Sun City

Tailgate

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Day 3 of Sun City Georgetown Texas visit. Surprised how much we like it. Friendly people with a true sense of community. New Construction homes are nice.. We're about to explore the resale market with local realtor. The amenities at the activity centers are top notch. Clubs for every interest. 3 golf courses. People are all active and all give glowing reviews of lifestyle. I'm sure there's some negatives somewhere, but haven't heard them yet.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

My mom lives in Sun City Center, FL....... one of the early Sun City developments... and we have visited Sun City communities in California and the one in Georgetown. We didn't do the 3 day visit, just looked at the model and visited the town center and community center. We liked it but Georgetown is not warm enough in the winter for me, I would prefer Florida or California.

I'm sure there's some negatives somewhere, but haven't heard them yet.

What could possibly be negative about living surrounded by thousands of old people? :)

My retired BIL and his wife live in Georgetown, but not in Sun City. They consider residents who live there - the majority appear to be from California - to be members of some sort of cult. :LOL:

My mom lives there. I was initially skeptical, but it has been a great community for her. Only downside is that yes - because of many "older" folks - neighbors and friends tend to be ill and pass away more than a typical "neighborhood".
Georgetown in general is a much more politically conservative place than its neighbor to the south -Austin.

Yes, Williamson County is red and Austin is blue.

I see a good number of Sun City GTown residents in my j*b in short- and long-term stay nursing homes. Many people have moved down here to be near children and grandchildren.

I like El Monumento Restaurant there. Nice to be near an outlet mall if you need to buy something. The trip into Austin isn't bad except during rush hour.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

We are going to buy my folk's house in Sun City Georgetown later this year when they downsize. Unfortunately, we are still a couple of years away from retiring and moving to Texas. Does anyone know how easy it is to rent a house for a year or two? We don't need to maximize rental income so we can undercut the market if needed.

thanks,

Marc

If you like to vegetable garden, they have the best community garden I have ever seen. Huge greenhouse, tons of growing beds, nice gardeners.

Georgetown is in the plains, not quite in the hill country. It's not nearly as scenic as the areas west and south of there.

My BIL & wife also live in Georgetown, not in Sun City. She's a retired school and he heads up maintenance for a hospital there. He could retire (kids gone, house long paid off) but he's just not quite ready. They love it there. Traffic on Georgetown is so much worse than when I lived in Austin years ago.....but I guess that's no surprise.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Um, you did say it was in Texas, didn't you? :LOL:

Day 3 of Sun City Georgetown Texas visit. Surprised how much we like it. Friendly people with a true sense of community. New Construction homes are nice.. We're about to explore the resale market with local realtor. The amenities at the activity centers are top notch. Clubs for every interest. 3 golf courses. People are all active and all give glowing reviews of lifestyle. I'm sure there's some negatives somewhere, but haven't heard them yet.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

My BIL & wife also live in Georgetown, not in Sun City. She's a retired school and he heads up maintenance for a hospital there. He could retire (kids gone, house long paid off) but he's just not quite ready. They love it there. Traffic in Georgetown is so much worse than when I lived in Austin years ago.....but I guess that's no surprise.

What could possibly be negative about living surrounded by thousands of old people? :)

My retired BIL and his wife live in Georgetown, but not in Sun City. They consider residents who live there - the majority appear to be from California - to be members of some sort of cult. :LOL:

It's amazing how becoming a curmudgeon can sneak up on you. Ten years ago I would never have thought I would only want to live around "old people", but I like the idea now.
One of my best friends finally after almost 20 years of marriage gets around to having kids at 40. I rarely go over there as I don't want to hear them. So we meet at the bar to socialize. And I absolutely have not encouraged him to bring them over here as I don't want their dirty little paws touching my walls! :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ten years ago I would never have thought I would only want to live around "old people", but I like the idea now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SC limitation is now 50...used to be 55 to live there... young 'uns...
On our visit, everyone looked so damn happy :dance:

Mulligan, I agree. When the neighbor kids start playing basketball non-stop I just about go insane! The Del Webbs where I live (North California) are too expensive. Im also looking at Trilogy in Puget Sound.

BIL and divorced wife lived in Georgetown about 7-8 years ago. Nice area--close to Austin and the Hill country and within a day's drive to Colorado and a shorter one to Dallas or Houston or the Gulf.

BIL lived in Sun City FL for 5 years, but moved to Sebring FL to Tanglewood, another retirement community where he feels more comfortable. Much less expensive.

My Florida neighbor recently moved to SUN City in Huntley IL... and my best friend (who has since passed away), has a son who is a contractor who owns a business that has installed the windows in most of the 5400 homes there.
Sun City Community Association of Huntley, Inc.

I've been to both Sun Cities, but agree with BIL... Tanglewood friendly, busy, and more laid back.
55+ Community in Florida / Tanglewood / Providence by Hometown America

Last edited:
Make sure you look into the property tax rate. Williamson county has high prop tax rates even for Texas.

Our prop taxes in sun city anthem in Henderson NV are $2200 per year on a house valued at $350k. Sun city Georgetown could easily be quadruple that amount

My mom lives there. I was initially skeptical, but it has been a great community for her. Only downside is that yes - because of many "older" folks - neighbors and friends tend to be ill and pass away more than a typical "neighborhood".
Georgetown in general is a much more politically conservative place than its neighbor to the south -Austin.
We have some friends who rented in The Villages for a year and left happily. The frequent ambulances with red lights flashing at night, silently taking away the residents gave them the creeps.

Back
Top Bottom