Your favorite low housing cost cities/towns

rob in cal

Dryer sheet wannabe
I'm interested in hearing everyone's favorite towns or cities that have an average home price of 150k or so. One neat town I've liked while driving through on the way to visiting relatives is Seward Nebraska. Not sure why its stood out to me, but it just has a nice small town feel to it with well kept homes. Not too far from Lincoln Nebraska either for those who like access to bigger cities. I'm guessing 150k is probably realistic.

Springfield, Missouri. According to Sperlings, the median home price is $105,100. Many of these houses are older and some are just not what you want, so $150K would be a good price to go in with IMO.

Best Place to Live in Springfield, Missouri

I think it still has a somewhat insular, strongly conservative, Christian culture. This can be overwhelming to some. But, as conservative agnostic INTJs I think we could handle it. Also it helps that my grandparents were from Springfield. The economy is so much better there than it was in the 1950's, when I was a child.

Winters are described as "mild" by northerners, but to us they seem formidable with bad ice storms and occasional snow. This is tornado country, too. Summers are hot and humid.

I love Mountain Home, AR - beautiful country, two great lakes. Home prices are amazing---and we are within 30 miles of AR capital.

DH is not so sold; he thinks we would be bored. Perhaps, it would not be that great. (but, i think it would!)

then again, 30 min to an airport comes in handy....central AR

Seriously, check out central AR. It has good points.

Last edited:
Coos Bay, OR? $150K won't get you a water view, but it will still buy a decent little house. Most of the OR beach towns are pretty reasonably priced, but a long way from anywhere.

Mechanicsburg PA. Pretty town and in two movies, Girl, Interrupted and Lucky Numbers. On the map it looks like the hub of a wheel, the spokes of which lead to Baltimore, Philadelphia, NYC, Pittsburgh, and Nashville. We're close to everything but it's still small town, suburbs, and rural.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Mechanicsburg PA.

+1 on that, rode through there last year on my motorcycle. Pretty town. We used to drive through there frequently on the way to visit grandparents in PA before the Interstate was built.

Almost anywhere in WV. I was leafing through RE ads in this morning's paper - you can still buy a habitable SF house for less than six figures. Not a large, new, or well-appointed one but a starter home.

I'm interested in hearing everyone's favorite towns or cities that have an average home price of 150k or so. One neat town I've liked while driving through on the way to visiting relatives is Seward Nebraska. Not sure why its stood out to me, but it just has a nice small town feel to it with well kept homes. Not too far from Lincoln Nebraska either for those who like access to bigger cities. I'm guessing 150k is probably realistic.
I am moving to Grand Rapids, Michigan because that is where my family lives. However, AARP has rated it among the top 10 best places to live because of affordable housing. I have found several condos under 100K.

Mechanicsburg PA. Pretty town and in two movies, Girl, Interrupted and Lucky Numbers. On the map it looks like the hub of a wheel, the spokes of which lead to Baltimore, Philadelphia, NYC, Pittsburgh, and Nashville. We're close to everything but it's still small town, suburbs, and rural.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

+1 on Mechanicsburg for all the reasons you mention. I spent a few days there a number of years ago and liked it very much. I live closer to Pittsburgh but I am fond of a number of more central PA places along Rte. 30, too (the old Lincoln Highway)...Ligonier, Gettysburg, Lancaster.

I love Mountain Home, AR - beautiful country, two great lakes. Home prices are amazing---and we are within 30 miles of AR capital.

DH is not so sold; he thinks we would be bored. Perhaps, it would not be that great. (but, i think it would!)

then again, 30 min to an airport comes in handy....central AR

Seriously, check out central AR. It has good points.

I have been researching the area around Mountain Home, AR, I agree the area looks beautiful but I googled the driving distance to Little Rock (state capital) and it says 2 hr 54 minute drive time. Mountain Home looks a bit remote with not large towns (50,000 plus population) within 50 miles, maybe more.

I have been researching the area around Mountain Home, AR, I agree the area looks beautiful but I googled the driving distance to Little Rock (state capital) and it says 2 hr 54 minute drive time. Mountain Home looks a bit remote with not large towns (50,000 plus population) within 50 miles, maybe more.
+1

Mountain Home is roughly a three hour drive from Little Rock or a two hour drive from Springfield, MO. The area is really beautiful and a nice place to visit, but not where I'd want to live full time - too remote for DW's tastes.

After I posted that, i realized it was confusing, not well worded, at all. I love the Mtn Home area (and it is remote...why DH is opposed).

We currently live in central AR - within 40 min of Little Rock airport (not a major airport, but handy and it will do).

I was trying to say that Mtn Home is gorgeous, but central AR makes more sense if you do not like isolation.

Back
Top Bottom