5 ways to slow down time

Focus

Full time employment: Posting here.
I'm nearly five months into early retirement, and time is flying by. It's not an unpleasant feeling, although when I was working I did everything I could to slow down time on weekends.

I've found a Psychology Today article from about a year ago -- "How to make the next year the longest of your life" -- that offers tips on how to slow time down so you can savor it more. The author boils it down to:

1. Fill this year with new experience.
2. Live in the present: be mindful.
3. Don't spend too much time in states of absorption.
4. Cultivate states of "super-absorption."
5. Don't rush -- live slowly.

You'll want to read his descriptions in the article to get a better idea of what each one is about. So far in retirement, 1, 2 and 5 are coming naturally to me; 3 and 4 are interesting and food for thought...

Interesting concepts! Thanks for sharing.

I'll go along with 1,2 and 5. Are 3 & 4 related to the use of Depends?

That was interesting. I don't think that I would ever do #3 or 4. I have never been in the zone that I can remember.

Dang, I thought this was another book idea thread and I was going to suggest you travel very near the speed of light. Relative to everyone else, time would slow to a crawl.

Meditation could be helpful as a 2015 resolution for these.

The author mentions this briefly, but it "scares" some people, thinking you must have a mantra to chant or screw up your body in crazy ways.

Last edited:
Take up amateur boxing. You'll never believe how long six minutes can last until someone is punching you in the face for most of them.

Way, way, back in the day, smoking pot seemed to slow things down. As to the 5 suggestions to slow down time, my 8-year old granddaughter would say: "Borrrrrring"!

An average 8 year old wants to speed up time. I remember being in kindergarten. I thought it took FOREVER to get to first grade. Ditto becoming a teenager. After college, life has gone by too fast. But then I spent most of my time working. It wasn't my time at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

The slowest time ever went for me was at my (now departed) overly warm in-laws house watching CSPAN, with limited booze options.:)

When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.

Albert Einstein.

Try and drive through Washington DC at rush hour. Gives new menaing to rush. Or most any LA freeway.

Watch "Out of Africa." The longest most boring movie ever...time slows to a crawl.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Back
Top Bottom