Poll: Who Do You Trust Most With Your Online Identity/Data?

Who You Trust Most With Your Online Identity/Data?

• Amazon

Votes: 28 52.8%
  • Apple

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • FaceBook

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Google

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Microsoft

Votes: 7 13.2%

• Total voters

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Seems timely, though this is a niche audience. And not including "Other" was deliberate.

Though 'trust least' might have been the better approach...

Last edited:
Next scene...

Amazon--unlike the case with google, I am not only their product, I also am a customer.

I am not [knowingly] active with the other three online.

No one, is my vote also. Maybe the poll should include some of the brokerage houses as well.

Probably an oversight but you left "Ashley Madison" off the list.

I picked Amazon, since I don't own any Apple products. Thus, Apple is n/a for me. I find Amazon's recommendations based on my prior purchases and searches helpful.

The way Facebook and Google harvests user information to me feels like an invasion at best, creepy at worse. Microsoft's [-] stalking [/-] lack of privacy approch to Windows 10 makes we think about Win 7 as my last OS with them. But that may be easier said than done so I may end up getting assimilated with them eventually. :facepalm:

I have no identity, so I didn't vote.

I think Amazon has the most to lose as a result of a data breach. MS is perceived as a necessity by many, and the harvesting of information by the others is well publicized although I don't doubt that Amazon collects all they can too.

I think Amazon has the most to lose as a result of a data breach. MS is perceived as a necessity by many, and the harvesting of information by the others is well publicized although I don't doubt that Amazon collects all they can too.

Agree.

I vote "none of the above"

In 2012 I noticed some purchases against our Amazon.com account that we hadn't made. When I contacted them and talked to an Amazon fraud officer he confirmed that the purchases on our credit card had been made by a new account. He asked me if I knew anyone called "Louise" and when I said no, I asked how someone other than the person named on the credit card can charge to it from their account. He told me that it is not unusual for folks to loan their credit card to friends and family so they allow it, and even though that card is in their system registered to another Amazon member their security procedures do not even contact that member to get their permission or even inform them.

I do not trust any of the ones listed, although I have only had issues with Amazon.

I don't trust any of them.

And what are you going to do with this information? Hmmmm?

-ERD50

Another note for "None of the Above". Perhaps the poll should have been have worded as who do we "trust the least".

For disclosure purposes the only selection on the poll I have never used in some manner is Facebook.

I've used them all but I don't trust any of them... So I didn't vote.

I would have to agree I can't vote because I don't really trust any of them. However, if I had to rank them, I'd probably have Amazon and Apple near the top and Facebook at the bottom with the other two in the middle. But I have to admit I don't really have a good reason for that ranking...

I would have to agree I can't vote because I don't really trust any of them. However, if I had to rank them, I'd probably have Amazon and Apple near the top and Facebook at the bottom with the other two in the middle. But I have to admit I don't really have a good reason for that ranking...

Maybe because that's exactly the way the few people who have voted see it.

Another "no vote" here. And you can throw the U.S. gov't in there, and I still couldn't vote.

I don't know what online ID means. All of those sites have my logon ID but none of them have any financial information. If I end up receiving emails, it ends up in my junk folder. Once in a while it is a confirmation of purchase.

I don't know what online ID means. All of those sites have my logon ID but none of them have any financial information. If I end up receiving emails, it ends up in my junk folder. Once in a while it is a confirmation of purchase.
All of them engage in data mining, that's what I was getting at. They're all defaulting to gathering data without asking (whether you "join" or not) and making it ever harder to prevent all the time. Used to be most bundled the info they used/sold, but more and more it's becoming individual data. Brave new world...

IIf I end up receiving emails, it ends up in my junk folder.

Ditto....anything unsolicited, e-mails/phone calls*, etc, are either trashed, or in the case of calls, responded to in a mildly abusive manner. ;)

(*Our phone, even after relocating from Ottawa, is still listed in DWs previous name...at the first mention of that name by callers we hang up.)

I only have credit cards stored with Amazon, not because of choice but necessity, convenience.

For Apple, you can load gift cards into your Apple account.

In 2012 I noticed some purchases against our Amazon.com account that we hadn't made. When I contacted them and talked to an Amazon fraud officer he confirmed that the purchases on our credit card had been made by a new account. He asked me if I knew anyone called "Louise" and when I said no, I asked how someone other than the person named on the credit card can charge to it from their account. He told me that it is not unusual for folks to loan their credit card to friends and family so they allow it, and even though that card is in their system registered to another Amazon member their security procedures do not even contact that member to get their permission or even inform them.

I do not trust any of the ones listed, although I have only had issues with Amazon.
You've mentioned this before, and it prompted me to check my Amazon card account this morning. I found a bogus charge - from Finland. I only use this card for Amazon and gasoline and they approved it. :facepalm:

Don't you guys get an email every time an order is placed against your Amazon account?

Back
Top Bottom