Wedding Gift for Older Couple Who Has Everything?

truenorth418

Full time employment: Posting here.
My brother has just announced he is going to get married to his girlfriend of 3 years. It is the second marriage for both of them. She is a widow, while my brother is divorced. The two of them are in their late 50s and have recently moved in together, combining their two households. Also, our father passed away recently, and my brother took possession of some of our Dad’s furniture and nick-nacks.

In short, these are people who have everything they need and more.

I would like to get them something special and unique as a wedding gift, but I am at a complete loss as they will not have a registry or anything of that nature. I was thinking of some travel-related gift certificate, and while they would probably appreciate that, I imagine everyone else will be thinking along the same lines.

Can anyone please help me with any appropriate and unique gift ideas? I am really stumped.

If they have so much stuff, they will need to maintain it. I myself would be able to use a gift card to Home Depot or Lowe's.

Last edited:
Do they drink wine? If so a very special bottle(s). Some nice wine clubs that you can prepay as well. For people that have everything, I think luxury consumables are the way to go.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Do they drink wine? If so a very special bottle(s). Some nice wine clubs that you can prepay as well. For people that have everything, I think luxury consumables are the way to go.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
I was just shopping for Mr B's birthday and had a similar dilemma. I went to Amazon and looked at the whatever-of-the-month programs, "whatever" being fruit or cheese or cookies or candies that are auto-shipped every month.
Very pricey, so those may exceed your budget for the gift.
The combined gift basket deals are no deal at all for what you get.

I ended up ordering 6 lbs of pre-formed frozen cookie dough for Mr B's upcoming birthday. He adores soft baked chocolate chip cookies. Whenever he has an urge, he or I will be able to go to the freezer, pull some out and bake them immediately. :D
Product link : http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000UV6WJM?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

Last edited:
Do you know if they intend to designate a charity? Many of the people I know who marry after they have a fully stocked house pick a charity that is meaningful to them to receive donations in lieu of wedding presents.

....I ended up ordering 6 lbs of pre-formed frozen cookie dough for Mr B's upcoming birthday. He adores soft baked chocolate chip cookies. Whenever he has an urge, he or I will be able to go to the freezer, pull some out and bake them immediately. :D
Product link : http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000UV6WJM?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

I love soft baked chocolate chip cookies too.. but $43 for 96 cookies seems a bit much. Am I misreading that link?

Last edited:
Gift card (or cards) to a one or more nice restaurants. Everybody has to eat.

I love soft baked chocolate chip cookies too.. but $43 for 96 cookies seems a bit much. Am I misreading that link?
96 cookies at 1 ounce each...6 lbs of cookie dough, pre-formed and ready to pop in the oven. Shipping cost included.

Yes, expensive. Yes, Mr B deserves them.
BONUS: I don't have to make them from scratch. :dance:

We gave DD and SIL a "seasonal beer" subscription. Every 3 months they get a selection of beers that somehow are related to the time of year. They love it. There were also "beer of the month" possibilities, but we felt that interval would dilute the enjoyment. Too much of a good thing.

Do they enjoy classical music? If so, consider a subscription to the symphony. Are they sports fans? Consider a subscription to football, baseball, or hockey tickets, whatever sport they follow. Or you could get the, a couples spa package if that's something they might enjoy.

When material needs are met, experiences are more valued than more stuff.

Fruitcake. Everyone loves fruitcake.

Give him one free visit to a divorce plaintiff's attorney, and one free visit to a psychiatrist.

Ha

A charitable contribution to a charity they support.

Sponsor the planting of a tree in a local park in honour of their wedding? Or buy a tree for them to plant in their yard? Are they going on a honeymoon? Then a gift of euros or pounds or pesos would be welcome, I'm sure. Lots of charities have gimmicks that can make the gift more real - a goat that a family can use for milk, for example, or chickens so the can sell eggs, or building so many yards of a hikikng trail....

A silver photo frame for the new couple and a check they can use for the honeymoon or whatever they want--they can choose to donate it to their own favorite charity if they like.

Maybe ask your brother first if there's something they want the guests to do.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom