Retirement communities change for Boomers

My understanding is that pickleball has replaced shuffleboard as the obligatory silly-named game for old folks.

We're moving from the sincere stage to the serious stage in moving to SC Georgetown. House is on the market and we're driving down tomorrow for our 4th visit.

Makes sense for us..ymmv
  • we have no kids, family
  • social circles are easy to form
  • lots to do besides golf
  • close to superior medical facilities
  • homes are designed to age in place, easy to maintain

I think the term retirement community is more suited for assisted living or a nursing home...the folks we have seen there are extremely active, outgoing and happy. I'm sure there are many of the older residents home bound and not active, but isn't that true everywhere?

Only negative thus far are taxes and traffic in Georgetown. We've visited Robson Ranch and were planning to visit Frisco Lakes but decided we liked the Georgetown area.

Out: Golf courses and shuffleboard

In: Close to the city, walking trails, room for my stuff, a room or outbuilding for my visitors

Although it is not in a retirement community, my dream house that I just moved into this summer meets these criteria. So maybe the article is onto something!

I admit that I don't feel a burning need for shuffleboard here. :D

I guess I do not really want a community. I like people's company when they are on the same wavelength, but I don't want to feel "observed" and judged or have to put up with cliques/self-styled kingpins/queen bees, and I don't see how that is avoidable when everyone lives so close together and uses the same facilities.

Every video, web site, and brochure for these places shows the driveways so close together that you cannot avoid your neighbor. And naturally the "facilities" are shared, so you are always going to run into the same old people and if they aren't your cup of tea, or you aren't theirs, it gets awkward.

We're moving from the sincere stage to the serious stage in moving to SC Georgetown. House is on the market and we're driving down tomorrow for our 4th visit.

Makes sense for us..ymmv
  • we have no kids, family
  • social circles are easy to form
  • lots to do besides golf
  • close to superior medical facilities
  • homes are designed to age in place, easy to maintain

I think the term retirement community is more suited for assisted living or a nursing home...the folks we have seen there are extremely active, outgoing and happy. I'm sure there are many of the older residents home bound and not active, but isn't that true everywhere?

Only negative thus far are taxes and traffic in Georgetown. We've visited Robson Ranch and were planning to visit Frisco Lakes but decided we liked the Georgetown area.

We just bought my parents house in Sun City, Georgetown. Alas, two more years until retirement so it is rented out. I agree on taxes and traffic; especially coming from Alabama.

Marc

Our close friend was the minister at 1st United Methodist Church of Sun City (AZ). My parents used to go out and visit.

My parents really didn't enjoy Sun City very much because they said there were too many "old people" there. Of course, my parents were at least 75 years old at that time.

We have two young grandchildren we play a big part in raising. We downsized to our current house where we have all living areas on one floor and an apartment in the basement for a care giver--if ever needed. We're not ready to be around all those "old people" either.

My parents really didn't enjoy Sun City very much because they said there were too many "old people" there. Of course, my parents were at least 75 years old at that time.

This is such a common phenomenon that there really should be a word for it.

When my mother got too old to do her own shopping and cooking, it took me a while but I finally convinced her to move to a "retirement community" where she could just walk down the hall three times a day for meals. Her initial reaction was "This place is full of old people; I don't belong here." She was 88 at the time.

Old human beings may be the only creatures on earth who don't much care for their own kind. Children love to be around other kids; young people seek out other young people; families with children want to be around other families with children. But old people? "I don't belong here, everyone's like me!"

This is such a common phenomenon that there really should be a word for it.

When my mother got too old to do her own shopping and cooking, it took me a while but I finally convinced her to move to a "retirement community" where she could just walk down the hall three times a day for meals. Her initial reaction was "This place is full of old people; I don't belong here." She was 88 at the time.

My grandfather was 100 years old and living in a small home with 12 other residents. He told his kids, "get me out of here. I can't stand all these old people who just sit around watching tv and gumming their food!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Old human beings may be the only creatures on earth who don't much care for their own kind. Children love to be around other kids; young people seek out other young people; families with children want to be around other families with children. But old people? "I don't belong here, everyone's like me!"

Well, I do see your point, but also wanted to add that attitudes towards other old people depend to some extent on the individual. I think some people see their own mortality in the physical failings of other old people. Others see the wisdom and experience that other old people have gained over the years.

DH (67) and I (59) moved to The Villages, FL 15 months ago. I never thought I would end up in an over-55 community, but am really enjoying it. The Villages has more than 2,000 clubs and activities and people are super friendly. I still work a bit from home, but also go to activities every day, including yoga, line dancing, book group and women's club. DH belongs to 3 photography groups and 3 computer groups and has become tech support for our neighborhood. We have an annual pass to Disney. The kids come down for Disney and we go up north a couple of times a year. We FaceTime and Skype with the kids and grandkids all the time. One big plus about the distance: we never have to go to dance recitals or soccer games. I can't tell you how happy this makes us.

I've visited Sun City and Sun City Grand in Arizona when I was looking for a place and it seemed that these developments were mostly made up of people in their 70's and 80's. We're a little young to be living among that demographic. I also worked with a group of Del Webb residents a few years ago in trying to get them to accept an adjoining development we were working on. Again - nice people, but I wouldn't want to live among them. Some friends (mid-late 50's) just bought a house in a suburban Chicago Del Webb development. It'll be interesting to see how they like it a few months from now.

I still haven't figured out why we need to move to a "retirement community".
Neither did I... until too many changes occurred. We bought the present house, lived here many years now, figured to retire in-place. But there are changes in the neighborhood. Worst is the neighbor on one side, we have had to endure three generations of poor parenting with them, and the yard is hoarded. More "grandkids" coming via all sorts of low-moral engagements. The house is like a low-budget motel. Also, I find myself thinking "do I want to be doing this 10 years from now?"

So now I am thinking about age-restricted communities. I don't want yucky people living around me with all their shenanigans. I don't want kids all over misbehaving, with little to no actual parenting going on. I see the age restrictions, with no more than x-days overnight stays of someone less than 55 as a plus. And all of the enforced HOA rules as a plus. It's funny, I never lived in an HOA-covered house, never wanted to, and now I see why the hassle may be worth it. All it takes is one, or a few, trashy people to ruin it. And they are.

My understanding is that pickleball has replaced shuffleboard as the obligatory silly-named game for old folks.

Hey have you ever played pickleball? You would enjoy it if you like tennis and/or ping pong.

I've never played those, either! And probably never will. Nothing against the game itself; I just find the name inelegant. I can be funny about such things. :LOL:

Hey have you ever played pickleball? You would enjoy it if you like tennis and/or ping pong.

My parents settled in Sun City Center, FL, one of the original Del Webb retirement communities and I have spent a lot of time there over the 20 years they have been there. While it is true that there are a "lot of old people" there at the same time there are oodles of clubs and things to do. I certainly would consider one of those places. We have visited a few different Del Webb developments in our travels and have been impressed... the development in Palm Desert, CA was particularly nice.

I for one had never wanted to live in a community where everyone was like me, age, profession, race, interests, background, whatever. I have always gotten more pleasure from being with different and interesting people than from others exactly like me. Hey, if I want to be with me, I have that already, me.

I remember decades ago, as a young professional, with my own business, working from home, the real estate agent told us, we would feel comfortable here, everyone was like me. That was exactly the wrong thing to say. We specifically told the next real estate agent, now this was 25 years ago, we wanted a neighborhood where people were different, young, old, different backgrounds, etc.

So now, I am older, but nothing about this has changed for me. I like interesting different folks of all ages. I find that no matter how different we are, age, from different cultures, backgrounds, politics, race, religion, whatever, I find a great deal of common ideals, and have some interesting stories to share.

I can see the appeal of the "modern" retirement communities for a lot of people. The coolest, smartest, funniest couple we know are avid pickleball players and love it. They always laugh when they say the name.

I like living in a 55+ community which is the same as a "retirement" community. 55 isn't that old for a retiree, so there are plenty of active folks. It's relatively quiet and laid back, no work day commuters or school buses/car pools.

I still haven't figured out why we need to move to a "retirement community".

Different strokes for different folks. :flowers:

I am single and child-free. Around age 75 or so I will move into an affordable CCRC 30 miles from my current home. I currently live in a vibrant university community, and the CCRC is located in another active university community. If there were a similar, affordable CCRC in my current town I would move in there, but alas there is not. CCRC residents are heavily involved in volunteer activities in the broader community, including in the elementary schools, which appeals to me. The university down the road offers courses to residents through the OLLI program.

The CCRC also offers many classes and activities onsite, as well as hiking and biking clubs, and lots of cultural excursions, etc. You can take it or leave it - no one is forced to participate.

Residents must move into the "independent living" residences of the CCRC to start with, and if additional levels of care are eventually needed, it's all available in one location. No need to move again if there is a need for assisted living services, or memory care services, or god forbid the onset on alzheimer's. It is affiliated with a top-notch local hospital located 5 miles from its location. Some limited health care is available onsite, and if I become more decrepit down the road (!) transportation is provided wherever it is needed.

In the meantime, there is no requirement that residents remain on the grounds of the CCRC - they are still free to roam about in the greater community at any time! :D

For 30 years I have found all the diversity I need in my university community, and I know the same will be true of the new location. However, I also look forward to living in an age-restricted community when I reach my mid-70's. Grandchildren are permitted to visit for short periods, and that will be delightful - I can look forward to other people's grandchildren arriving, and then look forward just as much to their departure after a suitable interval!

I have very close relationships with some younger relatives (extended family) in my current town, but as I age, and possibly fall into the aforementioned state of decrepitude, I do not want them to feel in any way responsible for my care. They are the kind of young(er) folks who would voluntarily take on the burden of care for an older relative (I've seen them do it with their in-laws) and that is not their job. Mind you, I have extracted promises from them to "Come and Visit Me in The Home In My Declining Years" - we laugh about it - but that's as far as it goes!

I have made it clear to them that I will be financially independent, and have all my medical and other needs taken care of in the CCRC community.

I like the idea of writing one check a month, and having everything taken care of. No shoveling, no yard work, no dealing with replacing appliances and cleaning gutters and so on. Heck, I'll be living the Life of Riley when I move in there - better than I live now. I don't have my own pool now, but there's a nice big one at the CCRC. And two dining rooms if I'm too lazy too cook. And an onsite fitness center, so no excuse not to stay fit. :D

I look at the CCRC as a gift I am giving to myself and to my younger family members. We tend to be very pragmatic and also extremely long-lived. Many family members live into their late 90's, and a couple made it past 100. If I never need the nursing care at the CCRC, that's fine. But I will rest easy knowing it's there in a heartbeat if I do need it, and so will my family members.

Last edited:
I admit that I don't feel a burning need for shuffleboard here. :D

From the rumors I've heard about these senior communities, quite a few folks have a "burning" need, and I'm not talking shuffleboard... :LOL:

Regardless of any positives or negatives, my housing costs would rise dramatically if I moved into one of the Del Webb/Sun City-type communities, so it's a non-starter.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom