Votes: 68 31.5%
  • Silent 1937 -1945

Votes: 8 3.7%
  • GI Generation (before) 1937

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
Your generation according to this chart.

Attachments

• Generation.jpg
    Generation.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Puzzled by their math. Those of us born in 1954 are 60...

Ah, I see the chart is from 2010. Nm...

I'm actually a little surprised at the relative smoothness of the Boomers thru Millennials.

I had always been of the impression that the Boomers were a huge slug of population moving through; sort of a Bell Curve.

I had assumed that the before and after numbers would be a lot smaller and very surprised at the large amount of Millennials.

Born in 1944; so I guess I'm Silent.

Since most of my friends and associates are Boomers I have always thought of myself as part of that group.

I hope that there is no long-term penalty for my actions.

I've always loathed being lumped into a "generation". We're suppose to have certain things in common and have common memories and ideals - PUH-LEASE. Way too pop-culturey for my taste. Bah!

On a less down beat note, when did people start classifying people into "generations"? It's got to be a 20th century thing right?

I thought the understood definition of a "generation" was 20 years.(?)

I'm a "younger boomer" by birth date (according to Pew), but I'm generally more "culturally aligned" with folks born about 20 years earlier. Just behind my time, I guess.

Last edited:
I've always loathed being lumped into a "generation". We're suppose to have certain things in common and have common memories and ideals - PUH-LEASE. Way too pop-culturey for my taste. Bah!

On a less down beat note, when did people start classifying people into "generations"? It's got to be a 20th century thing right?

Madison Avenue...

Sent from my iCouch using Early Retirement Forum

I think it started being a big deal in the 90's (my memory from work). Consultants were brought in to help the generations understand one another's attitudes toward work, which purportedly were very different. Nowadays the younger folks at work seem enamored of the idea of being part of a distinct generational "cohort." They also seem grimly wedded to the notion of having a much tougher row to hoe than their parents did. It's like a mantra for them; they don't appreciate disagreement on this point.

Amethyst

Same time they started calling an inch of snow a storm and naming it.

It's only a matter of time until the four Yorkshiremen make an appearance in this thread.

As someone born in 1961 I always related more to the GenXers than the Boomers. My dad served in the Korean conflict, not WWII. I was never at risk of going to Vietnam, and was too young to experience the hippy thing or even the disco thing... but did experience the punk movement.

At least this grouping acknowledges the differences between young boomers and old boomers. My husband is in the older boomer camp and fits the classic definition - the boom in babies when soldiers came home from WWII... His dad came home from the Battle of Bulge with a purple heart, got married, and helped in the creation of some boomers.

My husband missed the whole punk scene - but was an active participant in the hippy and disco scenes.

Born in 1954 so selected older boomer but always felt I had more in common with the younger boomers...

Younger Boomer, born 1958.

Somehow I recall my age group being called "Space Age babies" but can't seem to find that group label via googling.

Last edited:
I'm an early retired millennial. Which is weird. I can't identify with a group that is struggling to find post-college employment and still lives with their parents. Maybe it's because I'm one of the oldest millennials out there.

Born in 1963, I am technically a "younger boomer" but I feel more like a Gen-Ex. This is because how I originally heard the definition of a "boomer" back in the 1980s. A "boomer" referred to the post-war baby boom which began after WWII ended. The soldiers came back from the Europe and Asia and got married and had lots of kids. But my dad was not old enough to have served in WWII, so I never considered myself a "boomer" whose dad was a WWII veteran. This makes me a Gen-Exer, like my younger brother who was born in 1968.

'Silent' here......(there's a misnomer if I ever heard one).......now I feel old, looking at the poll results.

Baby Boom was the first "generation" term invented by news media, because so many babies were born per year for such a long term of years that it affected daily life for almost everyone (e.g. kids going to partly-finished high schools being run on "double sessions" because the municipality couldn't keep up with the ongoing demand for new schools; house prices being pushed to unheard-of multiples during the 1970's and 80's by an onslaught of new young buyers).

Previously, people just referred to "the younger generation" and "the older generation."

The rest of the colorful generational labels were, I firmly believe, invented by consultants for profit reasons. It was a very clever idea, based on people's desire to be different, yet at the same time, to belong.

Hey, what happens when your parents move to Florida and don't have basements? :ROFLMAO:

Amethyst

Last edited:
Hey, what happens when your parents move to Florida and don't have basements? :ROFLMAO:
:LOL:
Maybe that's why they move to Florida and buy those small condos. No room for the kids to move back in.

This is the first poll I've seen which defines millennials as being born in the 70's. I've always thought of myself as a young Xer.

Born in 1963, I am technically a "younger boomer" but I feel more like a Gen-Ex. This is because how I originally heard the definition of a "boomer" back in the 1980s. A "boomer" referred to the post-war baby boom which began after WWII ended. The soldiers came back from the Europe and Asia and got married and had lots of kids. But my dad was not old enough to have served in WWII, so I never considered myself a "boomer" whose dad was a WWII veteran. This makes me a Gen-Exer, like my younger brother who was born in 1968.

+1. Another '63er here. Being called a boomer drives me crazy. I can identify closer to the late 60s set than the late 50s set. Too much happened in our experience that we were left out of (Vietnam War -- we just missed the draft, and I'm NOT complaining, for example).

I agree completely.

In fact, as a 1948 baby I think it's nuts to include anyone in the post WWII baby boom generation except those born from 1945-1950, and that's stretching it. As I understood it, the idea behind labeling any of us as part of the post WWII baby boom was that soldiers came home from the war and immediately started the families they had delayed while off fighting. I can't imagine that it would take longer than 5 years for most couples to conceive.

I don't think our experiences as the leading edge of a population explosion had much (if anything at all) in common with the experiences of those born in the 1950's and 1960's. They were born when the birth rate had been higher for quite some time and in many ways the world was already prepared for more kids, while that was not always the case for us. Hangers on!! :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
'Silent' here......(there's a misnomer if I ever heard one).......now I feel old, looking at the poll results.

I believe it is called that because it threw it up very few political leaders, and no US presidents. A generation was skipped between Reagan and Clinton I think.

Back
Top Bottom