Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community (http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/)
-   FIRE and Money (http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f28/)
-   -   More TurboTax woes - Minnesota stops accepting returns (edit - now all state filings) (http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f28/more-turbotax-woes-minnesota-stops-accepting-returns-edit-now-all-state-filings-75782.html)

ChicagoGal 02-05-2015 07:40 PM

More TurboTax woes - Minnesota stops accepting returns (edit - now all state filings)

Can the black eye get any bigger?

Minn. stops accepting TurboTax due to possible fraud

audreyh1 02-05-2015 07:45 PM

What?

samclem 02-05-2015 07:50 PM

NASDAQ: INTU
Just a thought . . .time to short this sack of rocks?? I'm sure that by the time my trade was made the price would already have taken its hits.

audreyh1 02-05-2015 08:45 PM

I'm not sure, but I think we've been using an eFile PIN since the start of efiling. Get Your Electronic Filing PIN

We don't file a state tax.

bizlady 02-05-2015 11:14 PM

UGH__I'm in MN and use TT. Apparently some have complained that their returns are filed according to the software, BUT they have not yet filed. Yet somehow, the returns filed wit the state. The state suspects fraud. Waiting to see if these are online returns or from personal PC's

harley 02-05-2015 11:19 PM

Wow! I actually went back to check the link and make sure it wasn't an Onion story. It will be very interesting to watch all this. And too, there's a huge issue with tax fraud at the federal level. But I think the weakness there is less TT than IRS.

I'm also glad to live in a no tax state. Part of the plan.

ChicagoGal 02-06-2015 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harley (Post 1553394)
Wow! I actually went back to check the link and make sure it wasn't an Onion story.

lol! I checked Snopes before I posted the link because it sounded too bad to be true :)

Midpack 02-06-2015 07:45 AM

I remember hackers claiming people's refunds last year, so I am not surprised. I assumed having no refund, we always owe fed and state by design, meant we had no exposure to this hacker angle. Evidently false. Sad though...

audreyh1 02-06-2015 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Midpack (Post 1553460)
I remember hackers claiming people's refunds last year, so I am not surprised. I assumed having no refund, we always owe fed and state by design, meant we had no exposure to this hacker angle. Sad though...

I'm not sure that's true. If you've paid withheld or estimated taxes, someone could still claim a refund, no? Although you'd think taxes paid would have to match IRS records before issuing a refund so I don't see how this fraud can work period.

One article I read they "corrected" the return and issued a higher refund. Hopefully they treat it as a flag now instead.

REWahoo 02-06-2015 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Midpack (Post 1553460)
I assumed having no refund, we always owe fed and state by design, meant we had no exposure to this hacker angle.

Don't be so sure.

Whether or not you are due a refund has no meaning to the hackers who file fraudulent returns - they create their own refunds. And even if you did have a refund coming, that loss almost certainly pales in comparison the world of hurt you'll be in as a result of having your identity stolen. That's where the real loss shows up...

timo2 02-06-2015 08:12 AM

Many states allow a person to file online for free via a state system. You do have to re- enter your data, but it saves paying turbotax for state filing, and also would avoid this issue.

marko 02-06-2015 08:39 AM

TuboTax halts state filings?

Any see this?

"TurboTax halts state filings" Citing fraud concerns, Minn. won't accept TurboTax returns

Midpack 02-06-2015 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timo2 (Post 1553473)
Many states allow a person to file online for free via a state system. You do have to re- enter your data, but it saves paying turbotax for state filing, and also would avoid this issue.

My state charges to eFile, so I use snail mail for state. I guess they were unintentionally doing me a favor...

MichaelB 02-06-2015 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marko (Post 1553495)
Any see this?

"TurboTax halts state filings" Citing fraud concerns, Minn. won't accept TurboTax returns

I merged these two threads and added something to the thread title.

GrayHare 02-06-2015 08:52 AM

eFiling is ripe pickings for fraud.

audreyh1 02-06-2015 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Midpack (Post 1553498)
My state charges to eFile, so I use snail mail for state. I guess they were unintentionally doing me a favor...

It's still a big problem on the Federal level. I'm hoping our eFile PIN is doing its job of protecting us.

Midpack 02-06-2015 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audreyh1 (Post 1553510)
It's still a big problem on the Federal level. I'm hoping our eFile PIN is doing its job of protecting us.

Imagine if the IRS were to take the same stance as MN? Wow...

bumtrader 02-06-2015 09:54 AM

TurboTax halts all E-filings in all states.

"As of yesterday, Thursday, February 5, Intuit is temporarily pausing transmission of state e-filing tax returns. This is effective for all states. Intuit will be working with the states today to begin turning transmissions back on..." :facepalm:

TurboTax Temporarily Halts E-Filing In All States Amid Fraud Concerns - Forbes

easysurfer 02-06-2015 11:02 AM

Maybe this is the year to try a different tax program after all :facepalm:

audreyh1 02-06-2015 11:36 AM

So Intuit is claiming that information for fraudulent filing of state returns did not come from them, but came from outside their system?

And somehow it doesn't affect filing of Federal returns?

I am confused!