Condolences to SC shooting victims ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

robnplunder

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
My condolences to SC shooting victims.

I don't understand why these things happen. So much hatred for no good reasons.

+1

Just sad. Makes me shake my head and wonder.

People aren't as evolved as a species as we want to believe.

Consider the claims in the book, “The Sociopath Next Door”, by Martha Stout, such as:

“…4 percent of ordinary people—one in twenty-five—has an often undetected mental disorder, the chief symptom of which is that that person possesses no conscience. He or she has no ability whatsoever to feel shame, guilt, or remorse. One in twenty-five everyday Americans, therefore, is secretly a sociopath…”

4% is a HUGE number. Not saying that is inaccurate but scary huge.

Sometimes I watch a crime show like "Criminal Minds" and think, no way those crimes happen, then something like SC or Newtown or the theater shooting proves otherwise.

A head shaker for sure. I don't understand how a young person can harbor so much hatred to do something so heinous.

Consider the claims in the book, “The Sociopath Next Door”, by Martha Stout, such as:

“…4 percent of ordinary people—one in twenty-five—has an often undetected mental disorder, the chief symptom of which is that that person possesses no conscience. He or she has no ability whatsoever to feel shame, guilt, or remorse. One in twenty-five everyday Americans, therefore, is secretly a sociopath…”

I managed employees for a long time in Megacrop. I'd say about 1 out of 20 has some kind of personality disorder but I wouldn't categorize all of them as sociopath. They are all over the map: narcissist, obsessive, ... Those personality disorder can be hidden and controlled for a short period but they eventually come out.

4% is a HUGE number. Not saying that is inaccurate but scary huge.

Sometimes I watch a crime show like "Criminal Minds" and think, no way those crimes happen, then something like SC or Newtown or the theater shooting proves otherwise.
That's (unnecessarily) "provocative" since "4%" obviously doesn't correlate directly with what happened in SC and similar other events.

Not all sociopaths are potential mass murderers (as Stout has stated BTW), and not all mass murderers are sociopaths.

Note: Other mental health experts put the percentage of sociopaths at 1-3% of the population.

Last edited:
Thank you for the kindness, rob and others.

Our city is a resilient one, and I truly hope that this horrible act of terrorism will bring about some much needed change in our state, and in our perceptions on race and bigotry. The radicalization of this man didn't happen overnight.

Mother Emmanuel AME is a symbol in this city of Black agency and was targeted because of that. Senator Pinckney was a well-respected and powerful advocate for the rights and freedoms we all believe in. This is a tragic time for Charleston, but there are so many whose love and belief in the brotherhood of man will overcome the hatred espoused by this man.

The courage and conviction shown by these families as they grieve, their desire to show love and forgiveness, despite their losses, is humbling.

There is much to do, and say, but this forum, dedicated to early retirement, is not the place for such. Better to have these conversations with your neighbors, your children, and anyone else whose heart can be touched by the elimination of "other" from our lexicon of brotherhood.

Again, thank you on behalf of our community.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom