529 plans

Brat

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Several years ago we set aside $ in WA 529 plan for our grandchildren, the eldest of which is 7 yo. The plan is designed to purchase credit units that are redeemed at current value in WA universities when the child enters college. After years of rapidly increasing tuition WA has decided to reduce tuition. The plan administrators are evaluating what, if any, adjustments they should make.

Since enrolling in that plan we moved to OR which has a 529 of it's own which is investment based - quality (from what I can tell) middling.

1) Can one roll-over money from one 529 to another?
2) Who has the best 529 that we could move to should we choose to leave the WA program.

Nevada has an interesting Vanguard 529 plan.

The reasons for picking an in -state plan is that *some* states give you a tax break on contributions. Others allow you to pre-pay the full ride at college in today's dollars. Those would be good reasons to choose an in state plan.

California (my state) offers none of this - so I have the Utah Vanguard plan for my kids. The funds offered by the CA plan were laden with fees and underperformed.

There should be no issue rolling a 529 over to a new 529 plan - just like an IRA or 401k to IRA, you need to make sure it's done correctly to keep the tax advantaged status.

Back
Top Bottom