Do you use Facebook ?

frayne

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Always stayed away from it for various and sundry reasons but due to the HOA having a FB page I joined. Since then I have found it a nice way to re-connect with old friends and as well as keeping in touch with family spread all across the country/world.

What say you, do you Facebook ?

Have been on it for several years for the reasons you mentioned. Welcome to the 21st century.

Yes, but not as a way to reconnect with old friends. We have a disguised name and post as a couple, so old acquaintances won't find us. We use it to stay connected with the local nature enthusiasts plus the neighborhood. It works great for that through the group forums and the pages maintained by the local nature parks. Local folks we know quickly figure out who we are on FB. We do keep track of family members on Facebook but almost never post very personal stuff.

Nope. Not that interested in other people postings nor do I want to share my life that much. I have heard horror stories about friends (of friends) posting about their drunk sexual exploits.... I really don't want to know that about them.

I always said I'd get it when my kids got accounts, to monitor them. But facebook has thankfully fallen out of favor for the younger generation. My 13 year old tweets, is on instagram, has a youtube channel... but only has a facebook account to promote his youtube videos - and rarely uses it for that. I know his passwords - so I just log on as him to monitor. (I do follow him on twitter and youtube, though.)

He said facebook is for "moms". None of his friends are on it - just the parents.

I use it to keep in touch with younger relatives and also use a page dedicated to a hobby interest.

Only use it in "read only" mode occasionally -- No posting.

Also Feel that it might be useful to keep a directory of people from my past.
-gauss

I was a late adopter of Facebook but I find it invaluable in reconnecting and keeping in touch with relatives and friends abroad. I do think some people show poor judgment in what they post, though.

Couldn't live without it. I am now in touch with around a hundred people that I would not be without FB... people I dearly appreciate knowing.

I don't but DW does and she lets me know if anything "important" comes up.

Nope. I have no use for it.

Nope. I do have an account for the occasional times I need to log-in but posting personal stuff is a no priority item. Half of what I see others post I'd rather not know (usually lowers my opinion of them). Email is set up to send anything from facebook.com into the junk folder.

Always turned my nose up at it because it just seemed like a lot of "look at me and how great my life is" or so I've heard. Don't care to reconnect with people from 40 years ago, but OTOH the few I DO want to grill me on why I don't use FB. May consider the disguised name thing, but won't MZ hunt me down for that?

DW has an account and it is for keeping up with family and her woman's church group. I can't stand Facebook although I have an old account that I very rarely look at. I usually can't remember my password for it so signing on is generally not happening.

I find LinkedIn more useful as I have found a few college pals and a really good old friend I lost contact with.

Just curious, why do a lot of people say they use it to keep up with friends and relatives? Don't they know about email or is this so they can share with the world. I send group emails when I have something to share with friends and relatives. I don't want my pictures or comments to sisters and friends seen/read by all.

Nope. I tried to find our photography class on it once, but couldn't figure it out. I can email and text whoever I want so I don't need Facebook

Sent from my iPhone :).using Early Retirement .//82339)

Just curious, why do a lot of people say they use it to keep up with friends and relatives? Don't they know about email or is this so they can share with the world. I send group emails when I have something to share with friends and relatives. I don't want my pictures or comments to sisters and friends seen/read by all.

You might not believe this, but the younger generation seems to be using e-mail less and less. My 20 year old granddaughter in college prefers text messaging over e-mail. She says that her friends communicate the same way. I don't believe she has a Facebook account anymore (she deleted it a while back).

My younger sister (early 60's) hand writes me an occasional letter. It's a mixed bag the way families communicate as far as I am able to figure it out. One SIL sends a group e-mail on occasion, the BIL's usually use a phone for what it was designed for and make calls occasionally.

I am a long ways from a 20-something but even I know that E-mail is not a very useful form of social interaction -- ranks (with me) on par with Snail Mail. (And Bulk e-mails -- to me -- are on par with Junk Mail delivered by the USPS.)

FWIW, the User has complete control over who can read/see on one's account. I don't care who reads/sees anything on my page so I have no restrictions but I know many who place very tight controls on their "friends."

I like it. A great way to catch up with friends and family. Like most tech its a tool and it's what you make of it. Kids prefer twitter.

I like it. A great way to catch up with friends and family. Like most tech its a tool and it's what you make of it. Kids prefer twitter.

+ 1 My son signed me up (with my OK)several years ago. I initially used it very rarely. I now go on once a day or so just to see who's posting, and occasionally I will post something light about my DIY travails, or the joys of being a grandparent.
And, yes, it's also been nice to hook up with some old friends from childhood.

Yes I use it. I don't post too often on it but initially the kids set me up with an account and I still follow them on it. As well, some of my student groups use it as a learning tool instead of Google Docs. I think that it has pretty reasonable functionality.

Many of my friends and relatives do not use email outside of work, and some of them read personal email infrequently. Within Facebook it is possible to post or message a specific individual.

Sometimes my friends send me posts about interest groups I might want to join. For example, I have joined a fascinating history group.

There is no single medium that covers everyone, and the landscape is constantly changing. I try to keep in touch with my friends using their medium of choice, though I must admit that if they [-]make it difficult for me[/-] do not use any electronic media at all I am less likely to work at maintaining the relationship. A good friend and past neighbour only communicates by handwritten letters, and nowadays we exchange letters just once a year.

Last edited:
I like it to stay in touch with friends scattered around the country.

Back
Top Bottom