Pecan trees

Tailgate

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
One thing about pecan trees..they are always dropping something.. twigs, tassels, leaves and the occasional huge branch.
At 6:30 this morning, heard a crack and a woosh. Neighbor's tree lost a huge limb. Missed his house by about 2 feet. We have 5 pecan trees and loose the occasional big limb..have only lost 1 limb this big in 24 years here in central Texas. Spring rains have all the trees loaded with leaves and pecans. Ours are native and only produce every other year. Two years ago we weighed out 80 pounds of shelled, cleaned pecans. Friends and family stocked up their freezers with enough to last a couple years. Love pecans over vanilla ice cream with chocolate syrup... not too keen on pecan pie, but most folks love it. And they aren't pronounced pee-cans here in the south...
:LOL:

Attachments

• IMG_0874.jpg
    IMG_0874.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 18
I love those paper-skin Texas Pecans. Nothing like them. My ex has an uncle out in Big Spring, we always tried to visit and "accept" his generous pecan gift. I just liked to crack them and eat them. Another guy I knew in the Valley running SE from El Paso grew them on irrigated ground.

Ha

Parking your car under a Pecan tree here in the Sacramento Valley will leave it dappled in sticky 'honey dew' dropped from aphid infestations.
I love Pecan pie, but don't eat it due to the high sugar load.

Another + for pecan trees is that in the south we use the wood for smoking brisket and other meat. It produces a mild smoke taste and perfect smoke ring. I smoked 5 tri-tips Sunday that turned out awesome.
We used to use pecan to smoke chickens but DW prefers them spatchcocked on the Big Green Egg. They always turn out great since I rely on a Maverick probe and cook to temp, not time.

Not a pecan tree, but a month ago during storms, this oak tree split and fell on his neighbors truck about 2 blocks away...

Attachments

• IMG_0813.jpg
    IMG_0813.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 18
I heard there was a pecan shortage and the price per pound has gone up considerably. Any truth to that?

+1

I suppose Paula thinks pea nuts and pe cans are kin...

Maybe.
Years ago I inspected lumber. The Deputy Chief Inspector of the National Hardwood Lumber Association(NHLA defines the rules, and is responsible for resolution of $ disputes on bulk sales of lumber) was our instructor. He made sure we knew what a peecan and pecan were. It's not just in Texas.:)

Pope Field, the Army air base next to Fort Bragg, NC, has loads of pecan trees all over. Back when it was Pope AFB, I was at a higher headquarters and we always seemed to have some sort of inspection or "staff assistance" visit scheduled there just about the time the nuts were falling from the trees.

I used to walk around in my free time and fill bags full of them to take back with me after the trip. Most of my fellow headquarters types did the same. Loved those pecans!

I am not a fan of pecan trees.

Back in 1997, a very large pecan tree in the back yard of my rental house in Baton Rouge was blown down by a storm. It fell across the roof, and was big enough that the branches completely blocked the front door as well as the back door. I couldn't get out of the house! :LOL:

Of course I called the landlord, who said somebody would be out there in a week to take care of it after the insurance adjuster had recorded the situation. It was suggested that I call the police department if I needed help to get out of the house. :LOL:

Instead I got out my tools, and slowly and laboriously sawed and cut a narrow tunnel through the branches through which I managed to first see daylight and then finally escape. I got to work a little late that day.

Because of that experience, I will never have a pecan tree anywhere in my yard. There is a humorous side to my story, but still, I don't ever want to go through that again.

Last edited:
We bought a house in Houston in 2003. As if it weren't bad enough that our first year there endured the 17-year cyclical cicada invasion, the next year had a horrible webworm problem that affected almost every pecan tree in the subdivision. And pretty much every house in that subdivision had at least 2 or 3 pecan trees.

I grew up in S. Georgia and we pronounced it Pah Khans.

Of course we also said Vye anna instead of Vienna.

F me I want some grits now.

New Orleans pronunciation of "pecan" is a little different from that in some parts of the South. One of the interesting colloquialisms down here is saying that someone is a "gone pecan":

Gone Pecan​
According to the​
Double-Tongued Dictionary which specializes in an

ever expanding lexicon of slang words and phrases in the English​
language, “gone pecan” is: “a person who is doomed, defeated, or​
beyond rescue; a goner.” Could be a doomed object, as well, like the​
last praline up for grabs. The information in this dictionary is​
compiled, written and edited by lexicographer Grant Barrett, who is​
also co-host of the nationally aired public radio program​
A Way With

Words​
. He is also editor of McGraw-Hill’s Official Dictionary of

Unofficial English​

Since “gone” and “pecan” are made to rhyme in this expression,​
Barrett added an editorial note on the pronuncition: “​
pecan is

pronounced to rhyme with​
gone, so it’s something like ‘puh-KAHN’

rather than ‘PEE-kann.’ This expression is particularly common in​
Louisiana.” So much so that acclaimed Louisiana blues guitarist Sonny​
Landreth (born in Canton, Mississippi, but resides in Breaux Bridge)​
has recorded a song entitled “Gone Pecan”.​
I mention this because a national survey conducted in 2003 revealed​
that the “PEE-kann” pronunciation was the overwhelming choice​
among Americans over “puh-KAHN” or “pa-KAWN”. People in New​
Orleans and Louisiana (myself included) continue to buck the national​
trend and go with the latter two utterances.

http://www.neworleansbar.org/uploads/files/Gone Pecan Article_3-27.pdf

I think "pa-KAWN" (rhyming with "gone") is the most common pronunciation here, and that is how I say it now that I live here.

When I first moved to an Almond growing region, I was quickly enlightened to the local, and dictionary correct pronunciation with a silent 'l' - amend, or ah'mond.

Last edited:
New Orleans pronunciation of "pecan" is a little different from that in some parts of the South. One of the interesting colloquialisms down here is saying that someone is a "gone pecan":

http://www.neworleansbar.org/uploads/files/Gone Pecan Article_3-27.pdf

I think "pa-KAWN" (rhyming with "gone") is the most common pronunciation here, and that is how I say it now that I live here.

That is the way I grew up with, in the South but now Louisiana.
More like puh-kahn maybe. I have never heard anyone say PEE-Can. How weird!

Ha

Must weigh in with South Carolina: only the houtiest of the hoity-toity here say puh-khan, the rest of us say pee-can. And don't get me started on the lady I spent way too much time standing next to in the SC food shows who sold puh-khan prawww-leeens! But they were tasty! :)

Even though moving, there is no way I could pull off a Southern accent or pronunciation. I'd be laughed out of town, but I can probably represent the D Yankees (although a Boston fan) respectably.

Must weigh in with South Carolina: only the houtiest of the hoity-toity here say puh-khan, the rest of us say pee-can. And don't get me started on the lady I spent way too much time standing next to in the SC food shows who sold puh-khan prawww-leeens! But they were tasty! :)

A native South Texan, I've always said puh-KHAN, like the ones that fell from the tree in my Granny's front yard.

And my Auntie made puh-KHAN PRAY-leenz.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Around here it's puh-KHAN, sometimes almost peh-KHAN.

Starting to see the first ones dropping onto the pavement when I walk.

There is one house that the concrete street in front gets stained black later in the year.

At least they don't get stuck in the tread of my walking shoes, like those darn Mistletoe seeds do, they are a pain in winter. They get caught and make clicking sounds when I walk, and they are hard to pop out of the shoe tread even with a screwdriver.

Back
Top Bottom