Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community (http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/)
-   Hi, I am... (http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f26/)
-   -   Ready to Jump! (http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f26/ready-to-jump-75824.html)

Tdoug58 02-08-2015 12:39 PM

Ready to Jump!

Hi! Pretty new to this forum and finding a ton of great info, looking for more guidance. DW and I in very similar circumstance; 56 YO teachers with 34 years in. I am planning to retire this June, DW teaching at least another year possibly longer. I've run numbers thru multiple calcs and esp. FIREcalc and I almost can't believe the results, 100% positive! That is with both $80 or $100k in expenses. I consider myself average or less when it comes to financial knowledge so I'm considering seeing a FA but wanted to get more info here first. 2 kids already thru college, 3rd going in fall (mostly covered by 529 and scholarships) Mortgage PYMT - $1400 (8 more yrs)
Current annual household income - $142K
Details:2 pensions totaling - $72800
$150K in TSA, other accounts
SS@66.8 (10 years out) = $52300

We will both receive $192K from DROP when we retire which I will roll over to a IRA of some sort and that is where I need some guidance. I am OK with moderate risk and would consider our pensions as the "safe/bond" position in our mix. Any ideas, questions or comments are welcome! Thanks!

Bigdawg 02-08-2015 12:45 PM

Tdoug58, both with 80-100K in expenses? You mean total expenses for you and the DW @ 100K right? Sounds like you have the $ worked out. How about the what are you going to do all day part? That seems to be a big issue for many ER's.

Good luck.

Bigdawg

kimcdougc 02-08-2015 12:48 PM

Sounds good. I retired 5 years ago. DH just retired Tuesday. Had to stay home this weekend because we have been too busy this past week. Good luck and welcome!

Tdoug58 02-08-2015 12:55 PM

Big Dawg, thanks for the reply, yes $112k would actually be 80% of our current salary and still comes out 100% in FIREcalc, unless I'm figuring something wrong. As far as what to do with my time, that's not a problem. As a teacher I've looked at my weeks off during summer as a test drive and I never have enough time. And hope to get caught up with the myriad numbers of home and self improvements that have been on back burner!

papadad111 02-08-2015 02:45 PM

Is pension cola'd ?
What's your home equity today ?

You might want to discount SS. Eg. Better to count on about 75% of what ever the SS calculators say... Builds in a margin of safety buffer

Great job. Enviable position and thanks for 32 years of educating our future !

Tdoug58 02-08-2015 04:59 PM

Yes, pension is COLA'ed and about 100K home equity.

I don't agree with discounted SS, i see no reason for that. And 35 years teaching! :) Thanks!

racy 02-09-2015 03:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tdoug58 (Post 1554410)
...I consider myself average or less when it comes to financial knowledge so I'm considering seeing a FA but wanted to get more info here first. ... We will both receive $192K from DROP when we retire which I will roll over to a IRA of some sort and that is where I need some guidance....Any ideas, questions or comments are welcome! Thanks!

Hi Doug,
If you want to save yourself $5000 or more per year in FA fees, then just replicate a Vanguard LifeStrategy fund for your IRAs. These are "funds of funds", ie an LS funds holds 4-5 other Vanguard funds. There are several LS funds: pick one that fits your risk level then check the "Holdings & Management" tab to see the specific funds. https://investor.vanguard.com/mutual.../overview/0914
People with "average" financial knowledge can do this!

If you do decide to get a financial adviser, then pick a fee-only one (not paid by commission on what they sell you).

Good luck!

Tdoug58 02-09-2015 04:04 PM

Thanks Racy,

Good info and that's hat I think and what I was looking for.

Tdoug58 02-14-2015 05:35 PM

$400K to invest

As I mentioned in my earlier post DW and I will receive about $400k in the next 1.5 year and I'd love input/ideas to rollover/invest. We both will receive pensions with COLA (see above). Thanks!