Alps sdog & idog

Brat

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I am looking for reasons why I shouldn't buy those.

SDOG is particularly interesting because they limit the % in each sector.
IDOG International Developed countries-xUS also limits by sector.

Replacing OAKWX which currently as 30% in financials.

http://sdogx.snetglobalindexes.com/pdf/sdogx-Presentation.pdf

To bad their info does NOT show performance over last 100 years instead of last 15 years. WHY:confused:? I think there is a reason for that.

From 1999 to 2009 in underperformed most other Dividend oriented Indexes. From 2009 till today it did really well.

I would want to know how index performed from 1950-today compared to other indexes.

Second thing that bothers me HIGH fees.

But no doubt in bull market this index did very well.

Only negative I see is the ER. But you know how it compares to your existing holding. They are fairly new offerings, but the sponser(ALPS) has been in the ETF buisness for 25 years. I watched SDOG for a long time before I got in, wish I'd pulled the trigger earlier. I have a smaller position in IDOG, it hasn't performed as well since I got in but last quarter's dividend was sweet.

You may want to read the parent company's last quarter results. I believe they made some positive statements about ALPS.

Only negative I see is the ER. But you know how it compares to your existing holding. They are fairly new offerings, but the sponser(ALPS) has been in the ETF buisness for 25 years. I watched SDOG for a long time before I got in, wish I'd pulled the trigger earlier. I have a smaller position in IDOG, it hasn't performed as well since I got in but last quarter's dividend was sweet.

You may want to read the parent company's last quarter results. I believe they made some positive statements about ALPS.

MRG but you would not be worried that we may enter more bearish years like 2000-2010 and based on literature provided by index it is not all that hot?

Looking at last few years could be chasing winner.

MRG but you would not be worried that we may enter more bearish years like 2000-2010 and based on literature provided by index it is not all that hot?

Looking at last few years could be chasing winner.

I'm not worried now, but my timeframe may be different. Only time will tell on the index. Very valid point.

My statement was more in the context of. I'd never really heard the name before. Wanted to know the stabilty of who these guys are.

I should have better qualified my reponse.

IMO personally I would prefer putting money into SCHD. Reason is that during bearish periods high quality equities will outperform the rest (most of the time) while during bull markets they under perform.

Even during bull market SDOG outdid SCHD only by 4% since inception. And this is time when things like SCHD and VIG are in disadvantage compared to SDOG type of index.

But if you find longer historical data for SDOG which look favourable then I would go for SDOG. It is very simple for them to compute such data.... And perhaps such data are favourable for SDOG.

So those are things that would stop me from buying SDOG.....

I am looking for reasons why I shouldn't buy those.

"Dog" as a slang word has a specific financial meaning. Sometimes info leaks out in a Freudian manner that is not available otherwise.

Investing: 80% emotional, 20% logic/numbers

S&P 500 ETF VOO has done better than better than SCHD so don't see any advantage in SCHD. If I had to choose between SCHT, VOO AND VIG I would go with VOO.

I do know what 'dog' means in the investment sense and the methodology once touted as the Dogs of the DOW.

Still thinking....

S&P 500 ETF VOO has done better than better than SCHD so don't see any advantage in SCHD. If I had to choose between SCHT, VOO AND VIG I would go with VOO.

I do know what 'dog' means in the investment sense and the methodology once touted as the Dogs of the DOW.

Still thinking....

How do you know VOO outdid SCHD? I don't see any data for VOO prior to end of 2010.

So I took SCHDs big brother VIG and compared it to real S&P 500. That has data from 2006. And who do you think did better:confused: VIG because quality does well in bear market......

When I buy ETF I think long long term not 3 years......and quality outperforms over a long period.

I just used Vanguard's compare tool. Do you have something better?

I just used Vanguard's compare tool. Do you have something better?

What this discussion tells me is that we both are probably better off with classics like VTI, VXUS and a like :).

Replacing OAKWX which currently as 30% in financials.

I pulled the trigger on OAKWX. A fund with such a concentration, particularly in financials, shares the dickens out of me.

Now I need to figure out what to do with the proceeds (in a Roth which, God willing, the kids will inherit in 15-20 years).

Back
Top Bottom