Music that anesthetizes you - on hold or elevator music

target2019

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
This is the flip side of "Music that energizes you" thread. Let's say you are on hold with Intuit or Anthem or just about any company nowadays. You're on hold, you're frustrated. What music will settle you down?

Two versions of Meditation (Antonio Carlos Jobim).

instrumental: Laurindo Almeida - Meditation (Meditacáo) (Feat. The Bossa Nova All Stars)

with voice: Joanie Sommers & Laurindo Almeida - Meditation

Any other suggestions?

Any all strings orchestrated music. Gotta hear the percussion.

Sometimes I think the hold music and interruption message telling you" your call is important" is designed to be annoying so you will hang up and go away ;)

... You're on hold, you're frustrated. What music will settle you down?

Any other suggestions?

Yes, no music at all! Telephones have terrible fidelity, and they just make music sound bad. It is painful to me, just hurts my ears and brain. It's even worse now, since the digitizing of telephone signals use algorithms that favor voice, and music takes a back seat.

At MegaCorp, I actually heard demonstrations of various codecs with both spoken voice and music. And yes, the ones that presented voice most clearly made the music sound terrible. All warble-y and 'splashy'.

Maybe, maybe, maybe some sort of simple electronic music that was really generated to work with the phone codecs? Better to play a voice though, the news or something? Anything but music.

-ERD50

Last edited:
Anything labeled "chakras" or "meditation" music fits the bill. I listen to stuff like this everyday when I'm on the computer. I have the Soundscapes digital music channel on my Time Warner cable service. I keep the volume low, just enough to hear it. If I'm doing something that requires energy expenditure, I put on rock-n- roll or energetic classical symphony music.

:D

Here's an example....not sure how it would transmit over the telephone lines. :confused:

Last edited:
Anything labeled "chakras" or "meditation" music fits the bill. I listen to stuff like this everyday when I'm on the computer. I have the Soundscapes digital music channel on my Time Warner cable service. I keep the volume low, just enough to hear it. If I'm doing something that requires energy expenditure, I put on rock-n- roll or energetic classical symphony music.

:D

Here's an example....not sure how it would transmit over the telephone lines. :confused:
Uh-huh. That's great. You can cut me open now, doc.

Uh-huh. That's great. You can cut me open now, doc.
Did the fishies swimming around help ? :cool:

Compared to the noise of the office (or the world for that matter), that is very soothing stuff. When I w*rked, I would play the local classical station (WCNY) streaming live on my desktop, using compact headphones so only I could hear it.
People would come into my cube all stressed out about something or other, and see me sitting there with a huge grin on my face and my head bobbing gently along. I conducted with a pencil. :LOL:
My hair is jet black so they couldn't really see the headphones or connecting wire right away.
I wonder how many of my former co-w*rkers contemplated calling the men in white coats on me.

Last edited:
Did the fishies swimming around help ? :cool:

Compared to the noise of the office (or the world for that matter), that is very soothing stuff. When I w*rked, I would play the local classical station (WCNY) streaming live on my desktop, using compact headphones so only I could hear it.
People would come into my cube all stressed out about something or other, and see me sitting there with a huge grin on my face and my head bobbing gently along. I conducted with a pencil. :LOL:
My hair is jet black so they couldn't really see the headphones or connecting wire right away.
I wonder how many of my former co-w*rkers contemplated calling the men in white coats on me.
Had to bail on that after awhile. The sound quality was not that great.
So I called up my Spotify tab and found "chakras" -- has been playing for 4 hours and I am flying on my carpet listening to Native American flutes...
:biggrin:

What does it for me is instrumentals, quartet chamber, classical guitar, acheppello, jazz, Hearts of Space music and Eric Clapton, Jerry Lee Lewis, Springsteen, and too many other styles, genres, and artists to name.
I am taking classical guitar lessons and humming what I am working on carries me away.

The Ventures - Theme from a summer place
Ry Cooder - Theme from southern comfort
Dire Straits - Why worry
Keiko Matsui -Embrace and surrender
Mark Knopfler -A love idea
Deuter - Meadows and mystics
Eythor Thorlaksson - Camino de felantix
Apocalyptica - Beautiful
Mannheim Steamroller - Classical gas
Enya - Drifting

Last edited:
Back