Beards

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
Watching the world go by.:LOL:

Zig Ziglar
Zig Ziglar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
came to our company when we had national meetings, with his motivational presentation. I can recall his words:

Selling is just like shaving, If you don't do it every day, you're a bum!

Since then (30 years ago), I've always felt dirty, if I didn't shave... even for one day.

Times have changed. Today, while watching Nascar, there was an interview with Jimmy Johnson. DW said... "Wow... He shaved. He really looks handsome."

I wonder how people feel about this today? Ladies and gents.
Macho or otherwise?

What Wiki says:
Throughout the course of history, societal attitudes toward male beards have varied widely depending on factors such as prevailing cultural-religious traditions and the current era's fashion trends. Some religions (such as Islam and Sikhism) have considered a full beard to be absolutely essential for all males able to grow one, and mandate it as part of their official dogma. Other cultures (while not officially mandating it), view a beard as central to a man's virility, exemplifying such virtues as wisdom, strength, sexual prowess and high social status. However, in cultures where facial hair is uncommon (or currently out of fashion), beards may be associated with poor hygiene or a "savage," uncivilized, or even dangerous demeanor.

Last edited:
This will be an interesting thread....

Blondes or brunettes?

Red or white wine?

Rock or Roll?

Jazz or Classical?

50/50

DH has had a beard and long hair for most of the past couple of years but recently returned from a long trip and shaved and cut his hair short.
I'm ok either way, but am generally for the full beard look rather than just a mustache or just a goatee or whatever.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I grew a beard shortly after leaving work, but didn't keep it very long. It was silvery, much lighter than my hair (then), and people kept asking if I dyed my hair, not believing my denial.

On Y2K night I did dye it green, alone with part of my hair, paying off a bet with DD regarding her school grades.

Last time I shaved my beard off was 25 years ago this month. My 5 y.o. daughter was very upset. As far as the OP is concerned, I'm more "shaving is like selling. If you do it everyday, you're working too hard at something unnecessary".

I do shave to keep the beard neat, but probably only every third day. I can probably go longer now that the beard is white instead of brown.

Since I retired last year, I have been shaving once every four days or so. Guess that makes me a bum. I'm ok with that :cool:

I go with a beard during the winter, it really helps keeping warm skiing. And shave every 3rd or 4th day during the summer. My wife likes the beard my daughter like me shaved...and my son couldn't care less! I like them both and changing with the seasons - as the trees are losing their leaves I am growing mine. Still for the most part brown hair on the beard, with some grey....sure that will change.

I've never had a beard. I don't like the way it feels if I go more than 2-3 days without shaving. I use an electric razor and spend only about 1 minute give or take a few seconds so not much hassle. I shave every day I leave the house.

I have shaved every day since I was 16 years old, and I'll continue until I am physically unable to do it. I just don't feel right until after I've shaved. That said, I'm sure I am just as uncivilized and dangerous as the most hirsute of men.

I've worn a full beard since my 20's except for a brief period about three years ago, when I shaved it off just to remind myself what I looked like. Decided I preferred the beard and promptly grew it back.
While working I used to shave my neck and trim the beard every day, but since retirement I only bother about every 3-4 days.

My wife has never seen me sans beard.

A beard is like a picture frame for your face.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I am always telling the DGF that once I retire from my job, I am going to go with the Duck Dynasty look. It freaks her out.

I had a close trimmed beard in my younger days, they are OK. But they do make you feel like your face is not as clean as it could be.

But they do make you feel like your face is not as clean as it could be.

I disagree completely. That's a matter of personal hygiene and comfort. I'm sure there are plenty of dirty beards, but my face feels nice and clean with mine. That would be like saying having hair on your head makes it feel less clean than if you shaved it.

I disagree completely. That's a matter of personal hygiene and comfort. I'm sure there are plenty of dirty beards, but my face feels nice and clean with mine. That would be like saying having hair on your head makes it feel less clean than if you shaved it.
+1

I grew a beard for the first time at age 66 and I keep it neatly trimmed.

Like that commercial with the "most interesting man in the world" (which I am definitely NOT), I think it makes me look somewhat extinguished. :) But dirty? Definitely not.

I had a full beard for a while when working outside in the northern winters. It really did help but I was glad to shave it off.

Now, what about the bearded ladies?

I have a goatee and it is about 3 inches length with a moustache, and mostly grey; more grey than my hair on my head although it has more salt than pepper. Since my goatee is longer, I may adjust the length about once every 7-10 days. Shave usually every other day for rest of my face. Went clean shaven for my younger days up until about 12 years ago when I decided to do the goatee. I definitely do not look like most of my fellow engineers who are either full beard fairly close, or clean shaven with no beard.

I grew my first beard in high school but the novelty wore off by college. I've had a mustache for most of my life. Occasionally, I might let my beard grow in a bit but until it gets to a certain length it always seemed a bit itchy so am mostly beardless. The last time I had a beard was 12 years ago following my father's death.

Never had a beard, but had a mustache for a while in my 20's. During my working years, I shaved almost every day. I slacked off the last year of working and only shaved once every 2 days. Now I shave 2 or 3 times a week. I may do the playoff beard thing when the Chicago Blackhawks start the playoffs. But it will be almost all gray and certainly be nixed by DW.

I've had a mustache for 47 years and a goatee for 24 years.

In college, I grew a mustache to see what it was like since I have always been clean shaven. I have (had) light brown (almost blond) hair and the mustache grew out very red in color!

I shaved it off. (Now I know why my Dad's nickname in the Navy was 'Red".)

After marring and having two daughters, both of them have red hair.

Now it's all grey and I am not interested in maintaining anything except what's on top!;)

I've had a goatee for about 15 years. But I hate shaving, so I get very lazy about it, and usually only shave once a week on Monday mornings.

The past few weeks I've been more "lame duck" about work more than usual, so I've been going 2 or 3 weeks between shaving. As a cube rat, it doesn't make any difference to me. As long as the monitor gets stared at, and the keyboard gets pecked, how much scruff I have on my face and neck is of little consequence.

Three months and counting until vesting is complete. The beard/goatee just might get more messy as that date approaches.

After almost 40 years in the Army, my Dad told us was going to grow a beard when he retired. That was 32 years ago, still no beard...evidently some habits are hard to break.

I've never had a beard either for more than 2-3 weeks. Since retiring, I sometimes skip shaving every other day, wild & crazy!

I had a moustache for more than 30 years, DW had never seen me without, took her a while to get used to it when I finally shaved it off.

:wiseone:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom