NYT Article: Learning to Shun the Instagram Life

friar1610

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I found this article from Sunday's New York Times interesting:

"We should just move to the country and live in a tent.”

I mention this idea to my wife every time I’m confronted with one of the realities of living in Park City, Utah. It seems like almost everyone here is an athlete of some sort, and they take their sports seriously. From mountain biking to skiing, I’m surrounded by super-competitive people....

And nowhere does envy raise its ugly head more often than with money. Earlier this year, a former hedge fund trader wrote an op-ed for The New York Times that opened with this line: “In my last year on Wall Street my bonus was $3.6 million — and I was angry because it wasn’t big enough.”

There is also a link to the op-ed by the hedge fund trader mentioned in the article. That op-ed is worth a read as well.

Nice article. Thanks for sharing it.

It is good to remind ourselves often of just how great a life we already have.

Round these parts, people brag on their kids something awful. I consider kids an extension of self. Although I do like to know how friends' and relatives' children are doing and what they are up to, I've never understood why speaking as if you've spawned godlings is somehow OK, while bragging about yourself is frowned upon.

(I'm not even that offended by boasting. I just think the rules should be consistent).

Amethyst

If it helps, Amethyst - my kids are rotten. (Not really kidding.)

Interesting article. I never mess with Instragram, so I never even thought about it as a bragging/envy tool. One of my friends is on it, and he's put up pictures of dogs, cats, flowers, roller coasters, the beach, my '79 Chrysler, random scenery out the window, etc. The main thing he liked about it was all the filters and such you could apply to the pics.

But, I guess if people are posting pics of their McMansions, boats, cars that are nicer than a '79 Chrysler, trophy spouses, etc, I could see how others could look at that and get envious. Sort of like Facebook, where I've heard it's easy to get Facebook envy as everybody else's life looks better than yours. Although in my case, I tend to see a lot of whining, drama queens, pity parties, etc, so I tend to ignore it.

Also, an interesting article on the guy who got his panties in a bunch when he was miffed that his bonus was "only" $3.6M. On the surface, he sounds like a spoiled brat, but I can see how it's easy to get caught up in the momentum. You keep getting more and more, hitting loftier and loftier goals, and it's like an adrenalin rush or some kind of high. But, you end up needing bigger and bigger gains to maintain that high.

For instance, back in the day when I waited tables, or delivered pizzas, I can still remember the first time I broke $60 during a shift. Seemed like a big deal. But, once it became the norm, suddenly it was no great shakes. Same with $100. And, if I got used to walking out with $150+ for a busy Friday or Saturday night, suddenly if I "only" walked out with $100, it seemed like a letdown. Nevermind the fact it was still good money.

And, even more recently, I just got a bonus at work. $1,000, although after they took out taxes, 401k, etc it was about $425. While I'm grateful for it, it just doesn't seem like a big deal. And, everyone in our company got one, although I've heard that the amount can vary, depending on how long you've been with the company, how much they like you, etc. So it's not like they singled me out.

The bonus does very little to my economic well-being. But, for someone who wasn't in as well of a position to me, it might be enough to make them so joyous, they'd dance naked with the mailman! :D

I'm excelling at shunning the Instagram life .... I barely know what Instagram is, so I've obviously never posted to it or viewed anything on it ! :LOL:

Ha, ha! Keep in mind that one person's "trophy spouse" is another person's...spouse. Who probably snores.:LOL:

I guess I was thinking more in terms of FB than Instagram, since I don't have a smartphone.

Amethyst

IBut, I guess if people are posting pics of their ... trophy spouses, I could see how others could look at that and get envious.

I have always liked Carl Richard's articles and napkin drawings. He's got a great perspective on life. Oh, and he's a financial planner. Who once was bankrupt. Interesting, no BS kinda dude. This latest piece is a favorite for sure.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

One can be competitive in the other direction - I seem to recall my super low expenses budget for one years ER. The clip of the Four Yorkshiremen comes to mind. And then there is the dryer sheet stories early on this forum.

heh heh heh - With time, Mr Market, and a few years of ER being sort of "in the pack" not to either extreme - bragging or being competitive doesn't seem very important if it ever was. :cool:

P.S. I have enough trouble posting on FaceBook a few times a year. What's an Instagram?

Last edited:
No big house, fancy car or six figure bonus here.

Thankfully, I have a trophy girl friend. At least in my eyes. :flowers:

Walked (actually ran) away from Wall Street/Investment Banking 19 years ago at 38. Guess that makes me kind of unusual, which my wife continually reminds me: but not in a good way. Oh well... ;-)

Back
Top Bottom