Hi, I am.... wanting to retire soon or sooner

kayrate

Confused about dryer sheets
I'm not looking for advice, more so, looking here at what others are experiencing and then will try to make a decision on how I think I should proceed with retirement. I've worked at the same company for 28 years and will have a pension as well as a 401K that I have been paying in for almost as long as I have been working there.... I thank my Dad for being a major pest about contributing to my 401K!!! This year the company announced that they will stop funding our retirement at the end of 2015 saying it costs to much to keep our retirements funded. I won't lose anything but it will no longer grow after 12/31/2015, I will end up with 29 1/2 years or pension. Then they will give an additional 9%, 8%, and 7% for the following 3 years on top of the 20% of my income I already save plus their match and interest. They do match $0.75 for every dollar I save up to 8% so I max myself out at $17,500.00 + $5,000.00 for being over 50 y/o every year. So, at the end of 2018 when the last of the "additional payout" to my 401K ends and then it goes back the basic matching. At that time I will be 61 and the 4 months later I will 62 and want to be done working.
These days I have so much anxiety wanting to just be done!! I know there is a considerable amount more to be had (over $40,000.00 a year) if I can just hold on until 4/2019 but..... What to do! I think I have been planning well, If I buy and sell one more house I should have a house paid for. My hobbies are not expensive, just need some wind to push my sailboat and little gas for my Harley! I'd really like to live on my boat for several months out of the year and my wife is up for that! My wife is quite a bit younger than I am... lucky me :) although we will only have my retirement and 401K. I'm cool with that!
So everyone keep letting me know how Y'all are doing so I can decide what to do and enjoy retirement soon too!!!!

I'm not looking for advice, more so, looking here at what others are experiencing and then will try to make a decision on how I think I should proceed with retirement.

I am doing OMY stints to pad my RE fund. I can RE now but I may be stressed out if market decides to go into a secular bear market. Working 1 - 2 more years will safeguard my RE fund even with a prolonged bear market. I.e, I can sleep better.

BTW, sooner - soon = er.

Back
Top Bottom