Batteries

REWahoo

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give
My family is suffering from what appears to be a battery virus that attacks without warning.

Three weeks ago our daughter (lives a few miles from us) called to see if we would loan her a car to get to work. Her battery was dead. Two days later the battery on her DH's truck went out. The following week I discovered the battery on my riding mower was dead - and wouldn't take a charge. Then we headed out on a 10 day RV trip, and on the third day the batteries in my truck failed. It has two batteries and although only one was shot I replaced them both (almost 4 years old).

We returned home and DW jumped in her 2014 Toyota and - you guessed it - the battery was dead - no sign of life whatsoever. Jump started it and took it to the dealer who said the battery checked out to be fine. To their credit, the service guy did agree there was no way the thing should have gone completely dead after sitting for only 10 days, so they installed a new one under warranty.

I found I'm now holding my breath each time I turn an ignition switch or push the start button.

That is strange :( . Just in time for Halloween.

That's bad luck.

DW has a 2014 Subaru that won't hold a charge long. Even a couple of weeks and it's heavily drained. I suspect the battery is undersized, but the car has so much electronic gear that stays on and uses battery even when the car is off I got a battery tender.

EMP over Texas?

With me, it's ants at Halloween.

And I leave lots of 'treats' out for them...outside.

Another reason to not live in Texas?

I hope someone will add it to the master list of why not to move to Texas. Every little bit helps.

Done.

Texas is infested with scorpions, rattlesnakes, fire ants, crazy raspberry ants, cockroaches on steroids, killer bees, mosquitoes, ticks, chiggers, tarantulas, brown recluse spiders, love bugs, swarming crickets, copperheads, cottonmouths, rabid skunks, wild hogs, alligators, oppressive heat & humidity, bleak desolate scenery, dirty beaches, polluted air, dust storms, drought, wildfires, water shortages, recurring floods, tornadoes, hurricanes, rednecks, huge piles of flaming mulch, spontaneously combusting playgrounds, roads hot as flowing lava, the stench of natural and unnatural gasses, pirate attacks and amoebic meningitis lurking in area lakes, recurring ebola virus outbreaks, flesh eating bacteria, the highest homeowner insurance rates in the US, unbelievably high property taxes, mandatory death sentences for DUI convictions, polygamous religious sects, random clusters of dead vehicle batteries, and, lest we forget, doesn't look kindly towards Yankees (per Orchidflower).

REW,

I have read that today's cars electronic systems use battery power even when the vehicle is not running. I guess it has to do with storing settings for the vehicle. A dead car battery after sitting for a week or two does not seem unusual.

I'm considering purchasing a lithium ion jump starter battery to be carried in the trunk. Any thoughts on this?

I'm considering purchasing a lithium ion jump starter battery to be carried in the trunk. Any thoughts on this?

I don't have any experience with them but a quick look on Amazon showed the most popular units are priced between $70 and $130. I was thinking of something MichaelB mentioned earlier- a battery tender. They are less expensive and will keep the battery charged when the car sits for several days:

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tende...qid=1446080187&sr=1-1&keywords=battery+tender

I think it is another variant of the bird flu virus, known as the battery chicken virus.

REW,

I have read that today's cars electronic systems use battery power even when the vehicle is not running. I guess it has to do with storing settings for the vehicle. A dead car battery after sitting for a week or two does not seem unusual.

I am also.... I had one of those big bulky (and crappy) lead acid ones that would keep a charge for a couple of months...

I have heard on many car shows that they are great... will also charge other electronics if needed...

Anybody have an suggestions:confused: (thread hijack :facepalm:)

I still use one of the lead acid types. I charge every 2 month whether used or not to keep the battery fresh. Making the charging a habit doesn't seem too bothersome. In fact, 11/1 the battery is due for the next recharge :).

Last edited:
Heat kills batteries, you need to move to a cooler part of Texas is you can find it.

REW,

I don't have any experience with them but a quick look on Amazon showed the most popular units are priced between $70 and $130. I was thinking of something MichaelB mentioned earlier- a battery tender. They are less expensive and will keep the battery charged when the car sits for several days:

Amazon.com: Battery Tender 021-0123 Battery Tender Junior 12V Battery Charger: Automotive

If the battery routinely is drained down, then I would NOT advise the 'jump starter' battery packs as a 'solution'.

STEP A) Measure the drain. If excessive, get it fixed.

STEP B) If the 'normal' drain is enough to discharge between uses (or if you can't get it fixed), then absolutely get some kind of 'float charger' (maybe a solar one would work for you - no external wires needed?).

The BIG problem (and maybe an explanation for your failed battery cluster problem),is that if you let it die, and then jump it when needed, that means the battery has been allowed to go low. Whenever a lead acid battery drops to 10.2V or lower, its life is cut short by A LOT. There is some reaction that takes place as the voltage gets in that range, and it is bad, and irreversible.

This kept happening to us when the kids were small, and they would not get the car doors closed tight enough to shut the light off. We would not notice, battery would be dead by AM. I'd jump it, but we went through a lot of batteries until we learned to monitor that closer, and the kids got stronger.
So keep them from draining down, and you will likely get much more life out of the batteries.

-ERD50

Last edited:
Heat kills batteries, you need to move to a cooler part of Texas is you can find it.
There is a lot to that.

When I lived in South FL, batteries never lasted for anyone. 4 years was a miracle.

Northerners complain because when it is -20F, it won't crank, but the battery is just part of that ugly equation.

Back
Top Bottom