Ad preventing me from getting onto ER.org

Alan

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
I have tried IE and Chrome on my Windows 7 laptop and Safari on my iPad and when I access ER.org the site opens briefly but is then replaced by a blank screen except on the iPad where it is replaced by an ad for the Options Education program. I'm creating this thread from the ER ap, but I don't know how to attach a screen shot using the ap.

Anyone else having this problem?

Me too. Windows 7 on a PC. I fixed by googling the board and going to www.early-retirement.org/forums. Just tried it in another window and all cleared up. The ad was for Ameriprise if I recall properly.

Thanks for the tip, I just tried that and still get the same result using Safari on the iPad but it does work on the laptop. Oh well, I'm leaving for a few hours and will try again when I get back.

I had the same issue this morning, an ad hijack. It's on the home page only. After a couple of failed attempts, I opened a link to a subscribed thread, I was able to log in easily and have had no more issues.

Same thing happened to me last evening, when I tried to access the forum using the main http://www.early-retirement.org/ URL as I normally do -- in my case, it was an ad for Ally Bank. I was likewise able to bypass that ad screen using the URL that went directly to the forum, http://www.early-retirement.org/forums

But, just now, I wasn't blocked by the ad screen when I accessed the site via the main URL.

(I use Chrome on a Win8 laptop)

Ditto as well. Using win 7 on pc.
I had success by hitting the "back" command and usual home page appeared.
Nwsteve

Lots of ways to beat this. :) Tech support has been informed.

I had the same issue this morning, an ad hijack. It's on the home page only. After a couple of failed attempts, I opened a link to a subscribed thread, I was able to log in easily and have had no more issues.

I did something like this workaround. The ad varies, from etrade to Discover to something else. The e-r.org home page opens for two seconds and then just the little horizontal banner ad at the top of the white page replaces it. Pressing the back button makes it repeat--momentary home page, then mini ad.

Eta: I am using an ipad.

Last edited:
Gee, I forget that this page is supported by ad revenue. I'm one of those that never see ads here (just the right mix of software. 9Hint: no IE ever, use AdBlock Plus)

I had the same problem on my iPad this morning (with Safari). I got around it be Googling early retirement and clicking on the link to Sent Items. So it must be just the home page.

Folks we're trying to track this issue down - thanks for your patience...

Thanks, Janet.

FYI it just happened a few minutes ago on my Windows 8 machine, running Chrome, with an Ally ad and then a couple of Mutual of Omaha banners when I hit the button. But it didn't happen right now.

Wahoo! :dance: Seems like the problem might be fixed. Hope my cheers and enthusiasm aren't premature, but just now I got here the usual, normal way.

Many thanks to those who have been working hard on fixing this problem. :flowers:

Wahoo! :dance: Seems like the problem might be fixed. Hope my cheers and enthusiasm aren't premature, but just now I got here the usual, normal way.

Many thanks to those who have been working hard on fixing this problem. :flowers:

No - it's not fixed. We're still working on this.... ;)

Me, too. Thought the problem was with my browser, but it did it on different browsers.

I experienced this problem yesterday and everything today has worked just fine.

I was fine yesterday but it's completely unusable on my Mac right now. Even if I get to a thread the next time I click it's an ad-only page. At least the app seems to be working.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

No issues on my Kindle using tapatalk or browsers with ad block. ;)

Sent from my mobile device so please excuse grammatical errors. :)

Musta been the North Koreans. :confused:

No problems here with Mac and Safari. I mean, I see adds to the right but ignore. Works same as it ever did.

Ameriprise ad did it to me last night for awhile.

Had it happen to me this morning for the first time (my laptop, using Firefox build 35.0). I noticed the URL had a # in the end (as in, http://www.early-retirement.org/#)

I deleted the #, hit "enter" to load the address. Took 2 tries, but finally gave me the correct ER homepage.

Back
Top Bottom