FYI - New Quicken for the Mac released and vote for new features

RBDan

Dryer sheet aficionado
Intuit finally released a new version and wants everyone to vote on what feature they want added next. I am voting for the "Retirement Planner" assuming it is their Lifetime planner.

Quicken® 2015 for Mac: Comparison Chart

Sorry if this is a repost, my other one disappeared. :(

I'm voting for supporting standard OFX downloads from banks, without expiring after a few years.

Oh, they don't list that as a choice? Imagine my surprise.

I would love to be able to delete my Windows virtual machine and just use the Mac version.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Still no bill pay? QFM had that feature back in 2007, so here we are 8 years later with a 50% price increase for a program with LESS real world utility:confused:
I've been using older version of QFM hoping Intuit would get its act together. After years of wait, QFM 2015 is a HUGE disappointment. Makes the switch to Moneydance a no brainer (1/3rd cheaper with more functionality).

It still doesn't seem to be a good replacement for the windows version.

Cast one vote for retirement planner and another for investment allocation view.

Former Quicken user, but I switched to Moneydance in 2011 (I'm a Mac guy, but it runs on anything) and it has met my needs very well indeed. I'm quite happy with it.

On a related note, iBank (a Mac financial program) has a new version and I'd heard good things about it, so I've been evaluating it for the last week or so. I'm impressed by how good a job they have done (it used to be pretty weak).
However, I still prefer Moneydance.

Intuit doesn't get it

Why in the world doesn't Intuit just port Quicken for Windows to the Mac. In today's world it's amazing that a company like Intuit just doesn't get it.

Why in the world doesn't Intuit just port Quicken for Windows to the Mac. In today's world it's amazing that a company like Intuit just doesn't get it.

+1

When so many companies can put out identical products for mac and windows I don't understand how intuit can mess this up so badly.

Intuit had a great Mac product in the 80s and 90s and did very well. Then sometime early 2000s Intuit stopped their Mac development. It's been a painful process for them ever since.

The only good thing is Mac users haven't been forced to pay for upgrades to keep downloading bank data.

Since this new version isn't fully featured, I'll keep running my old version which currently works just fine.

Last edited:
Former Quicken user, but I switched to Moneydance in 2011 (I'm a Mac guy, but it runs on anything) and it has met my needs very well indeed. I'm quite happy with it.

On a related note, iBank (a Mac financial program) has a new version and I'd heard good things about it, so I've been evaluating it for the last week or so. I'm impressed by how good a job they have done (it used to be pretty weak).

I've heard so much negative comments on Quicken, especially the Mac version, I would definitely consider these, or an open source alternative.

And the worst part is, the Intuit CEO, Bill Cambell, was on the BOD of Apple! :nonono:

-ERD50

You can run the Windows version of Quicken on a Mac using Boot Camp. But, then you have the extra expense of buying a copy of Windows. And, when running Windows, the computer is now vulnerable to many of the Windows viruses, etc. Still safe computing habits should negate that risk.

I've been using Moneydance since the beginning of 2013 and I'm very happy with it. I know they released a new version, but I haven't upgraded and I'm not sure I will. Upgrading was always a pain with Quicken. Maybe Moneydance is better with upgrades, but I'm not sure I want to find out.

I've been using Moneydance since the beginning of 2013 and I'm very happy with it. I know they released a new version, but I haven't upgraded and I'm not sure I will. Upgrading was always a pain with Quicken. Maybe Moneydance is better with upgrades, but I'm not sure I want to find out.

IMHO, the last upgrade was relatively minor. Still, it was trouble-free.

I've used iBank ever since buying my last Mac. There's been several upgrades over the years. I only use it for budgeting and recording my accounts ( no direct links to my bank). I'm very happy with iBank.

Just got an email from Intuit for 50% off for Quicken for Mac until the end of the year.

Still not biting. For my purposes, Quicken Essentials is fine. I use it to aggregate all my savings accounts to get a bottom line number, which isn't accurate because for some reason, Quicken wants to add money to my bank savings balance.

But it's a good approximation and useful for monthly tracking.

I use other tools so no big push to upgrade but in case others were considering it. Though it says email so maybe it's not widely available?

That would be the 2015 version. It is not nearly as functional as the 2007 version. I tried - nowhere close!

I'm another that had Quicken 2007. Got tired of waiting for updates that would allow downloading of credit card accounts......those worked when I first got Q'07 but the product didn't stay current with web site changes and neither Quicken nor the banks would fix the issue. I changed to Moneydance a couple years ago and haven't looked back. Great for basic download of accounts, online bill paying and your typical budgeting reports. I don't use it to track investments so cannot comment on that part.

I use Moneydance for everything.
As to investments, I can just say it works, mostly. There are a few minor difficulties (for example you have to use a somewhat awkward workaround for stock splits, etc.), but on the whole it's good enough for me. And it's very stable.

I use Moneydance for everything.
As to investments, I can just say it works, mostly. There are a few minor difficulties (for example you have to use a somewhat awkward workaround for stock splits, etc.), but on the whole it's good enough for me. And it's very stable.

I've also had very good luck with Moneydance. I converted at the beginning of 2013, so I now have about two years of data in Moneydance. Like any of these programs, they all seem to have their little quirks. I originally started with MS Money, migrated to Quicken when MS Money was discontinued, and then moved from Quicken to Moneydance. My move from Quicken to Moneydance was for two reasons: I was sick of the forced upgrade every 3 years - I was OK with paying, I just hated to deal with all the new issues in Quicken - and I wanted financial software that was cross-platform, in case I ever go from Mac to some other platform.

A couple of quirks that I've noticed with Moneydance is that their default investment reports don't seem to calculate IRR correctly. That's minor for me, since I use a spreadsheet with XIRR to get this value, but it was always nice to confirm that the spreadsheet matches the financial app. I also don't like that you can't group investments across accounts, something that I was able to do in Quicken. Instead, Moneydance generates a report showing all the accounts and their investments. Again, a minor inconvenience. If I was so inclined, I could always write a Moneydance extension to solve these problems. Maybe someday.

Back
Top Bottom