Yet another milestone!

jimbohoward69

Recycles dryer sheets
Wow...it seems like yesterday (2008) that I introduced myself to the ER crowd and announced that I'd hit the 100K net worth threshold:

http://www.early-retirement.org/for...and-some-questions-all-in-one-post-35683.html

Everyone told me that your first 100K is the hardest...and they were right. It took me 38 years to hit that mark; yet only seven years after my initial post, I'm now at 250K (single, 44 years of age). I'm retired AF (decent pension), have a V.A. pension, the aforementioned net worth, and just landed a GS-9 civil service job with promotion potential to GS-12. Granted, I could probably do 20 years in the federal service but that's not the plan...10 years tops! I wanna be out of the "rat race" in my mid-50's.

Life is good! Thank you to everyone on these boards who give advice and help those who seek wisdom!

Excellent new. I wish I had understood more about government jobs with pensions earlier in life. Congrats on the new position.

Congratulations.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Will you get a pension after 10 years?

Actually, to be eligible for a civil service pension, you have to meet what's called "Minimum Retirement Age" (MRA). My MRA is 57 years old...so I'll have to stay GS until then (for 13 years) to be eligible.

You can get a differed pension after 5 years with FERS, but you cannot collect until you are 60.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Back
Top Bottom