Re: The Florida Move Decision

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
Re: The Florida Move Decision

10. These realities should deter people from moving to Florida. That was the report’s conclusion, saying it was ironic that Florida’s economy and government services were hostile to seniors and young families—because the influx of famlies and seniors helps to lift the economy by creating demand for all kinds of businesses and jobs.

“Our research finds that the three most serious problems undermining the well-being of Floridians are: (1) a wide income disparity which constrains economic opportunity, limits job creation, and increases poverty; (2) unacceptable high levels of violent crime, public corruption, identity theft, and fraud; and (3) a weak public education system,” FLARA said. “The Florida Alliance of Retired Americans believes these and Florida’s other problems can be overcome. Unfortunately, business as usual by Florida’s political leaders will likely deepen Florida's severe problems...

“If you decide to relocate to Florida, the Florida Alliance for Retired Americans hopes that you will become active in changing Florida for the better.”

The full article here:10 Reasons You Should Not Move to Florida—From Floridians Who Know! | Alternet

Posted without comment.;)

I noticed that you also live in Illinois. I wonder if Illinois is much better. While reading the article, I thought it is about IL.

Lived in FL for 19 years. While we loved the beach, I see no draw to return. I worked in local government and experienced the corruption first hand, as well as lost a job because of it. Recently drove all way to WPalm Beach then Everglades to camp with friends there; after 18 years away I concluded humans are an invasive species that are decimating what little natural beauty there was. Sorry if I offend any Florida lovers.

I don't intend to move to Florida but I do intend to continue spending winters there. Nothing in the article changes that.

Much of what I see are positives for a retiree that is doing a bit better than average, except the crime.

Cheaper wages, lower taxes, less welfare.

I lived in Florida for 9 years and moved to California due to my job. I loved living in the panhandle. When I retire in 2015 my wife and I plan to return. The article mentions an unfair state income tax that favors the rich. As far as I know, Florida doesn't even have a state income tax. Overall, take this article with a grain of salt. There are great places to live in Florida, and there are some nasty places. Just like all the other states.

I'm committed to moving to Florida, and have started the process.

We have property in both Il and FL and will establish residency in FL in a year or so.
I see absolutely nothing on that list that would deter me in the slightest.

Spent over 9 years living in FL and really enjoyed it. FL state parks are great in a reptilian sort of way. Recreation abounds, easy to fly in and out, taxes are average at least in our demographic.

As always, attitude is the strongest variable. Had it not been for distant grandkids we'd still be happily retired there.

I like this quote from the article: "Looking beyond education, FLARA found that Florida’s spending on social welfare needs was terrible."

How do they define "terrible?" Well, low is terrible. So if they state went on a spending binge on social welfare, would they be "terrific?"

I also now own a place in Florida and will establish residency there (moving from Illinois) within the next six months.

This article is garbage. I'll just point out that reason 10 is a summary saying "Florida is bad". Like a child saying I'm right "because". So really, it should be 9 misleading reasons and a summary.

Regressive taxes? It says the poor pay a higher % of income as taxes. Well, since there isn't an income tax, then this only means that property and sales taxes take a bigger chunk of poor folks income. Big surprise. Poor folks make less money. Sun will rise in the East tomorrow too. This would also be true in TX where I live I guess. All I know is that I really appreciate my state not taking a big chunk of my paychecks.

Some of what is written there is probably valid, but I write off a source the second I find them trying to mislead me with data. Soundbites are a dangerous thing in this world.

Florida is on of the top 7 states I'd love to live in. The other 6 share their no income tax perspectives.

I concluded humans are an invasive species that are decimating what little natural beauty there was.

Absolutlely so, just ask the native Americans, et al.

However ..... I have lived in Florida for 17 years, and as a retiree, I have found it to be a fine location. The weather, access to the beach, no state income tax, homestead (capped) property tax on primary residence, proximity to the Caribbean and Cruise points of departure, off season prices for restaurants and other businesses - - - these all work for me.

I do have a pet peeve: there are no auto inspections. This means the other vehicles can have bald tires, faulty brakes, no working lights, no working turn signals, etc. This makes it unnecessarily too dangerous for others.

Rich

I would like to see an article about how much snowbirds contribute to the local economy compared to residents.

I'm closing on my house in sw Florida next week. I'll let you know how I like it in a few years.

I moved to Florida in 2002 (age 40). I have family here so I knew what to expect; one of those things were dismal job prospects if I lost my job. I moved here with my eyes wide open.

If I had to list the tops reasons to not move to Florida it would be mosquitos and palmetto bugs ! And insects didn't even make it to that top 10 list.

Other than the aforementioned bugs, I love living here.

I will be retiring to Florida in 2017. I already have my second home there and love going down for the weekends. We are looking forward to the permanent move to FL!

My mom and stepdad bought a second home down in Florida. Someplace called Biscayne Heights or Grand Island or something like that. I've never been to it. They bought in 2002, and today I think it might be worth almost what they paid for it. They originally planned to retire down there, but Mom has been retired 3 1/2 years now, and my stepdad about 3, and it hasn't happened yet.

My Mom said that if they moved down there, and my stepdad ended up passing away, she'd be back up here in a heartbeat. I have no desire to do down there to see the house, vacation with them, etc.

I have a friend whose parents have a trailer in Port Orange, near Daytona Beach. We went down there for a week back in 2005. Now that was a good time. Florida is just like any other state, I imagine. Desirable places, and not-so-desirable places.

Plenty of places I'd love to visit in Florida, but dunno if I'd want to live there.

I would like to see an article about how much snowbirds contribute to the local economy compared to residents.

Off the cuff, here are a couple of things: Snowbirds (those whose principal residence is in another state) do not have Homestead ability on their home, so their property taxes go up higher than a resident's property tax, and more snowbirds are spending their $$ on restaurants while they are here (the locals eat out similar to whatever the US average is).

Rich

I moved to Florida in 2002 (age 40). I have family here so I knew what to expect; one of those things were dismal job prospects if I lost my job. I moved here with my eyes wide open.

If I had to list the tops reasons to not move to Florida it would be mosquitos and palmetto bugs ! And insects didn't even make it to that top 10 list.

Ah the wonderful palmetto bugs (or as non-floridians call them "giant cockroaches"). When I lived in Destin we had tons of them. You could actually hear them walking across the tile floor.

An early memory of Florida was 1966 or so. Stayed with parents in a beach house in Panama City.
Mother was sweeping the floor, went to get a dustpan, and half the pile crawled away.

I thought the same thing about the insects.
man, those love bugs. I am still getting them off my truck from our spring trip.

Back
Top Bottom