The secret to a happier, healthier life: Just retire

Senator

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Who would have thought...? I'm in. Just 6 more months...

Retirement, contrary to popular opinion, is not the time in which your satisfaction with life declines and your health deteriorates. Instead, it’s the exact opposite: Retirement is likely to improve your overall happiness and health, according to a working paper published by the National Bureau of Economic Research this year.

The secret to a happier, healthier life: Just retire - MarketWatch

We find that retirement improves both happiness and health. We find that life satisfaction improves immediately upon retirement and these effects are long-lasting. While we don’t find immediate effects on measurable health outcomes, we do find positive health impacts four or more years beyond retirement. This finding is consistent with the idea that health changes slowly over time so that retirement can have long run health benefits. We find no effect of retirement on health care utilization.

DW definitely agrees with these findings. Now if I could just get her to pack it in too.

Who would have thought...? I'm in. Just 6 more months...

The secret to a happier, healthier life: Just retire - MarketWatch

After 6 years of retirement now, there is no doubt that this has been true for me. I will say, though, that you have to plan in advance for what you will actually DO in retirement (how you will spend your time), before you leave the working world. I thought about it a lot in the years leading up to retirement, and I have had no problem keeping myself occupied, doing things I enjoy. As for the health aspect, my health has definitely improved since retirement, mostly due to having more time to cook and eat healthier meals, exercise more, and of course lose some of the stress associated with working. But, again, you have to be willing to put a little effort into it, especially with regard to daily exercise. You don't need to go to the gym every day (or at all, really), but you need to stay active in some way. For me, daily exercise is so ingrained now that I would really miss it if I couldn't do it for some reason.

As I've said in other threads, taking care of my health is my "job" now, and I am my own boss, which is great.......

I am going to find out soon. Today was my last day at work. :D

Congratulations.

I agree with both articles. Best move of my life. Not only is my health better, DW'S is too.

After 6 years of retirement now, there is no doubt that this has been true for me. I will say, though, that you have to plan in advance for what you will actually DO in retirement (how you will spend your time), before you leave the working world. I thought about it a lot in the years leading up to retirement, and I have had no problem keeping myself occupied, doing things I enjoy. As for the health aspect, my health has definitely improved since retirement, mostly due to having more time to cook and eat healthier meals, exercise more, and of course lose some of the stress associated with working. But, again, you have to be willing to put a little effort into it, especially with regard to daily exercise. You don't need to go to the gym every day (or at all, really), but you need to stay active in some way. For me, daily exercise is so ingrained now that I would really miss it if I couldn't do it for some reason.

As I've said in other threads, taking care of my health is my "job" now, and I am my own boss, which is great.......
I planned for spontaneity in retirement.
I agree with everything you said about being the "boss of your health" in retirement. Health is above all.

Last edited:
Congratulations robnplunder !!!

I retired earlier in the year, am enjoying the relaxed pace of life, but I need to remind myself not to get lazy.

Merry Christmas & wishing you the best in retirement.

Thanks all for the congrats. Related to this topic, I believe retirement will benefit most people when it comes to improving health. I believe I will live longer. The work was killing me surely, and slowly.

Congrats robnplunder.

7 years into ER, I absolutely agree on the happiness aspect.

With regards to health, we were both fit and healthy before ER, so no obvious change there. We are a LOT less stressed though (more like - not stressed at all) and I am sure there are long term benefits to that.

Back
Top Bottom