Travel choices

explanade

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I need a few thousand more miles to achieve the status I'm targeting on United's frequent flyer program.

So I figure I'll fly to the East Coast (from the Bay Area).

Been to NYC several times so I look at flights to Boston for July. About $400-500, not bad.

Then I looked at hotels. They're about $300 a night before 14.5% hotel tax.

Meanwhile, if I fly to Europe, the plane ticket would be about $1000 more but the hotels are less than half the price. This would be in northern Spain.

So over the course of a week, it's a wash.

If I did choose to go to Europe, I'd probably extend it to about 10-11 days though.

Seems like Boston hotels are able to command almost Manhattan hotel prices, as well as the high taxes.

Is Boston worth it? Would mainly just walk around, look for scenery around the downtown.

Check airbnb, might be better rates.

Also check other east coast cities for hotel rates. DC is fun and seems to have cheaper options IIRC (sub-$200?).

Or Montreal. We visited last summer, stayed in a cool but small 2 BR apartment in a funky little area (Plateau neighborhood) not far from downtown. We found the apartment through airbnb and when I looked recently rates were even better this year (CAD is about 10-15% cheaper vs the USD this year vs last year). Summer weather in Montreal is freaking amazing compared to much of the rest of the US (though maybe similar to Bay area temps).

Though Spain sounds nice too. And southern Spain is even cheaper than northern Spain.

Try Hotwire or Priceline . I go to Boston a lot and have never paid $400 or close to it for Back Bay Boston.

OK, I was checking the Downtown area, near Faneuil.

Will check others. Montreal is interesting.

Been to Southern Spain.

Is Boston worth it? Would mainly just walk around, look for scenery around the downtown.
Are you interested in colonial history?

I spent 6 years there, and didn't feel tired of Boston, but then I am a slow learner.

Ha

I've got to where I don't enjoy big cities when they're that expensive.

Fly into Boston, rent a car and head north. The maritimes of Maine are really nice in the Summer.

We stayed inexpensively in a bed and breakfast in Camden, ME last Summer, and it was a glorious place.

I'd like to look at colonial buildings from the outside, not so much colonial museums and such.

Actually, are there worthwhile day trips which can be reached without renting a car?

That would determine how long I'd stay too, I guess.

Driving yourself around Boston - that can get pretty exciting! You have to be a pretty confident driver. The other drivers are pretty aggressive.

It's a beautiful city and harbor.

Philadelphia is another good choice for colonial history and cool downtown area. We stayed at a Four Pts by Sheraton in the northern burbs and it was under $100/nt (though we stayed for free using points). We had a car and 3 kids, so getting to downtown and around it wasn't a problem at all.

I recall downtown hotels weren't anywhere near NYC/Boston levels when I was looking.

Boston is a great city, but I would not limit myself to just the city for a full week. I lived in the area until graduating college in '78, so here are a few ideas from a former Bostonian:
In the city -
- take a harbor cruise, or even better take the water taxi to the various harbor islands. This can easily fill a whole day
- Freedom Trail (walking tour), a nice way to see the city and the history at the same time. Guided tours are offered, I think, but I would do it your self, at your own pace.
- Spend the day walking around Boston Common
- Fenway Park, if the Sox are in town
- Cambridge/ Harvard Square
- Tour Old Ironsides (I think this is still there)
South of Boston (need a rental car)
- Plimouth Plantation
- Cape Cod: drive all the way to P'Town, or go to Woods Hole and take a ferry to Martha's Vineyard (you can take a car across, but I recommend just renting bikes on the island).
- Cape Cod national Seashore.
North of Boston -
- Rockport
- Marblehead
- And as previously recommended, head north to Maine.

As far as where to stay; I am guessing that July is probably the most expensive time to stay in downtown Boston. I would rent a car and stay outside the city, but fairly close to a commuter parking garage. Go downtown on the MBTA and avoid the hassle and expense of driving and parking in the city.

Have fun!

I checked booking.com all the way through December. IIRC, prices don't drop significantly until December.

Renting a car would wipe out whatever savings there would be by staying outside of the city.

I think I'm leaning more towards Europe. Boston sounds great but Europe is also appealing in other ways.

driving yourself around boston - that can get pretty exciting! You have to be a pretty confident driver. The other drivers are pretty aggressive.

It's a beautiful city and harbor.

+1

🐑

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom