Would You Pay for Your Child's Spring Break Experience?

Would You Pay For Your Child's Spring Break?

• Yes, I Did or Would Pay for My Child's Spring Break

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • No, If they Wanted To Go On Spring Break, They Paid.

Votes: 30 50.0%
  • Never had Kids

Votes: 19 31.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.3%

• Total voters

Silver

Full time employment: Posting here.
I live in Central Florida, and the onslaught of spring break partiers is news every year. Granted.....they bring in big bucks and contribute to our state economy generously.....no problem and we thank you.

But....the behavior of some of these young adults keeps getting more interesting every year. I am particularly amazed at the increasing reports of public drinking, public nudity and public sexual acts...both males and females. Law enforcement pretty much looks the other way until it gets really, really bad. It always seemed to be just a few kids making the news...but now we see entire crowds of kids flashing naked tops and bottoms. Just wondering who the parents are of these kids, and if they understand what really goes on, or do they believe 'my darling child would never act like that", and are paying for all this fun.

Just curious.....did you or would you pay for your child to go away for a spring break party time?

I never paid for my kids to go anywhere over Spring Break. If they wanted to go, they would have had to pay for it themselves. None ever did. In their early college years, they mostly took mini-sessions for a class at a local CC.

My two older kids told me of people on student loans spending a couple of thousand to go on Spring Break. Even when they were in college, they knew how stupid that was.

heck no

kinda pissed about spring break as it is - everyone on facebook throwing pics of grand targhee in my face whilst I w*rk - hate this time of year

My son is snowboarding in colorado on his spring break this week.

I paid for lodging and $200 for food.

My son works 3 jobs and is a full time college student. He is paying for his college so I don't mind paying for a snowboard trip.

I did see Hannity and Fox news were down in FL. reporting on the drugs and sex on the beach.

Just curious.....did you or would you pay for your child to go away for a spring break party time?

My son was an engineering co-op at a large state university. We had an understanding of how much I would contribute financially during his five years. After his freshman year, he pretty much managed his own finances with income from his co-op work and from my contributions (which were pretty substantial).

Near the end of his college time, he and his girlfriend (also an engineering co-op) were on campus for spring semester and decided to join friends from their respective fraternity and sorority on a cruise out of New Orleans.

DS had the money for the trip. I suppose I could have assumed that I had "over-contributed" to his finances if he had extra money to pay for a cruise and cut back on my future contributions. But, I didn't. I decided that since my original calculations regarding his co-op salary and my ability to help him determined the amount I kicked in, the fact that he held back on a pizza here, a six pack there until he had enough extra (about $800) for the cruise was OK with me.

They went. They had a ball. There were with a dozen or more close friends. The ship was not packed with students and therefore DS and girlfriend reported plenty of partying and good times but not to any extreme excess.

It's been 18 years since that trip. They're married, well employed, have three kids and still keep a couple of pics from that trip on the stairway wall of their paid-for house...... I'd say they created a fabulous memory they'll always have.

If DS had not accumulated the money for the trip himself and instead would have asked me for it in addition to my planned contributions, would I have given it to him? Hee.... hee.... a good question for me to think about. I'm not sure.......

Last edited:
I always had to work during spring break, and my son did the same. I had to pay for tuition and living expenses while in school. I did pay tuition for DS but he paid his living expenses.

Who else would be paying for it? If these kids were working their way through school they wouldn't have the time to take a week off for reveling.

DD did a couple Habitat for Humanity road trips during her Spring Breaks. I think we paid or at least contributed to the cost but I really don't recall.

Who else would be paying for it? If these kids were working their way through school they wouldn't have the time to take a week off for reveling.

And they would know better than to tread on your lawn!

For sure, could not be more accurate! I worked my way through school and the *last* thing I had money to do was blow it on spring break. I also had the job to work, if anything I tried to pick up additional hours during that week.

Funny related story to this. When I graduated and had my first real engineering job lined up, my manager asked if I wanted any time off between graduation and starting work. I told him i needed money more than I needed time off, so started work immediately on Mon after graduation ceremonies the prior Saturday. Tired of being a poor broke college student and ready to get on with my new life and career.

So I guess if I were in the parent position to pay for spring break I would be a definite no. Working my way through college tends to make me a hardass.

We did not pay for her spring break, she had to come up with the money for that on her own. She did, and looking back she felt it was a huge waste of money.

Life is not always about getting what you want-and there are lessons to be learned still at this age.

My son is snowboarding in colorado on his spring break this week.

I paid for lodging and $200 for food.

My son works 3 jobs and is a full time college student. He is paying for his college so I don't mind paying for a snowboard trip.

I did see Hannity and Fox news were down in FL. reporting on the drugs and sex on the beach.

What makes me the maddest about the reporting is they pander to my age demo under the guise that this is shocking what those college kids do. I wasnt born 50 years old.... Thank God they weren't reporting the shenanigans going on in my Frat house back in the early 80s.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I wouldn't pay for them to go but I think it's fine if they go if they can pay for it themselves. They work hard in college and deserve a week off as much as any working stiff. I was just down in Daytona Beach for work and at the end of my trip I went to the beach for a couple days at the beginning of spring break. They sure know how to have a good time. It made me feel old though when i'd walk past a group of 20-ish year olds and I could tell they were looking at me like "who's the old guy". I'm 35 and most people think I look younger but that's still old to them.

Probably not. At best, I'd be willing to pay half, but I doubt I'd do that if he was going somewhere to only party.

My SIL traded bikinis with another hottie on the beach in Fort Lauderdale about 45 years ago; she paid for her own trip but I don't believe ever paid for a beverage.

We paid for one trip, for DD when she was a senior and her full-time job "paid" us in an 85 percent tuition credit. She was not the spring breaker described in the media, and they were in Vegas which I don't think puts up with public shenanigans anyway? DS paid for his own trips as his jobs did not benefit us and I don't even want to know....

Pretty creepy imho that the media reports on this on location. Kids act up for the cameras, plus it makes it look like the cool thing to do.

I voted no kids, but that would be a really tough call for me. The kid should pay, but I wouldn't want my kid sleeping on a beach or in a car for a week...

I went to college in the late 60s early 70s. I (and none of my friends) never even thought of asking our parents for money to go on "vacation" from school. It's funny how attitudes morph over time.

Youngest son went to South Padre Island and then to Panama City Beach for his last two spring breaks. He didn't ask for any money and I certainly didn't offer (but I do pay tuition and living expenses). I think there was some pretty hard partying going on at both locations, but I didn't ask for details. This spring semester, he's working a required internship in Dallas, so he worked while his buds were partying in Cabo. I think he was kind of bummed out, but he will have one last shot next spring before he graduates.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I can't imagine my daughter even asking me. She got a set amount annually, enough to cover tuition, books, room and board at a good state university, any other costs she incurred were on her. She usually took extra shifts at Olive Garden during spring break.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom