New Milestone Reached - $200K

Recycles dryer sheets
Yippee, my retirement portfolio just hit $200,000 today. I know I'm still behind at my age (almost 41), but my net worth has doubled in 2 years, despite having to scale back last year due to the house purchase. The will undoubtedly fluctuate, but it's a big accomplishment for me.

401(k): $171,408.79
Roth: $28,780.20
Cash: not incl, until I know my capital gains tax from the house sale (Apr)

Almost 1/4 a millionaire!:dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:

Congratulations.

Thanks guys

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Congratulations on your milestone.I think you are doing fine for your age.Just remember ,someone will ALWAYS be getting richer at a faster pace ,but who cares?All that matters is where you are and I think you are in a good place.As someone told me on this forum,keep up the fight no matter what.

Agree with Unrealized. My wife and I hit similar milestones earlier, but looking back, given our high incomes we WASTED so many opportunities to save more (polite way of saying we've thrown money down the drain for years without thinking about it). So, don't measure absolute benchmarks. Look at it as a % of your income and a % of your spending. $250k is a nice pile of money if you can live off $25k a year. Not so much if you need $100k per year.

Keep up the good work!

You are up on the wave, now ride it to successful retirement! There was a thread about the turning point, where your savings increase at a faster rate by themselves rather than your (pre-tax) input. For example, if you are doing the max $17.5K pre-tax right now, as long as your savings are yielding >9% the savings increase is outpacing your contributions. Of course you still do your contributions, but it starts the snowball now and is nice to watch it grow.

For me, 200k was when my dividends were big enough that, i was like "wow they just give me that each quarter? For nothing? This investing stuff is real"

Thats when it hit 4 digits.

At 250, you get to use the M word. :)

Congrats! A $100K here, a $100K there, that's how people build their $million.

I like the "another link in the chain" analogy. My goal is to save $2M on my own with or without my pension since I may be single and I have no chance of an inheritance. I'm guessing the first half is probably harder than second half due to the interest momentum.

Last edited:
Congrats! That's a nice round number with lotsa sexy zeros.

I was just thinking the same thing. 💗

I'm short and I've lived in Seattle twice. I'll move back on day, in sure. My hometown SF is too expensive.

Congrats! Compounding is the 8th wonder of the world. It gets easier from here.

And don't freak if the market tanks and you slip backward for a bit. Just remember that you're then just buying shares at a cheaper price.

Good luck. Keep climbing.

Nice work, just keep investing at the same pace (or faster), those hundred thousand numbers will go by faster and faster...

neat! I am 54 and was just about where you are now when I was your age. Planning to ER in 2017.

neat! I am 54 and was just about where you are now when I was your age. Planning to ER in 2017.

Glad to hear! Good luck!

Heeyy Joe
Love the quote. It rivals my favorite which is " A man is a success when he reaches the point where he makes most of his money while he us sleeping"

10/28/2015 - New milestone reached - 401(k) portion of portfolio hit $200k today!!!Actually, $200,612.61 to be exact!!

It will go up and down many times, but hitting a new $100k mark is exhilarating and comforting too. I'm closer to freedom and security...and peace of mind.

New stats:
401(k): $200,612.61
Roth: $37,310.99

[not bad considering this year's returns]

Exactly one year ago today, I hit the $200k portfolio milestone:

401(k): $171,408.79
Roth: $28,780.20:

Back
Top Bottom