Experiences with Rollator Walkers?

Zuma

Dryer sheet aficionado
I am looking into purchasing a rollator, or a rolling walker with a seat, for my mother, who has COPD and other health issues, and is 75 years old. She is getting almost no exercise today and is fearful of walking far without a clear place nearby on which to take a seat. If she is willing, I would like to provide a rollator to her in hopes it will provide her with a bit more mobility/sense of freedom.

There seem to be quite a few manufacturers, but I haven't found a good source for consumer reviews to help make a selection.

Has anyone here had experiences with particular brands/models that would help me to narrow the field? She will need a model that supports a user of 225 lbs and it will need to be folded up relatively easily to place in the back of vehicle.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

This is the kind I got my mom:
http://www.amazon.com/Drive-Medical-Rollator-Removable-Support/dp/B005S1CHKC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1425687220&sr=8-1&keywords=walker
It seems to be about the best type -- everyone else at her retirement community was envious of it.

But another consideration is its convenience. While that four-wheel rollator style is great, she eventually came to prefer a more collapsible three-wheel type like this:
Amazon.com: Drive Medical Winnie Lite Supreme Aluminum Three Wheel Rollator, Tan Plaid: Health & Personal Care
This style was far more maneuverable, and better for within her apartment.

This is the kind I got my mom:
http://www.amazon.com/Drive-Medical...ie=UTF8&qid=1425687220&sr=8-1&keywords=walker
It seems to be about the best type -- everyone else at her retirement community was envious of it.

But another consideration is its convenience. While that four-wheel rollator style is great, she eventually came to prefer a more collapsible three-wheel type like this:
Amazon.com: Drive Medical Winnie Lite Supreme Aluminum Three Wheel Rollator, Tan Plaid: Health & Personal Care
This style was far more maneuverable, and better for within her apartment.

Thanks. I hadn't seen the three wheel type. Maneuverability will be a key issue in her home. Maybe one for in the home and another for trips to the store, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

My mom has the four wheel style with the seat . She loves it . She's 98 and gets tired when walking any distance .

Choice depends...
Best to get advice from a person familiar with the person using the walker.
Weight, strength, or symtoms of dizzines, or muscle strength has a lot to do with the type and kind of support. Often the professional will advise, based not on what is wanted, but what is safe.
My oldest best friend who is 90, was reluctant to dive up his wheeled/seat walker, but the therapist recommended this style, for more support.

http://www.amazon.com/Ez2care-Deluxe-Button-Folding-Anodized/dp/B009OEB6EC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1425829062&sr=8-3&keywords=walker

Make sure it is easy to lock the wheels. The last thing you want is for her to fall as she tries to sit down.

I have seen quite a few folks with the 2 wheel type struggle when walking outside, vs the 4 wheel types.
The 2 non-wheel legs of a 2 wheel type constantly catch on things/cracks and have to be lifted to move.

Back
Top Bottom