Stiff, scratchy collars

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
Hi:
I'm a guy, an older guy, with an aging body, and not enough problems to keep my mind off an annoyance for which I've found no solution.
Stiff, scratchy, polo shirt collars. The knit collars that are supposed to look rolled and designed to keep their shape... neat... no twists or curling.

Yeah... they do that... they look good, but... After five or six washings, the fold takes on a permanent crease, and becomes sawtoothed, hard, and acts like a hacksaw on the wizened skin of some of us old timers.

And it doesn't matter what brand. They all do the same thing... except for the silky Izod shirts. They stay soft. Slight problem. They're down to one style, and the local Bergmans (Carsons) sells it for about $70 and even at half price, just too much to pay.
That's the problem. Have tried stretching, fabric softener, warm water, cold water, air dry, ironing, flattening between hard surfaces and hanging with the collars inside out. Nada.. Nothing works.

I hate tee shirts, and haven't worn a non polo/golf shirt in 25 years, so alternatives aren't the answer.

That's the problem: Never heard anyone else talk about this, so just assume that it's one of those things that curmudgeons find to complain about when there's nothing else to criticize. Best to let this one go as a simple "picky" rant to vent and go on with life... Let it slide off the list. :)

Next up... the toothpics that splinter when they get pushed into my martini olives.

Have you done a "six washings and throw it away vs $70 and keep it" analysis?

I sometimes find some Nautica polos at Costco/BJs/Kohls for about $19; toss 'em when they start to get ratty. For that kind of money it's not worth tolerating too much crap from them.

Someone wears collars?

DH pretty much only wears nylon shirts. They don't have scratchy collars. He removes the tag if it causes problems.

I do not not have an answer but I know what you mean. I wear t-shirts inside out most of the time (so no seam).

What type of material are they made from ? Synthetic, cotton, blend ? Do you develop a rash or is it just skin irritation from a rough surface fabric ?

Would something like this help ?
Unisex Mock Neck Dickey in Mid-weight Washable Silk | WinterSilks

I cannot tolerate anything that is pure synthetic. I like the cotton blends. Softer than polyester.

Maybe you've revealed why I have never been a polo shirt fan; don't own one. Since retiring it's tee shirts in summer, flannel LL Bean in winter; I used to get generic flannel but have learned to appreciate the Bean shirts. If wait a while get a 20% coupon so splurge. I still have about a half dozen oxford cloth shirts from working days that I'll break out if going out to dinner or such. After almost 4 years of retirement, only time I've had a tie on was at son's wedding. Silliest damn piece of attire ever devised. I believe that wedding was only time I've worn anything but jeans or shorts. Life is good.

I have a few LL Bean polos and have not noticed this issue. I mostly wear tees and prefer the LL Bean henley style tees (both short and long sleeve) as they are more comfortable at the neckline and look nicer than regular tees.

Confession and a Solution, maybe?

It's Saturday... my day off, so I've finally had time to research this.

First off... I'd never buy new. Get my clothing from the dead man's shop, where everything I can fit into a Walmart style wire handle basket costs $5... (Limit 10 articles). But, having confessed to this, doesn't mean I sacrifice quality. I just checked the brands on these sawtooth collared shirts and here are a few:
Ben Hogan - Haggar - Brooks Brothers - Ralph Lauren Polo - Chip Beck - Hathaway - Arrow Paddock Club - Arnold Palmer - Augusta Nat'l Shop. All look new, so no ragtag.
There.... that's the confession.

and now... a possible solution.
Fix Perpetually Curling Shirt Collars with Iron-On Patches

My problem is not with the rolling-up collar points, but I think that a strip iron-on patch on the back of the crease, may be a solution.

... and... Freebird... yes, it's the skin irritation. Worse in the dry of winter. thanks for the neck dickey suggestion... would work, I'm sure, but I have claustrophobia. Yeah... neck dickey... sounds feminine:confused: Am also a bit macho... sooo... :(

Re: the toothpicks... not going to plastic as I prefer to be eco-friendly. Am finding that using fine sandpaper before piercing the olives works. Hey, we all need something to keep from being bored in our retirement.
Stay tuned for further results on the iron -on patch experiment. :flowers:

Last edited:
I have found that the irritation is often caused by the thread used to stitch the collar or seam, and not the actual fabric itself. A while ago I had a pair of jeans with an interior label that irritated my skin whenever I wore the jeans. The label had been stitched in with something that looked like very fine mono-filament. A few nips with the scissors remove the offending stitches and the irritation.

... and... Freebird... yes, it's the skin irritation. Worse in the dry of winter. thanks for the neck dickey suggestion... would work, I'm sure, but I have claustrophobia. Yeah... neck dickey... sounds feminine:confused: Am also a bit macho... sooo... :(
Not just a chick thing...look closely at football players in cold weather games, downhill skiers, etc.
They are wearing silk dickies to keep their necks warm and un-irritated from sweat and friction. Silk is an all weather garment.
I was also going to suggest a small size silk bandanna, folded and pinned to the inside of the collar of the polo shirt.
Good luck with the iron on patches. Hope that w*rks out. :flowers:

I would agree with the LL Bean suggestion. The stuff I've bought from them has been very durable and holds up well to washing. I don't own any polo shirts, but I know what you mean about the collars, as DH has some that do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Back
Top Bottom