10 Ways Introverts Interact Differently With The World

REWahoo

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give
With all the INTJing that takes place on this forum I thought this article might be of interest:

...introversion...is "different from being shy."

"Shyness is about fear of social judgment," Cain said. "Introversion is more about how do you respond to stimulation, including social stimulation. So extraverts really crave large amounts of stimulation, whereas introverts feel at their most alive and their most switched on and their most capable when they are in quieter, more low-key environments."
10 Ways Introverts Interact Differently With The World

I love that article, and the paragraph you quoted from it! I don't feel like I am shy any more, now that I am grown. But I do appreciate my time alone.

Here's another paragraph that I thought was interesting:
Every introvert has a limit when it comes to stimulation. HuffPost blogger Kate Bartolotta explains it well when she writes, "Think of each of us as having a cup of energy available. For introverts, most social interactions take a little out of that cup instead of filling it the way it does for extroverts. Most of us like it. We're happy to give, and love to see you. When the cup is empty though, we need some time to refuel."

I never realized that anyone would feel their cup was filled by social interactions, instead of depleted as it is for me. Extroverts are sure different.

"Shyness is about fear of social judgment," Cain said. "Introversion is more about how do you respond to stimulation, including social stimulation. So extraverts really crave large amounts of stimulation, whereas introverts feel at their most alive and their most switched on and their most capable when they are in quieter, more low-key environments."

Ain't that the truth!!! I think that's why I am so much more productive when I am isolated and away from all the "humanity"!!! :D

Good article...now need to go watch the mentioned TED talk.

Interesting. I assume there's a continuum, evidently those in the center are "ambiverts." A couple of very basic references.
ambivert-personality-continuum-scale.png

introvertvsextrovert.jpg

2bb5b057105ac6406847e9dfc9d5f701.jpg

Last edited:
One of my pet peeves is all these (TED and others) talks about social connections, how we are social animals, that we like to engage and love being part of a group, crave social stimulation.

Never mind team building activities and social cohesion exercises.

*ahem* not all of us.

Some of use just like a nice cabin with a few visitors every now and then.

One of my pet peeves is all these (TED and others) talks about social connections, how we are social animals, that we like to engage and love being part of a group, crave social stimulation.

*ahem* not all of us.

Started breathing heavy while reading this

*ahem* not all of us.

God I used to HATE team building exercises....

And when you go to a seminar etc., and they insist on separating people into groups to discuss...sucks ;)

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I liked the article and definitely am on the introvert side.

I've been arranging a family dinner (at a restaurant) for Saturday and as the attendee lis is growing, I already feel more and more discomfort.

The price we pay for sake of family :LOL:.

Part of me resents the article because of the title as it almost implies that if you are introverted you aren't normal....but I know I am just overly sensitive about that since the world we live in is largely based around extroverted tendencies.

Either way, the last item on the list resonated with me the most:

"They literally shut down when it's time to be alone."

That is me to a "T". A couple of weekends ago I was way overcommitted and doing things every night (much busier than normal). By Sunday night I was just cranky beyond belief and could not deal with anything. Absolutely needed to be alone. I try really hard to build that time into my life but that weekend it slipped away.

This is probably the one thing I try to cling to most - Alone time. I know how valuable it is to me.

This is probably the one thing I try to cling to most - Alone time. I know how valuable it is to me.

Speaking of alone time, I already turned down an invite to stop by a family member on Thanksgiving giving the reason that I'll be selfishly watching a football game. As an introvert, the very last thing I'd want is festivities interrupting the concentration on the game :LOL:

God I used to HATE team building exercises....

And when you go to a seminar etc., and they insist on separating people into groups to discuss...sucks ;)

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

We have one scheduled during our departmental meeting tomorrow. Dreading it already. {groan}

Fortunately I never had to participate in these "team building exercises". They sound horrible.

There's a great book titled "The Introvert's Advantage" that discusses many of these ideas. Must reading for INTJs who want to understand themselves better. This really is an extrovert's society and this books helps one understand why things that seem so natural and pleasant for some, are difficult to manage for us. But lack many qualities that we have in abundance.

There's a great book titled "The Introvert's Advantage" that discusses many of these ideas. Must reading for INTJs who want to understand themselves better. This really is an extrovert's society and this books helps one understand why things that seem so natural and pleasant for some, are difficult to manage for us. But lack many qualities that we have in abundance.

+1 On "The Introvert Advantage" by Marti Olsen Laney.

Totally saw myself in a different light after reading it. Ten years later and DW's book club is finally reading it. The book is on her night table as we speak.

-gauss

Attachments

• MBTI-types.jpg
    MBTI-types.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 16
The difference between a fakey exercise and actual team building, where you and others solve real problems together, is like "being set up with" someone, versus meeting someone and growing to care for them over time. Amethyst

Fortunately I never had to participate in these "team building exercises". They sound horrible.

I like to tell people that I'm on the anti-social committee at work. And of course I'm the only member. Though I'm sure others have their own committees.

Introverts are obviously much more introspective and enjoy analyzing their introversion.

Introverts are obviously much more introspective and enjoy analyzing their introversion.
Hehe - ain't that the truth!

I enjoy some of the articles I've seen online about introversion. Many of them have helped me understand myself better and have been something of a saving grace though at this point, many of them are simply repeating things to me I already know. I hate to say it, but when my friends post articles about introversion on Facebook, I can find it a little off-putting. Talking so much about introversion seems, well, such an introspective thing to do. I have been on the cusp of posting essays about my own introversion and reclusiveness in order to share these experiences with my friends but have held back, as it seems a bit self-indulgent to be talking about myself so much.

Besides, my cats understand me perfectly, I think............ :LOL:

Last edited:
Either way, the last item on the list resonated with me the most:

"They literally shut down when it's time to be alone."

Just a little of subject here (OK...a lot) but a HUGE pet peeve of mine is incorrect use of "literally". If you were to "literally shut down"...I am thinking thatyou are DEAD. :D

Back on subject, I really don't consider myself to be shy (and can be quite vocal around others I am close to) but I do use the ... "pronunciation" often. So...guess I am shy!

Just a little of subject here (OK...a lot) but a HUGE pet peeve of mine is incorrect use of "literally". If you were to "literally shut down"...I am thinking thatyou are DEAD. :D

Back on subject, I really don't consider myself to be shy (and can be quite vocal around others [-]I am close to[/-] with whom I am close) but I do use the ... "pronunciation" often. So...guess I am shy!

Fixed it for you.
A HUGE pet peeve of mine is ending a sentence with a preposition.

:LOL:

Fixed it for you.
A HUGE pet peeve of mine is ending a sentence with a preposition.

:LOL:

Good catch. I can still here my Mother say, "Behind the preposition at" to my interrogative, "Where are you at?"

Can I get a little credit for refusing to abbreviate while sending a text? :cool:

FlyBoy, I haven't even begun to address your spelling errors (each message includes one!) but I will put it down to giddiness at the prospect of ER next week.

:dance::dance::dance:

Last edited:
I loved the article. I perked up when I read, "They physically can't stand talking on the phone." I've been screening my calls for I don't know how long.

When I took the online Myers Briggs test recently I was an INTJ but it said that I was 50% in the introversion scale. That sounds about right for me. I recognize a lot of introversion traits in myself but over the years I've learned to be more social and enjoy it. My natural state is introversion but I feel mentally healthier in the center of the spectrum.

I always preferred and managed to get a private office. I liked to spend 50% of my time alone and 50% of my time walking around talking to people and checking out activity on the factory floor. However, at lunch I need to get out of the Bldg and eat alone.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom