On the road the early retirement-

JohnnTexas

Dryer sheet wannabe
Hi All, I am new to the board and my first time posting.

I am 49 years old, married with 4 children. Two are in college, one in HS and an 8th grader. So, a few more years of college to pay for.

I currently have a net worth of $1.4M consisting of 401K, Pension Lump Sum and profit sharing accounts (Fidelity and JP Morgan). I am not counting the equity in my home which is $500K. I am not counting SS or an anticipated pension from my current employer.
No debt other than a mortgage that will be paid off in about 7 yrs. i plan to work at least 9 more years until my youngest gets through college.
If all goes as planned, I expect a yearly income in retirement of about $125,000 between the 2 pensions + SS and my nest egg to grow to about $2.5M - $3M by retirement.

A couple of questions:
1) for those of you that retire early, what are you doing for health insurance?
2) how much are your health care costs per year?
3) I feel I am on e right track to a successful early retirement. Any thoughts from the group here on what you see in my post?

THANKS, JOHNNTEXAS

I have health insurance from my former employer but it costs about 3x's as much to be a retiree as it is to be an employee. We are paying 10,000/year for the 2 of us.

Welcome JohnnTexas!

If you are planning to work until 58, you have a lot of time to continue to build your assets. Since you'll turn 50 next year, you can take advantage of the 401K "catch-up" to put more $$$ away pre-tax.

Also, if you have things lined up for whatever you plan to pay for college, don't feel like you have to keep working until they graduate. I realized during our youngest's freshman year that we had sufficient cash/529/etc. to pay the rest of the bills and that's when I decided to pull the ER trigger. So glad I didn't wait, but YMMV.

Lots of good info and helpful folks here, so jump in!

Hi JohnnTexas, welcome!

Looking forward to hearing thoughts as well. My wife and I are 3 years, God willing, from retiring at 55. Our biggest question is health care costs and potential of long term care if needed.

Back
Top Bottom