbol,"returnytd")

Or go to Google Finance and plug in the ticker symbol in the search bar. You will get a whole list of data including YTD:

https://www.google.com/finance

Pencil, paper, long division?

(Today's Price - Jan 1 Price) / (Jan 1 Price)

+1. Can substitute "value" for "price". Also multiply by 100 to get a percent. Note that this percent is only for the period of time you are calculating - it is not the equivalent annual rate.

One of the problems with Google's YTD and the long division method is that it doesn't include dividends. Does anyone know of a function that returns total gains YTD?

One of the problems with Google's YTD and the long division method is that it doesn't include dividends. Does anyone know of a function that returns total gains YTD?
Simply put your YTD return is:
[(price_jan_1st + dividends_received - taxes) / (current_price)] - 1

This is assuming you did not reinvest the dividends. If you did the formula becomes a bit more complex, let me know if you need that. It shouldn't affect the return much anyway. Also note that dividends come in at irregular intervals throughout the year so it kind of distorts the true picture anyway.

Some funds also have their total return displayed on morningstar, but it's probably easier to do the math yourself.

Especially since you only have a few funds like mr. Bogle keeps advising, right? ;)

[Edit] Google finance does not have a flexible total return function according to their help center documentation. You can ask for e.g. total return of the past year, that should include dividends (not reinvested)

Last edited:
Simply put your YTD return is:
[(price_jan_1st + dividends_received - taxes) / (current_price)] - 1

This is assuming you did not reinvest the dividends.
I know how to calculate them. I would like a function that returns the current total return like the Google function returns YTD. No big deal but it would be nice.

+1. Can substitute "value" for "price". Also multiply by 100 to get a percent. Note that this percent is only for the period of time you are calculating - it is not the equivalent annual rate.

Value is better, missed the x100 too, as it is an auto run function in my head. :facepalm:

Give Morningstar's portfolio tracker a try.

You guys are not understanding what I am asking. I am missing how to do a basic math function, I know. If I started out with say, $547,000 in Vanguard on Jan 1 and now have $555,000. What percent have I gained..... 1.01%:confused:?? Also, need to figure out by the month. I just realized the answer, I think?

On the account overview page I have a YTD option under the personal performance tab.

When I click on the performance detail link, I have to put in a custom range to get YTD performance

This shows the amount but does not show a percentage.

You guys are not understanding what I am asking. I am missing how to do a basic math function, I know. If I started out with say, $547,000 in Vanguard on Jan 1 and now have $555,000. What percent have I gained..... 1.01%:confused:?? Also, need to figure out by the month. I just realized the answer, I think?
+ 1.463% ?
Percentage Change Calculator

Thanks dvalley and avalon!!!! That is exactly what I was looking for.

That assumes there wasn't any selling/buying during the given period. It also may not be accurate depending on when/if dividends were distributed.

To further confuse you, if you have earned 1.463% YTD, your annualized return is 3.55%.

You can obtain this by using (((1.01463^2.4) - 1) *100) % where 2.4 is the number of time periods per year of your return time period. (5 months)

I have an annuity with them since I got stuck in one and transferred it to them (Okay different subject lol). Anyhow, under my accounts I click on the annuity and it goes to to current balances and there's a tab that says "balances compared to year-end". It shows me my YTD gains.

I have an annuity with them since I got stuck in one and transferred it to them (Okay different subject lol). Anyhow, under my accounts I click on the annuity and it goes to to current balances and there's a tab that says "balances compared to year-end". It shows me my YTD gains.

Gains for all accounts combined? That is what I am looking for.

Back
Top Bottom