Auto service "shop supply charge" last straw

We bought a used Lexus 300 sedan (1999) out of an estate a few years ago with 37,000 original miles on it. (nice find!)

The file of receipts that they gave us had 17 oil changes tickets, three new batteries, a replacement back up camera ($450.00) and a bunch of $300+ "inspections".

The old gent started taking the car there right out of warranty @ 24K miles. They were dinging him an oil change every 1,000 miles from what it looked like (what a waste of good oil!). And the batteries? They should have been adjusted for warranty as they were over a span of a five years.

The real dinger was the replacement back up camera.....the car was not equipped with one and in 1999 they were not even sold yet!

Our cars? If the car is under warranty, I use an independent shop for oil changes and they stamp the maintenance record book. Something breaks, back to the dealer. Periodic (interval) inspections...I do them.

For cars out of warranty....I do the basic maintenance work myself.

A few years ago my Saturn dealer offered me 4 free oil changes for a year, so I accepted. At the 2nd one, they told me my standard transmission was going and that I'd need a $2,000 repair. I sought a 2nd opinion at a local auto service shop that I had been told was well-respected (you need to reserve an appointment about three weeks in advance). They said: "No, you don't."

At my 4th and final oil change, the Saturn dealer said I needed my brakes fixed for some $350.00. I went back to that local shop and they said I just needed something tightened, which they did for "free" during that service visit.

As you might have guessed, I've been going back to that shop ever since for the recommended periodic maintenance. Oh, by the way, some seven years and many thousands of miles later I still haven't needed the transmission or brakes "repaired."

Last edited:
Was it one of those that is especially difficult to get to? A friend who owns a Pius tells me that to change a headlight bulb he had to take the bumper and fender off!

Good question, it's the first time one has gone out on this car. I'm going to have to check to see how difficult it is.

I change my own oil, and do any repairs I can myself. Any mechanical repairs, I take to the dealer.

The dealer has the tools and parts to get the job done right. They keep the records. Generally they pay more money per hour for their service techs, and keep them trained. That all costs more money, which you pay for.

When you go to a 'quick change' place, you get someone that might be their first time changing oil, on any car. Good luck with that. I have heard too many horror stories.

Gone are the days when everyone knows how to do basic automotive repairs.

A few years ago my Saturn dealer offered me 4 free oil changes for a year, so I accepted. At the 2nd one, they told me my standard transmission was going and that I'd need a $2,000 repair. I sought a 2nd opinion at a local auto service shop that I had been told was well-respected
As you might have guessed, I've been going back to that shop ever since for the recommended periodic maintenance. Oh, by the way, some seven years and many thousands of miles later I still haven't needed the transmission or brakes "repaired."

Interesting! I liked my Saturn dealer. But that was in the early 90s. They were new. Times change.

What you say about the independent rings so true, and this is why I'll be using my independent going forward. I was convinced something horrible was wrong with my car once (tie rod falling off or something). No, it was just a wheel weight that fell off. They did that repair for FREE. Same with my wife who had some loose cowling under her car. FREE.

And even when they do repairs, they never find extra stuff to fix. Heck, the service writer even gives me advice on the stuff I do myself (like oil changes) because he knows I do that part.

They only see me once a year or so, but I'm loyal as can be.

I just searched that turn signal bulb change on my car. Now I am annoyed, it's two screws and the bulbs are $5.50 a pair on Amazon.

Was it one of those that is especially difficult to get to? A friend who owns a Pius tells me that to change a headlight bulb he had to take the bumper and fender off!

Whatever engineer designed that should be taken out and shot.

I think the shop manual says to remove the bumper but it may not be necessary ( vehicle specific user forum info )

Prius HID Headlight Replacement in less than 3 minutes - Luscious Garage - YouTube

Toyota Prius: How to Replace the Headlight Bulbs (HID and Halogen) - PriusDIY.com

My 2005 Silverado, it's a couple of pins, five minute job. I've always thought the 2 trucks were basically the same. If GM took something so simple to make it that much work. :mad:

What we they thinking? My 2003 GMC the same as yours, a couple of pins and the assembly pops out.

Changing something that simple is beyond my comprehension.

The two trucks (Chevy/GMC) are basically the same. The GMC has a few more options offered, maybe a bit better fit 'n finish, but mechanically identical. I bought the service manuals (five volumes!) and on the front it says "Chevrolet and GMC".

I could change my old Bronco's bulbs in about a minute. I think it just twisted off. The problem is that they kept burning out so I kept a supply in the car.

I go to the local mechanic for $19.95 old changes but keep all the paper work in case I need warranty work (didn't on my last two vehicles).

My Hyundai dealer said it would take 1 1/2 hr of labor to replace the center brake light bulb, plus the cost of the bulb. They said they had to take out the back seat to replace the bulb and that was why the labor charge was so high. I passed.

I later found a YouTube video where someone did it (for the same make and model car) in about 10 minutes. Scoundrels!!!

When I purchased my Toyota 2 1/2 years ago it came with a 2 year free maintenance every 6 months deal. I have not taken it back after the expiration of the deal. They have written and emailed me a dozen times and have even called me to "set up" a good time to provide the necessary maintenance.

No thanks.

Looks like I'll be sitting around at a dealer's service department soon. Just got a recall notice for my car and tried to set up an appointment online to get that cared for on Tuesday. Awaiting a reply for appointment verification as I type.

My Hyundai dealer said it would take 1 1/2 hr of labor to replace the center brake light bulb, plus the cost of the bulb. They said they had to take out the back seat to replace the bulb and that was why the labor charge was so high. I passed.

I later found a YouTube video where someone did it (for the same make and model car) in about 10 minutes. Scoundrels!!!

Followup - took it out today - took about 10 minutes and I wasn't rushing. Still need to get the bulb and put it back in but what the dealer told me was pure crazy. I'm guessing they would have done it in 10-15 minutes and then charged me for 1 1/2 hours.

............. I'm guessing they would have done it in 10-15 minutes and then charged me for 1 1/2 hours.
No way. They'd have charged you for 2 hours and said that they ran into "problems".:LOL:

No way. They'd have charged you for 2 hours and said that they ran into "problems".:LOL:

.........and they would have scratched your bumper cover and generated a list of other things that need "replacement" or "inspection" for a large fee.:D

Followup - took it out today - took about 10 minutes and I wasn't rushing. Still need to get the bulb and put it back in but what the dealer told me was pure crazy. I'm guessing they would have done it in 10-15 minutes and then charged me for 1 1/2 hours.

Hyundai dealer wanted to charge my gf $60 labor to replace the "cabin air filter". It's behind the glove box, and you have to know which lever to tweak in which way, which I found out easily on Youtube. You guessed it, it was a 5 minute job. I replaced the filter for her. Those dealers are truly lowlifes. :mad:

Hyundai dealer wanted to charge my gf $60 labor to replace the "cabin air filter". It's behind the glove box, and you have to know which lever to tweak in which way, which I found out easily on Youtube. You guessed it, it was a 5 minute job. I replaced the filter for her. Those dealers are truly lowlifes. :mad:

Having driven turbocharged cars for a good while, wait until the landscape catches up with the gasoline powered ones soon (as they are). The famous "limp mode" happens when your car slows to a crawl and has no power. The turbo shuts down - aka: no boost. Drag it into the dealer and immediately he says "you need a new turbo.....at $3500.00"!

Ah, but 99 times out of a 100 it is usually a boost leak from a split charge hose or a LOOSE CLAMP! So they throw on a new turbo, replace the hose and charge you for something they did not diagnose correctly. ;)

Be careful, my friends....very careful.

I have never paid a dime to anyone to repair my vehicles as I always did them myself. I still own the shop I worked out of for 30 plus years so as long as my health holds I will continue to do everything. One of the perks for learning a trade over 50 years ago. I would have went crazy if I had to sit behind a desk for my entire working years. ;) oldtrig

Wow, lots of broadbrushed angst toward car dealers! It seems to me that as with anything in life, there are reliable and trustworthy people, and those that are out to take advantage. Word of mouth from friends and people you trust is usually a good way to find reputable car service (or anything else for that matter). Having said that, auto repair is an area that many people know nothing about and feel vulnerable about, so taking advantage is not uncommon. Sad but true. But there are good dealers and independents out there.

Not positive, but think I remember someone telling me that their husband worked as a mechanic for a Ford dealer and that they were subcontractors not employees of the dealership. Anyone heard of this and wouldn't this contribute to more "repairs"?

Not positive, but think I remember someone telling me that their husband worked as a mechanic for a Ford dealer and that they were subcontractors not employees of the dealership. Anyone heard of this and wouldn't this contribute to more "repairs"?

Yes, I had a neighbor in my old neighborhood who works for a local Mitsu dealer as a mechanic and he is a contract employee. He gets part of the "book" rate when working on jobs. He has told me some stories over a few beers that are not worth repeating. I believe that many dealerships have set the system up to hire contract mechanics who work by the job.

Most dealers I know have some in-house mechanics and sub out 'specialities' like stereo and AC work. They will do software upgrades in house.
I live in southern California and have found that the Pep Boys and other chain automotive store mechanics (usually Latinos with not good language skills ) are surprisingly good, knowledgable mechanics just under supplied for tools, under paid and over managed.

I have never paid a dime to anyone to repair my vehicles as I always did them myself. I still own the shop I worked out of for 30 plus years so as long as my health holds I will continue to do everything. One of the perks for learning a trade over 50 years ago. I would have went crazy if I had to sit behind a desk for my entire working years. ;) oldtrig

Well I am going to try a do it yourself today, though I am missing the skillset you have Oldtrig. It looks easy and that scares me because nothing ever goes easy with me concerning vehicles. I am going to try one of those AC self charging cans. My system is over 11 years old and not blowing as cold as it used to. I will try to be careful and not screw it up somehow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well I am going to try a do it yourself today, though I am missing the skillset you have Oldtrig. It looks easy and that scares me because nothing ever goes easy with me concerning vehicles. I am going to try one of those AC self charging cans. My system is over 11 years old and not blowing as cold as it used to. I will try to be careful and not screw it up somehow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just remember, you probably have a leak and all the refrigerant is gone (unless a component is shot). If you revive the system (you will know quickly), you can expect it will leak down over time again. But it's worth a try.

We had an old Dodge van (1993?) that had a no cooling and kept the A/C bearable through the summer months with a recharge. I guess we recharged it every Spring for 5 years before we sold the van.

Back
Top Bottom