I Owed AT&T 10 cents!

mickeyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering C
Last month my AT&T bill was 10 cents. Yes you read it correctly. This was due to a series of credits and adjustments that were done on my account.

Normally (for the last 10 years or so) AT&T has debited my Discover card for the account total and it was done. This month's bill included a $5.00 late payment charge (for the 10 cents due?)

After calling the CSR @ AT&T, I was given a credit for $5.00 due to" computer error" (failed to charge my CC for 10 cents). The CSR speculated that ATT did not charge my account last month due to the expense of collecting such a small amount due.

Gotta watch these guys!:mad:

Last edited:
My last Visa CC bill was 43 cents. Paid it online since it didn't make much sense to mail a check.

My last Visa CC bill was 43 cents. Paid it online since it didn't make much sense to mail a check.

When does it ever make sense to mail a check (assuming that is not the only option of course)?

-ERD50

My all time favorite was many years ago when I bought some auto parts from J.C. Whitney. As a result of substituting a couple of items, I got an invoice for $0.00 which I laughed at.

Got the same invoice every month for 3 or 4 months, raising my eyebrows a little more each time. Each one included a box with $0.00 interest added to the original $0.00 amount.

Finally they sent me a letter saying they were going to turn the unpaid bill over to a collection agency. I mailed them a check for $0.00 and it finally stopped.

My all time favorite was many years ago when I bought some auto parts from J.C. Whitney. As a result of substituting a couple of items, I got an invoice for $0.00 which I laughed at.

Got the same invoice every month for 3 or 4 months, raising my eyebrows a little more each time. Each one included a box with $0.00 interest added to the original $0.00 amount.

Finally they sent me a letter saying they were going to turn the unpaid bill over to a collection agency. I mailed them a check for $0.00 and it finally stopped.

You're easy. I would have negotiated with them to settle for 40 cents on the dollar! :LOL:

-ERD50

When does it ever make sense to mail a check (assuming that is not the only option of course)?

-ERD50
I used to think so. Not anymore.

I accidentally wrote a check for $23.00 to my credit card company, instead of the $23.10 that the bill was. I failed to make the minimum payment that month and got dinged with a charge.

Short story: I went to on-line payment of the full bill each month and have been happy with that choice.

Credit Card Processing companies charge a transaction fee (usually $0.10 to $0.25 per transaction) + interchange fees (1.5% to 3.0+% of the amount charged).

AT&T would have ended up spending more than 10 cents if they had billed your credit card for 10 cents, that's probably the reason they didn't bill it.

-ERD50

Here is one case: My COBRA insurance service charges a $7.95 "convenience fee" for any way of paying except for a personal check (even using my bank's fre bill-paying service triggers this fee). Moreover, they are so terrible at timely crediting the account that having the image of the cancelled check to threaten them with is extremely important.

Here is one case: My COBRA insurance service charges a $7.95 "convenience fee" for any way of paying except for a personal check (even using my bank's fre bill-paying service triggers this fee). Moreover, they are so terrible at timely crediting the account that having the image of the cancelled check to threaten them with is extremely important.

Right, I should have added a second caveat on fees.

So far, the occasional fees I've seen have mostly been less than the cash back reward rate of my cards, or maybe less after factoring in a stamp.

And in general, I get better documentation by paying with the card (shows up on statement instantly, no worries about loss in the mail). But if those don't apply, I guess a check is the thing to do.

I'm wondering when the term 'checking account' will be as old fashioned as saying 'dial this number'?

-ERD50

-ERD50

I haven't written a paper check in many years. No cash either, pay with CC or electronic bill pay. I haven't run into one that charges for echeck payments.

I see crazy things with my mothers accounts, mostly medical bill leftovers after insurance has paid, almost always less than $5. Every time I pay one those I think this is crazy, they have to be losing money processing this bill.

I haven't written a paper check in many years. No cash either, pay with CC or electronic bill pay. I haven't run into one that charges for echeck payments.

The water & sewer service here charges a $2 fee if paid online, nothing if I write a check. Isn't moving electrons cheaper than moving paper? Go figure.

I still pay most stuff by check because I don't want to put myself in a position where I can't pay bills if/when the computer dies. And that never happens at a good time. Also, I like having a paper trail. It has come in handy a few times to have the canceled check to wave at them.

And just for the heck of it. Because I want to.

Back
Top Bottom