Most Pleasurable 40 bucks or less

eta2020

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
There is nothing that gives me more satisfaction in life than nice meal and bottle of red wine shared with my wife or dear friend.

How about you?

Nice things in life don't cost big money :) Those nice things count more than NW......

Last edited:
We love going to the movies. Especially Imax, popcorn and a soda to share.

I know, it's close to the amount but still worth it to us...........

Figure skating, $4.- two hours. Another rink $8.- 3 hours, but crappy hockey ice.

There is nothing that gives me more satisfaction in life than nice meal and bottle of red wine shared with my wife or dear friend.

How about you?

Nice things in life don't cost big money :) Those nice things count more than NW......

+1

Two meals plus a bottle of wine for $40? Where are you dining?

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Two meals plus a bottle of wine for $40? Where are you dining?

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

At home or Bring Your Own Bottle place....... but that does not matter.....you got a point and plus and minus 20 bucks does not matter for a sake of argument.

I live in very expensive Boston area and I am 100% sure 60 bucks will be more the enough. So 40 bucks will cover most of US.

Last edited:
My favorite restaurant to celebrate with my husband is Barbarella's in La Jolla

They have a great menu but we always order the same 3 things - and split them.
Fritti (usually lightly battered shrimp and green beans or asparagus... with an awesome olio to dip in. But sometimes the seafood may be calimari, or something else... and the green bean can be almost any long skinny green veggie)
Pizza Max - a thin crust brick oven pizza with creme fraiche, thin salmon (like lox) and roasted capers.
Chocolate tort with homemade banana ice cream

We split these items and it's *just* the right amount of food. Sometimes we'll order wine or a martini - but that blows the $40 budget. It's a nice, but casual place that we really enjoy.

I had 3 microbrews, a burger and fries at 3 Floyds today for $38 including tip. Best $38 I have spent in a while. Last time I had that much fun for $40 was DW and I going to the movies, popcorn and a big coke.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Last edited:
Today I had a massage by a friend who only charges $40. They usually last for over an hour and she comes to our home. We also give her something out of our organic garden. Today it was Jalpeno peppers, green tomatoes, Meyers lemons, and Rosemary.

Cheers!

We would go to the discount movies . $2.00 for tickets then stop at our local pub for half price wine & an appetizer and have change left from the $40.00.

I bought a planetarium annual membership for $40 on Groupon. We go to the planetarium for lectures, shows, and movies on the dome screen for some of our date nights out. It is a pretty drive at night going home, driving down from the hills as we can see the lights of the city below.

Lots of great experiences for less than $40!

Taking into account the current exchange rate, my symphony ticket for last month's concert was just under $40 US. It was a superb concert and acoustically I had the best seat in the house.

Tomorrow night is the next concert. My friend is doing a solo!

Weekly round of golf with my long time buddies. And a shared pitcher of beer and conversation at the 19th hole.

More than one favorite thing for <$40.

- Weekday breakfast at local (walking distance) restaurant with DW.

- A round of golf with buddies.

In October we were in Hilton Head, SC. On the beach you can rent 2 beach chairs and an umbrella, already set up with the umbrella anchored, for $32 all day or $18 after 1pm. We spent the afternoon on the beach on our 2nd day there and liked it so much that we did it again 2 days later. Total cost $36.

Watching our favorite local band at a fun restaurant where we can get great appetizers (g-free) and good wine for about $40.

Driving through the foothills into the Rockies(Kananaskis) and eating lunch beside a glacier fed stream. Perhaps even seeing some wildlife. The lighting and the scenery is different each time.

A couple of racks of baby back ribs. My local supermarket has better, meatier ribs than any local butcher, so I indulge more often than I otherwise might.
After six hours or so in the Big Green Egg, it's pure bliss for 2-3 days.

At home or Bring Your Own Bottle place....... but that does not matter.....you got a point and plus and minus 20 bucks does not matter for a sake of argument.

I live in very expensive Boston area and I am 100% sure 60 bucks will be more the enough. So 40 bucks will cover most of US.

I can't think of anyplace in my region of the Chicago burbs where DW and I could go out and have a nice bottle of wine plus two enjoyable entrees plus tip for $40.

A BYO restaurant would help as you could then hold down the cost of the wine to $10.

Dining at home...... Then's it easy to slip in under $40. But we do that most every night......

Last edited:
For me its music or books. I'm happy to while away the time listening to a new album. Of course, the stereo I built to listen to that music cost WAY more than $40.

Back
Top Bottom