REI closing on Black Friday, paying employees

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I don't shop on BF anyway, but an interesting stance by one retailer.
On Black Friday this year, outdoor gear and apparel retailer REI is putting its money where its motto is.

The store that touts its dedication to “inspiring, educating, and outfitting” its customers and community to explore nature is staying closed on one of the nation’s busiest shopping days and will pay its employees to spend the day outdoors instead.
REI to close on Black Friday; pay employees to spend the day outdoors - Fortune

I'd be more impressed if they closed and paid their employees for spending the day outdoors on some not-Black Friday, but normally open, day. Doing it on Black Friday sounds like a publicity stunt...... And I'm sure it is.

I'd be more impressed if they closed and paid their employees for spending the day outdoors on some not-Black Friday, but normally open, day. Doing it on Black Friday sounds like a publicity stunt...... And I'm sure it is.
My ex employer paid me to stay home on that Friday for decades.

Seems a little cynical maybe? Undoubtedly there's a PR consideration, but REI is giving up a prime shopping day and giving employees paid time off. I'm having a hard time faulting them. YMMV

I'm sure that is good PR. REI doesn't want to look like a scrooge. Watched on the news yesterday that more shopping is done online anyhow so Black Friday could be more of a sit at home and shop on computer (or other device) day anyhow.

Seems a little cynical maybe? Undoubtedly there's a PR consideration, but REI is giving up a prime shopping day and giving employees paid time off. I'm having a hard time faulting them. YMMV

Good PR no question, hopefully the start of a trend for retail.

Although I shop frequently at REI, I wouldn't attempt to shop there on Black Friday if they were open. I agree - deciding to close is good PR on their part.

Back
Top Bottom