Your Biggest Individual Stock Holding & Why ?

ownyourfuture

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
This is a 'taxable' brokerage account.
My biggest holding is Johnson & Johnson. 12.00% of the total

I bought my 1st 100 shares in 2002, reinvested dividends & bought small lots when I figured it was oversold.

I now have 605 shares. About one year ago, when JNJ was around 110$
I began taking the dividends in cash. Thought it was overvalued + the fact that I knew I was going to retire in June 2015 & would need the income.

JNJ hasn't exactly been a steller performer over the last 10 years, but the fact that they've raised the dividend every year for 53 years is very comforting to me.

What's your biggest holding ?

Berkshire Hathaway. I bought it for the generous dividends.

Apple 8%. I bought it (just last year) because I think it still has excellent growth potential. It also has a growing dividend that isn't at risk of dropping given they have a larger cash reserve than any other company.

A large Canadian bank that I used to work for. Acquired shares through option exercises and low cost loans. Much too big a part of my portfolio but total return over the last 18 years has been about 12.5% CAGR. Over time my plan is to continue to diversify more but the tax hit will be significant.

Apple 8%. I bought it (just last year) because I think it still has excellent growth potential. It also has a growing dividend that isn't at risk of dropping given they have a larger cash reserve than any other company.

I also own Apple, although it's far less than 8% of total.
Agree with all points you made.

For whatever reason, wall street has never given aapl a multiple as high as other tech companies.

Some insist it's just a 'gadget company'

A large Canadian bank that I used to work for. Acquired shares through option exercises and low cost loans. Much too big a part of my portfolio but total return over the last 18 years has been about 12.5% CAGR. Over time my plan is to continue to diversify more but the tax hit will be significant.

You've done extremely well.
Congrats

Mine is Gilead. I didn't get in early, but I did purchase chunks in the high $60s.

Even at $117 it is cheap, with PE approaching 10. Pays a small dividend now too.

MO, about 6%. Didn't realize it was that much, I may take a little gain.

Mine is Gilead. I didn't get in early, but I did purchase chunks in the high $60s.

Even at $117 it is cheap, with PE approaching 10. Pays a small dividend now too.

I recently purchased my 1st 100 shares @ about the 117$ you mentioned, for all the reasons you mentioned.

I recently purchased my 1st 100 shares @ about the 117$ you mentioned, for all the reasons you mentioned.

Gilead's main problem is they are only growing at 30% or so with just a few billion a quarter in profit. They need more debt and negative earnings so they can be rewarded with a fast food type PE.

Your Biggest Individual Stock Holding & Why ?

Apple. Because Apple!

Well, really because I knew I wanted to buy it back in 2002 when I heard about the iPod and thought, "this will change everything", but didn't have means. I waited until 2008 and again 2011 when I thought it was undervalued, and it turns out I was right so far.

I'm an Apple guy. Apple stuff everywhere, and the old adage goes "buy what you are." That said, it's somewhere around 2% of total holdings, not including what's accounted for in Total Market Index funds.

Gilead's main problem is they are only growing at 30% or so with just a few billion a quarter in profit. They need more debt and negative earnings so they can be rewarded with a fast food type PE.

Very good :LOL:

BHP Billiton Ltd ADR, 4.72 %
I used to own PetroHawk, so when BHP acquired them, I decided to stay involved. I have since added more shares in BHP in small lots.
Taking a bit of a recent beating, but holding it long term.

Most of my portfolio is in mutual funds. I've been playing with a very few individual stocks (BHP, CELG, DDD) since I FIREd.

Biggest Individual Holding: CVS Health Corp. - Bought several thousand shares at $36.08 a share in 2011, up 210% since then.
Biggest Sector Holding: Energy (Midstream MLP's mainly) - well, we all know how thats doing...

Last edited:
Over the last several months, I have been scaling back on individual stocks and buying index etf's for better diversification. But still own 7 stocks with CVX being my largest individual holding. CVX has hurt my overall performance obviously, but going to ride it out. At some point I want my individual stocks to be no more than 5% of my portfolio(11% now).

Apple Inc. AAPL 3.94%

Because that is how much SPY holds (times my ~ 75/25 AA)

-ERD50

VTSAX - Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund Admiral Shares

~24% of total retirement kitty

I long ago decided that to do individual stocks right would be way too time-consuming (reading 10-K's, research reports, etc.) so I'm an avowed indexer.

Parker Hannifin 14% Good diversified industrial. JNJ is second runner up.

I was going to say AMZN was my biggest holding (200 shares bought at $130 a share about 5 or 6 years ago, and I thought I was coming late to the party at that). I bought it because I observed that so many people I know used it for purchases. Well, when I logged into Schwab I discovered I had 549 shares of LFC (China Life)...w-h-a-t??!!! I see there was a 3 for one split back in May or thereabouts. I haven't been keeping an eye on my finances at all due to an ill family member commanding my attention. I bought 100 shares of LFC about 10 years ago on the advice of a friend who knows even less about the stock market than I do but she read somewhere that the Chinese were just starting to buy life insurance.

VFC bought 250 shares back in 2010 for the 3 per cent dividend (spend them) and has stayed as a holding since now split 4:1 so have 1000 shares and getting more than twice the original amount in dividends.

Continues to be a solid holding and decent value even after more than tripling in value in 5 years. Dividends continue to grow at 5 times the inflation rate, is a 2 in timeliness and safety with Value Line and a A/80/100/95 in the stats I utilize to eliminate stocks.

About 2,000 shares combined of my local utility companies preferred stock is by far my biggest issue. The why part? I like income through high paying safe dividends yielding around 6.5% and above. And I want mine before the "commoners" get theirs. Only common stocks I own are in my Total Stock Index. The monkey with a dart always beat me so I threw in the towel on buying common stocks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom