Vanguard ETFs - Canada vs US

point839

Dryer sheet wannabe
I've recently decided to fire our FA and move all of our money to Vanguard ETFs, mostly to lower management fees but also because the performance of our current mutual funds is less than stellar.

With the current dismal exchange rate of the CAD, I am wondering if I should just buy the Vanguard ETFs available on the Canadian exchange versus trying to take advantage of the Vanguard funds trading on the Amex. I'd be nice to have access to the Class of 2025/2030 ETFs (possibly also Wellington) but not sure if it's worth it at the moment given the exchange rate.

Any advice? Should I stick to the Canadian Vanguard ETFs for now?

Where can you buy Canadian ETF's ?
My belief is the CDN dollar will come back up, so I have some CDN I'd like to invest while I wait.
You can think of it as an investment in resources/oil/minerals as when those go up, the CDN dollar will rise.

Where can you buy Canadian ETF's ?
My belief is the CDN dollar will come back up, so I have some CDN I'd like to invest while I wait.
You can think of it as an investment in resources/oil/minerals as when those go up, the CDN dollar will rise.

Canadian Vanguard ETFs are traded on the TSE.
You are right, I'm going to invest all of it on the Canadian side for now and wait for the dollar to go up, thanks for the input :)

Canadian Vanguard ETFs are traded on the TSE.
You are right, I'm going to invest all of it on the Canadian side for now and wait for the dollar to go up, thanks for the input :)

Are you a US citizen or resident? If you are you should read up about PFICs and understand IRS Form 8621 before you think about buying foreign collective investment funds.

Back
Top Bottom