Asset allocation

Birchwood

Recycles dryer sheets
I know, there is no right answer for everybody. But, what is your current asset allocation in this trying time, when the market is going sideways or down.
Obviously being in retirement is different from younger working people.

My asset allocation is the same as always right now, though I do usually increase allocation to equities temporarily as the market goes down. You know, when equities go on sale that's not a bad time to buy them.

Also, I don't think this is a trying time. The market almost always drops by 10% or more EACH and EVERY YEAR at least ONCE.

My asset allocation is the same as always right now, though I do usually increase allocation to equities temporarily as the market goes down. You know, when equities go on sale that's not a bad time to buy them.

Also, I don't think this is a trying time. The market almost always drops by 10% or more EACH and EVERY YEAR at least ONCE.
And in fact, a 10% correction was several years overdue, so I felt some relief when it finally happened, in spite of the drama.

+1. I can't believe this is causing so many comments. Wake me up at -20%.

+1. I can't believe this is causing so many comments. Wake me up at -20%.
I think it's precisely because we hadn't had one since 2011. So for folks that have been following the markets only recently, it seems like a big deal.

The drop was very sudden and sharp, way faster than normal. So I can see how that would also make folks nervous.

Foreign stock indexes were down 10% in Oct 2014 and US indexes were not far behind. I count last October as another "buy stocks on sale" opportunity. And the drop last October was no slower than the drop in the past month.

I wonder if during next year's drop folks will have forgotten about the 2015 drop?

My AA is at 50/50 having dumped a load of equities into TIAA-Traditional in late spring to buy into a state pension plan. In only tangentially interested in market numbers as I've always planed to get income from other sources. While I was working it was wages and in retirement it's pensions, rent and SS, so I'll probably stay close to 50/50

I think it's precisely because we hadn't had one since 2011. So for folks that have been following the markets only recently, it seems like a big deal.

The drop was very sudden and sharp, way faster than normal. So I can see how that would also make folks nervous.

Probably.

On the other hand, my EEM (emerging markets) is down about 35% and FRN (frontier markets) has been down about 50% adjusted for dividends. The U.S. has been doing pretty nicely.

Back
Top Bottom