Any suggestions for stuff to do at or near Colonial Williamsburg?

Mo Money

Recycles dryer sheets
The SO and I are going to The Williamsburg Inn soon for a short vacation to celebrate ER. We will have a pass to the stuff within the historic village area, and we aren't big on amusement parks nearby. But other than that, we are open to any suggestions about venues to tour or see, or restaurants at which to dine. Any suggestions?

It's been many years since I was in Williamsburg, but the last time I was there I really enjoyed a tour of the Governor's Palace, which included some lovely gardens.

If you're into the historical stuff, Jamestown and Yorktown are nearby. The glassworks at Jamestown is pretty neat. The food at the inn is good, and there's always the taverns (Chowning's and The Kings Arms are my favorites). Did the Ghost tour once, that was fun. Other than that, you can always wander through William and Mary, and there's a winery there, although that's not my thing.

Just visited there last weekend Jamestown and Yorktown are interesting. You can drive the Colonial Parkway between the two. We ate at two places that were rated well on TripAdvisor. Second Street and The Whaling Company and both were good. YMMV.

The Trellis Bar & Grille - Merchant's Square - had some creative menu selections, as I recall.

Kindest regards.

I have been there several times, and I always enjoy the visitors center. There is a film about 20-30 minutes that highlights the history of the area.

The glassblower at Jamestown has always been a favorite.

Williamsburg Winery has a nice tasting tour if you like that sort of thing (which I do).

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

If you're into the historical stuff, Jamestown and Yorktown are nearby. The glassworks at Jamestown is pretty neat. The food at the inn is good, and there's always the taverns (Chowning's and The Kings Arms are my favorites). Did the Ghost tour once, that was fun. Other than that, you can always wander through William and Mary, and there's a winery there, although that's not my thing.

I haven't been there since 1976, 39 years ago. Some of the ideas you list are the ones I remember best and most fondly, although I skipped the taverns, winery, and Ghost tour. I remember walking through a very old church graveyard at Jamestown that had a huge impact on me. I also remember the regular displays at Williamsburg, where they showed us how people lived back then and how they cooked and so on.

To me, it's all about history and that area is just full of history. So, I'd suggest reading the history of that area before you even go! It will mean so much more to you if you do, IMO.

I thought the Jamestown settlement (run by NPS) was more interesting than Yorktown. I've not been to Colonial Jamestown, though that looks interesting.
"Sal's By Victor" is a very good Italian restaurant that is popular with the locals. Great food.

I would recommend the Abby Aldrich Rockefeller Folk Art Museum. It is air-conditioned, too, not an insignificant bonus when it is hot and muggy.

Don't go in summer ...wait till kids are back in school.

In the local area, I would, well ...probably just say no.

I might consider a day in Wburg, then a couple of days in Washington, DC. Hit Kennedy Center, tour the House and Senate ...WWII and Vietnam Memorials, museums of whatever kind you like ...lots of good restaurants.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Definitely do the local tour of historic houses. On our tour, we got caught in a rain shower and huddled on someone's generous-sized porch. The owner came to the door and invited the tour group into the house (which was definitely NOT on the tour.) The tour leader didn't want us to go in, but of course, we all did.

On that trip (30+ years ago now) we also hit Mt. Vernon, a brewery (forget which one but it was a major brewer), a local theme park. As always, Google is your friend. I agree about waiting until fall - but only because summer is hot and humid in Williamsburg. YMMV

I forgot to mention Mt Vernon ...and, TJ's place (Monticello) near Charlottesville.

Luray Caverns is further but interesting.

Requires some scheduling, but there is a very cool bluegrass venue and series (Song of the Mountains) in a small town called Marion (Virginia). Haven't been but the broadcasts are pretty outstanding.

Yes, Mt Vernon and the James River Plantations. The Plantations are more do it yourself and I like that. You need to read up on line as to the ones you may be interested in.

We enjoyed the Newport News Naval Base tour and the Mariner's Museum. Beaches aren't bad either. Great Dismal Swamp good too.

Back
Top Bottom