Medigap for New Enrollees in 2020

MBSC

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
A lot of changes can be made over the next 5 years, but as of now those who become Medicare eligible in 2020 or later will not be able to choose a Medigap plan that covers the Medicare Part B deductible (currently $147).

Article prior to passage: Medigap Enrollment Among New Medicare Beneficiaries | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation

H.R. 2 includes a provision that would prohibit Medicare supplemental insurance (Medigap) policies from covering the Part B deductible for people who become eligible for Medicare on or after January 1, 2020. This provision is designed to make future Medigap purchasers more price-sensitive when it comes to medical care, which could lead to a reduction in the use of health services and Medicare spending.
Article stating the legislation has passed: FAQ: Congress Passes A Bill To Fix Medicare’s Doctor Payments. What’s In It? | Kaiser Health News

So in order to save money they are going to make people pay more to see a doctor? Seems like you would want people to see a doctor early to avoid bigger problems later.

Penny wise and pound foolish.

Actually since nearly everyone on medicare exceeds the 147 deductable it is built into the medigap premiums. (there is no such thing as a free lunch). Medigap premiums should rise $12 less per month because of this. Its just like on my megacorp health plan the difference in premiums between the 300 and 600 deductable is paid for in the higher monthly premium.

My wife has a first-dollar Medigap policy. If this law applied to her (Yes, I know it's only for new enrollees), I can't imagine that it would change her behavior.

Of course, there are people with a lot less income than us. I don't know how many of them buy first-dollar Medigap policies.

Medicare deductibles are so low compared to commercial policies it makes me chuckle. Might was well be considered a first dollar policy even with the deductible.

-gauss

Medicare deductibles are so low compared to commercial policies it makes me chuckle. Might was well be considered a first dollar policy even with the deductible.

-gauss

Yes, but typical deductibles on commercial policies have shot up dramatically over the past few years. No real reason Medicare deductibles might not do the same as the overall MC budget continues to [-]rise[/-] explode.

Yes, but typical deductibles on commercial policies have shot up dramatically over the past few years. No real reason Medicare deductibles might not do the same as the overall MC budget continues to [-]rise[/-] explode.

The 147 is the part B deductable. Part A (the hospital part has a 1146 or so deductable). Part D plans also have deductables.

Back
Top Bottom