Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community (http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/)
-   FIRE and Money (http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f28/)
-   -   Looking at a rental house, that had a death occur (http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f28/looking-at-a-rental-house-that-had-a-death-occur-77675.html)

Lakewood90712 06-15-2015 01:25 PM

Looking at a rental house, that had a death occur

I am looking at rental houses to buy as an investment. One had a death occur, inside, and as such in CA , it must be disclosed to a prospective buyer for 3 years after the death. I believe it must also be disclosed to a prospective tenant, for the same 3 year time frame.

Wouldn't bother me, but might a tenant. Take the risk of being harder to find a tenant , or lower rent ?

In Hollywood, if a celebrity dies in a house , it's considered a "feature", this place doesn't qualify.

aja8888 06-15-2015 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakewood90712 (Post 1604547)
I am looking at rental houses to buy as an investment. One had a death occur, inside, and as such in CA , it must be disclosed to a prospective buyer for 3 years after the death. I believe it must also be disclosed to a prospective tenant, for the same 3 year time frame.

Wouldn't bother me, but might a tenant. Take the risk of being harder to find a tenant , or lower rent ?

In Hollywood, if a celebrity dies in a house , it's considered a "feature", this place doesn't qualify.

You generally don't pick your place to die, and I'd believe a lot of people die at home. Three in my family have in the last several years. I don't think it's a show stopper.

Actually, my next door neighbor (older widow) was found dead in her home last Christmas day. The house sold with no issue.

Meadbh 06-15-2015 01:29 PM

If it was natural causes, no problem. If it was a murder, that's another story!

TrvlBug 06-15-2015 01:31 PM

My mom died at home and we sold the house w/in the year in the late 90s (SF Bay Area). Multiple offers. A violent death might be different, but then again, it would depend on the housing market in your area.

calmloki 06-15-2015 01:45 PM

Currently living in the house our long time neighbor died in. Have had several deaths in rental apartments - a suicide by gunshot and an "accidental" death by gunshot. We disclosed, though not required to in Oregon. Neither have been any problem to get rented, though we did do new paint and carpet. Main issue with the rentals was dealing with it personally.

Walt34 06-15-2015 04:24 PM

Well, unless it was caused by a poltergeist....

Otherwise, no problem.

travelover 06-15-2015 04:35 PM

Most people die, eventually.

ejman 06-15-2015 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by travelover (Post 1604627)

Interesting. If you are aware of any that don't would you mind sharing some of the particulars? ;D

marko 06-15-2015 04:56 PM

I ain't 'fraid of no ghosts....

WhoDaresWins 06-15-2015 05:02 PM

It wouldn't bother me provided it wasn't a murder. That would bother me and I would not rent the house nor would I buy it.

38Chevy454 06-15-2015 05:03 PM

Quote:

I would like to be one of the exceptions to that! However odds are I am in the majority.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

heeyy_joe 06-15-2015 05:09 PM

If it becomes haunted, maybe you could charge the heirs of the deceased rent. Check Ca law, this house could be a goldmine!

unno2002 06-15-2015 05:32 PM

Awhile back, we put an offer, did inspections, etc. on a decent prospective rental, and during the process found that the son of the owner, while the son was living in the house, murdered a young girl.Maybe it's just us, but we found a reason to drop the deal.

ExFlyBoy5 06-15-2015 09:12 PM

We had a house a few miles away that a man was violently murdered. The perp is still at large, no motive was ever disclosed and the house backs up to a cemetery. When it finally hit the market (about 6 months after the murder) it had 7 offers and was under contract the same day. It sure didn't seem to dissuade any buyers!

It's sad to drive by there around Christmas as he always had a great display but that has been absent the last couple of years.

MRG 06-15-2015 09:27 PM

We bought a place to later learn the original owner was killed in an accident mowing around one of the ponds. Later we found out his ashes had been scattered around the property. Really didn't bother us. When I realized the Ford 8N we had bought with the property had at some point been rolled, it all clicked. I was operating the same machine the fellow died on mowing around the same ponds.

I still would have bought the place.

The 8N did get a "third brake" installed to prevent the brush hog powering the tractor when the clutch was disengaged; probably the cause of his death.

tryan 06-16-2015 11:13 AM

Had a multi family in the hood that had 4 unrelated deaths in it over 13 years. The worst was a hanging and shooting.

People have short memories. The only vacancies caused by the deaths were the deaths themselves ... no reputations/karma issues.

Car-Guy 06-16-2015 01:39 PM

Quote:

If that's the case, I guess I should consider increasing my annual WR. :)

easysurfer 06-17-2015 06:48 AM

But the question is, are there a lot of unusual cold spots in the house? :laugh:

I bet someone dying in the house naturally isn't that uncommon as if given a choice, most prefer to die at home than at the hospital or a nursing home.

DFW_M5 06-17-2015 07:01 AM

This must be a California thing:facepalm:

Terryjm51 06-17-2015 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MRG (Post 1604712)
We bought a place to later learn the original owner was killed in an accident mowing around one of the ponds. Later we found out his ashes had been scattered around the property. Really didn't bother us. When I realized the Ford 8N we had bought with the property had at some point been rolled, it all clicked. I was operating the same machine the fellow died on mowing around the same ponds.

I still would have bought the place.

The 8N did get a "third brake" installed to prevent the brush hog powering the tractor when the clutch was disengaged; probably the cause of his death.

I had a tractor just like that growning up. When the clutch was pushed in with the brakes the brush hog would continue to push the tractor. I got to the point you had to time your stopping distance . Even as a teen I thought it was a little unsafe.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum