Whirlpool washer is dying

We just replaced a 20+ year old Kenmore with a Whirlpool WTW5000 top loader (no agitator) with the latest gizmos.

So far very mixed reactions. On the plus side, most clothes come out cleaner than they did before.

On the minus side (big minus), If the load is not perfectly balanced, particularly with big bulky items (towels, Blue Jeans, heavy jackets) it will go into a seemingly endless cycle where the computer tries to balance the load by adding water, swirling things around and then tries to spin again- nope it's not balanced - so it goes thru the cycle over and over. I finally stopped it, took out about half the dripping wet stuff, put into a drain and spin cycle and then it worked OK. Frustrating.

Next I'm going to try mixing light and heavy stuff since the just heavy stuff loads are not working so well.

At this point I will consider buying used via Craigslist or local ad from somebody moving. It doesn't seem that anyone makes good solid reliable appliances anymore. Even the $2k washers crap out in five years or so.

When we moved last year it came with 15+ year old appliances. DH keeps saying we need to replace him. I told him they will get replaced when we are no longer able to repair them. I like the idea of buying used.

I subscribed to the on-line version of Consumer Reports (about $25-$30/year). It is a great way to compare features and get their recommendations. I've had very good luck with their recommendations on everything from cars to appliances. If you don't want to subscribe, most public library have the magazines.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Appliance thoughts:

Washers: Have had used that lasted until we tired of them, now have an LG HE front loader about 8 yo. No problems other than the mildew even if leave door open. After 40 years can't complain about washers or dryers; have been able to fix a few things that went wrong

Dryers: No problems I can recall.

Refrigerators: Had two in last 30 years, never a problem and the second one was just a style decision with a remodel. For what they do, refrigerators seem pretty reliable to me.

Stove: Only problem in long past was a heating element in oven. Then 10 years ago got Maytag range in a remodel. Have replaced spark igniter module for burners, and igniter bar for both oven and broiler. Not too impressed.

Dishwasher: In remodel took out an Asco that was without a doubt quietest dw have ever witnessed. Unfortunately it didn't make the remodel cut. Maytag unit was LOUD (most expensive model) and it quit so out it went. Impressed with daughters Bosch, but had problems with it, under warranty. It's OK, but not as quiet at the Asco. If ever replace, whatever it costs that's what I'll get.

Microwave: never had a problems with any of em!

Interesting that IMO cars are becoming incredibly reliable (remember when highways had signs for "mechanic on duty!"? Can't recall last time a car left me in lurch other than dead battery. On the other hand, IMO appliances are becoming crap!

HO, your general thoughts above would mirror mine exactly, with the exception that I have an electric stove, and I wouldn't be surprised if it outlives me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On the other hand, IMO appliances are becoming crap!

No question in my mind. We bought a new house 12 years ago furnished with GE appliances by the builder. Dishwasher was very loud and quit in 8-9 years, replaced with a quiet KitchenAid. Kenmore top loading washer quit in 18 months, needed a circuit board that was going to cost more than half the cost of the washer, so replaced it with a Maytag. I offered Sears the opportunity to do a least a partial adjustment and their only question was "Did you buy the service contract?" No, I don't buy those and since you sold me a lemon, refused to even discuss, I will never spend a nickel in a Sears store again.

(I'm good on that promise. In 1970 my mother bought me an electric typewriter made by Brother, and the price was a stretch for her but she wanted me to have that advantage for school. It was a royal pita to own and to this day I will not even consider anything made by Brother. Now that's holding a grudge!)

The GE microwave also quit in 8-9 years, replaced with a Maytag. The GE garbage disposal was incredibly loud, replaced when DW wanted a porcelain sink because the stainless was getting pretty ugly.

The GE refrigerator, while not replaced, did need a new $150 circuit board in about 2 or 3 years.

To say that I am disappointed with appliance quality is understatement.:mad:

Gee Walt, that is some bad luck! My house was built for me about a dozen years ago too. Contractor bought me a fridge, stove, and dishwasher for $900 total. That fake stainless steel stuff. Only the dishwasher quit on me and that was after 11 years. All other appliances including over stove microwave and washer/dryer have not had a problem. You need to quit buying quality and buy the cheap stuff as it never seems to break down!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gee Walt, that is some bad luck! My house was built for me about a dozen years ago too. Contractor bought me a fridge, stove, and dishwasher for $900 total. That fake stainless steel stuff. Only the dishwasher quit on me and that was after 11 years. All other appliances including over stove microwave and washer/dryer have not had a problem. You need to quit buying quality and buy the cheap stuff as it never seems to break down!
+1
... dishwasher the only problem, and that only because after 11 years, the plastic coating on the racks is starting to get rust spots where we wash the long knives. Replacement $135 for the lower rack... We're learning to like rust spots. :blush:

I bought a new Kenmore washer about 7 years ago to replace a 20+ year old washer that endured multiple daily uses for decades thanks to having kids.:angel: The old washer had one problem, early on, a broken timer fixed under warranty. Then no problems.

When I was talking to the sales person, she agree with me that buying a Kenmore for their reliability was a great idea. When the decision was made and I was paying for the machine, she tried to sell me an extended warranty by arguing that the newer machines were not as well made as the older ones. :confused: I wonder if she even cared just how goofy she sounded. Or that her statement triggered immediate second thoughts about my purchase. Thankfully, the new machine has had no problems, though it does get far less use than the one it replaced.

Last edited:
My Hotpoint w/d set, as I recall about two notches above the cheapest set, cost ~ $700 in 1996, is still chugging along.

Bought all Whirlpool/Kitchen Aid appliances after a kitchen remodel in 2009; no problems so far.

Sent from my iCouch using Early Retirement Forum

I bought a new Kenmore washer about 7 years ago to replace a 20+ year old washer that endured multiple daily uses for decades thanks to having kids.:angel: The old washer had one problem, early on, a broken timer fixed under warranty. Then no problems.

When I was talking to the sales person, she agree with me that buying a Kenmore for their reliability was a great idea. When the decision was made and I was paying for the machine, she tried to sell me an extended warranty by arguing that the newer machines were not as well made as the older ones. :confused: I wonder if she even cared just how goofy she sounded. Or that her statement triggered immediate second thoughts about my purchase. Thankfully, the new machine has had no problems, though it does get far less use than the one it replaced.

The service contract pressure goes back to the 1950's when I was a management trainee with Sears.
You cannot, in your wildest dreams imagine the amount of stress appliance salespeople went through... jobs on the line, totally dependent on attaining the service contract sale percent to total sales. Acceptable was supposed to be 60%.... 50% got you a warning, Less than 50% was probation, and two months in a row, under 50%... dismissal. This was back when HR was "Personnel".

The situation was so bad that salepeople "on the brink" would turn away certain sales, because it would cost them their livelihood. For all of my 30 years in retail, this was the higest profit margin of any department, any product, including fashion clothing and paint.

A big Thanks to Tandem Lover, jimbee, prudent one, and Yellow Jacket for all the Speed Queen info!

We have a Kenmore (made by Whirlpool) that is almost 26 years old, and eventually one day I know I will have to replace it. Totally turned off by all of the new machines I have been seeing, and a lot of the horror stories.

So I looked at the Speed Queen website, and at the website of a local appliance dealer that has a good name in the area (though I have never use them). They are a SQ dealer, and list the AWN 412, 432, and 542 with prices of 769, 799, and 839 respectively. I watched a couple of youtube videos on raising the water level by adjusting the preload on the pressure sensor... childs play!

So when the old Kenmore finally decides to die in a method I can't fix, I'll get an SQ if they still are the same all electro-mechanical.

The death of a washing machine usually is a major event, that requires one to make a decision pretty quick, so now at least I have a good candidate in mind!

I had a top load washing machine stop agitating. But since I didn't like the mold/smell issues of the new front load ones, I checked into fixing my old one.
Turns out, its really easy and only cost a $6 part that goes under the agitator.
So if your dependable washer stops agitating, google about it with model # and you could have a cheap repair available.

So when the old Kenmore finally decides to die in a method I can't fix, I'll get an SQ if they still are the same all electro-mechanical.
Hopefully, they have recognized that the "old school" electromechanical approach is bringing them market share and is their competitive advantage in this crowded field. It would be bad for them (but typical of businesses) if some new management comes in, finds that they can save $15 per unit and integrate "new features the consumers want" if they go with membrane switch panels and computerized controls.

How many different cycles/water temp combinations do most people really use/need to do their laundry? I think we use 3.

We had to replace our refrigerator and dishwasher recently. When we saw that the warranties were basically non existent we decided the machines were all in the disposable category. We went with the low end models. I refuse to pay for extended warranties.

I didn't know about Speed Queen washing machines. We bought a new LG washer and dryer when we bought the house 4 years ago. So far they are running problem free. If the washer craps out I'll look into a Speed Queen.

Turns out, its really easy and only cost a $6 part that goes under the agitator.
So if your dependable washer stops agitating, google about it with model # and you could have a cheap repair available.

I did that and it was probably the same thing - part of a ratchet/pawl arrangement to move the agitator. Total was $11 and change including shipping from partsdirect. Shipping was more than the part but anytime I can fix a washing machine for $11 I'm not complaining.

Well, we finally got so frustrated with this state of the art brand new Whirlpool washer and its inability to actually spin a regular load of blue jeans and towels to anything resembling dry enough for the dryer that I contacted Whirlpool service.

After spending a wonderful hour with their telephone service person and reading the model number label and serial number label LOUDER AND LOUDER - "sorry sir but that model number doesn't show up on my computer..." I managed to convince her to send a service request to a local technician. Finally technician came over, ran a few tests and said yup it needs a new motor and motor controller - we'll have to order those. In the meantime he said - "you know that motor is getting so hot in operation I recommend you don't use the washer till we get the new motor installed..."

We'll see what happens next. Probably with my luck the motor (or the controller board) are back ordered and have to come from their factory in Pluto. Not bad for a 1.5 month old washer.

Well, indeed the the parts were coming from Pluto. The motor was backordered and it finally got here last Friday. The repair person called me to schedule the appointment only to call back a little latter to inform me that the motor was damaged in shipment and was unusable. After a lot of unpleasantness we were able to get Sears to take the Whirlpool HE washer back in exchange for a fully manual GE no HE no nothin' machine. I hope it works better. One of those old washing machines with a manual wringer on the side looks awfully good now after using local laundries for a few weeks now. Lots of interesting characters there. Particularly when it's cold outside.

Well, indeed the the parts were coming from Pluto. The motor was backordered and it finally got here last Friday. The repair person called me to schedule the appointment only to call back a little latter to inform me that the motor was damaged in shipment and was unusable. After a lot of unpleasantness we were able to get Sears to take the Whirlpool HE washer back in exchange for a fully manual GE no HE no nothin' machine. I hope it works better. One of those old washing machines with a manual wringer on the side looks awfully good now after using local laundries for a few weeks now. Lots of interesting characters there. Particularly when it's cold outside.

Sounds like our experiences with a highly rated HE Whirpool Sears machine. It finally went out just a few days after the warranty and to fix it was about $800. They said to fix much of anything costs that much on them. We junked it and bought a traditional non electronic Hotpoint and it works fabulously. It only has knobs to turn. Now all our clothes are white again and the wash cycle is 30 mins not 65.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Sounds like our experiences with a highly rated HE Whirpool Sears machine. It finally went out just a few days after the warranty and to fix it was about $800. They said to fix much of anything costs that much on them. We junked it and bought a traditional non electronic Hotpoint and it works fabulously. It only has knobs to turn. Now all our clothes are white again and the wash cycle is 30 mins not 65.
Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Saw my FIL new washer, pretty fancy looking, cost him about $1,100 its a lot like the new GE washer, one of those front load ones, it has a super clean cycle on it. Takes 2.5 hours to wash one load :mad:

I'll be always buying topload old fashioned washers for as long as I can :greetings10:

I'll be always buying topload old fashioned washers for as long as I can :greetings10:

So will I after reading about the experiences here. And they'll be available used for decades to come even if manufacturers do stop making them.

2.5 hours? No way!

All of my husband's white tshirts turned beige in the fancy washer, no matter what I did. After about 10 washes in the old style washer, they were back to white.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom